Grammar check

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2014 01:34 am
Would you say "Look inside p.55" when referring to something inserted in between the pages? Or "Look inside at p.55"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 508 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2014 03:47 am
@kafkareich,
Neither.

I would always use an even numbered page.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2014 04:39 am
@kafkareich,
kafkareich wrote:
Would you say "Look inside p.55" when referring to something inserted in between the pages? Or "Look inside at p.55"

If you mean something inserted in a book, between the pages, such as a piece of paper, a photograph, postcard, pressed flower, etc, then you could say "look in [book title] between (or in between) pages 54 and 55". Note that by convention, each even numbered page (each "verso" page) is on the same piece of paper as the preceding odd numbered page (or "recto" page) so that nothing can be inserted between an odd numbered page and the following even numbered page.

kafkareich

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2014 08:02 am
@contrex,
What do you mean by nothing can be inserted between an odd numbered page and the following numbered page? How would I insert a piece of paper or a note then?
contrex

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2014 09:21 am
@kafkareich,
kafkareich wrote:
What do you mean by nothing can be inserted between an odd numbered page and the following numbered page? How would I insert a piece of paper or a note then?

You can only insert something between an even numbered page and the following odd numbered page. This is because of the way books are made. Have you not noticed this? Do you know what even and odd numbers are?

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2014 10:31 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
nothing can be inserted between an odd numbered page and the following even numbered page.

I got this the wrong way around!
dalehileman

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2014 11:23 am
@contrex,
Well whaddya know Con, at age 83 to learn even's on the left, odd on the right. It's not everyday…..
0 Replies

knaivete

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 01:16 am
@contrex,
Quote:

Quote:
Re: contrex (Post 5771812)
contrex wrote:
nothing can be inserted between an odd numbered page and the following even numbered page.

I got this the wrong way around!

You were recto the first time.

Jest the merest thought of pressed flowers evokes contemplation of the most dulcet. mellifluous, consonance:

"Turn to page 55".

0 Replies