Whom Are or For Whom Are?

H-K

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 12:46 pm
I was asked to create a layout for a bulletin board that is primarily family related and casual. It is brightly colored and will be used to post photos and personal remarks relating to safety. The main text was to read, "Who are you safe for?" I'm aware that this syntax is now considered acceptable for very relaxed situations, however I chose to use "Whom are you safe for?" as I felt it was the most appropriate and balanced choice given the informal yet reflective purpose of the bulletin board. I am aware that "For whom are you safe?" would also be a perfectly acceptable choice in terms of proper syntax, but it feels terribly pedantic given the situation. I do not wish to sound stuffy or pretentious; it would not be appropriate considering the audience. I would appreciate discussion of what might be the best syntax for this phrase considering the project at hand. Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,176 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 01:02 pm
You're not talking about syntax, you're talking about the appropriate use of the interrogative personal pronouns. Whom has so far fallen out of use that formally or informally, who is used when an interrogative personal pronoun is called for.

I find the biggest problem to be your use of safe. What the hell is that supposed to mean?
H-K

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 01:27 pm
@Setanta,
The phrase must be used as it is part of a safety campaign, (with one of the three options discussed). The questions is asked to make people think about the people they are practicing good safety habits for. They will be able to share photos to illustrate further.

I'm asking about syntax in context of the situation, I suppose. All three forms are still considered 'appropriate' in general. I myself do not care for "whom" and agree that it is outdated. However, there is some concern over the way it will be phrased, which is why I'm asking for discussion on which might sound most appropriate for this bulletin board so I can present a good argument for the choice I make, if necessary. I'm trying to keep the armchair linguists at bay while attempting to avoid sounding, as I said before... pedantic. I'm really only looking for thoughts regarding which of the three might be most appropriate; you appear to have opted for "Who." (Which was my original and preferred choice). Thanks for your input : )
Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 02:09 pm
Jeeze . . . not safe "for," safe with. "Who are you safe with?" "With shom are you safe." Syntax has nothing to do with this question. You have several options, and whether you use who or whom is not a question of syntax. How you construct the phrase with one or the other of them is the only thing that relates to syntax.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 02:41 pm
@H-K,

Quote:
The questions is asked to make people think about the people they are practicing good safety habits for.

Okay so I would probably use

"WHO ARE YOU BEING SAFE FOR?"
or
"Who cares about YOUR safety?"

or some such simple phrase.
H-K

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 03:17 pm
@McTag,
I'm can't disclose too much information for business reasons, but let me help clarify a bit more, for both you and Setanta.

First off, I MUST use the phrase as stated, except for the forms I've asked about, whether it sounds right or not. It doesn't help me if people try to reword it more than asked, as much as we all REALLY want to. ; )

Secondly, we are to think about people, for example, who are at home... our family, children, etc. So it's not whom we're safe WITH, but.. for! I can't help the way it's worded, please understand. I just am asking what form of it would work best in a casual bulletin board situation: Who, Whom, or For Whom.

Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 03:30 pm
@H-K,
In that case, i'd say use "who."
wene69

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 11:33 pm
@H-K,
How about "who inspires you to be safe"
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2014 01:27 am
@Setanta,