Food for relief

jeffers

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 11:41 am
I've been a little stressed with school lately, and have been struggling to get enough sleep. I've found that I haven't had the energy to keep up a conversation through my phone or email, even the important ones. I fear I'm slowly becoming somewhat delirious and manic (self-diagnosed, of course). That said, I haven't been at school for 4 weeks yet. What food do you recommend to help get over this current predicament? I'm looking for something that gives energy. Time and availability for ingredients is not an issue, since I do not cook, and I may not even try your dish.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,765 • Replies: 4
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 01:44 pm
@jeffers,
My new snack treat is odd even to me. A friend and I went to a small french restaurant and I ordered a salad nicoise, which was, yes, a salad, but had two interesting things in it that I really liked, so the next day, the leftovers were great.
One was grilled salmon with some crusty topping (never mind, as delicious as it was, that's expensive as a routine food) and the other was green beans, probably french ones, that were only cooked (boiled? sauteed? grilled? I didn't ask, but there were still partly crunchy) and had a little bit of tasty salad dressing on them.
The next week I made my own batch of them - this isn't hard. Put some butter or oil in a frying pan, put the washed and drained ordinary green beans in it, and saute (low/medium flame) until one tastes good. Add what you want to the pan while sauteeing - garlic, chile powder, salt and pepper, whatever.

One pound of green beans lasted me a week, eaten cold from the refrigerator.

Beats tortilla chips in a lot of ways and still tastes good.

Time to learn to cook. Or at least consider eating fresh vegetables (many taste good completely raw) with some kind of dip that you either get from a jar or make yourself.

Do you like or hate canned fish? Tuna salad sandwiches - slap tuna/mayo onto bread, eat - can be quite good for you. We used to call fish "brain food".
ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 01:56 pm
One more - if you have access to a microwave or regular oven. Cut a sweet potato or yam in half, heat in micro or oven - I don't know the timing in a microwave, lots of data online - eat even the skin (which you washed first). Delicious with butter or some drops of olive oil or plain, and full of vitamins.

also -
Precooked sausage from the market? Heat in micro?
These are full of baddies but are at least protein.
Even market precooked "rotisserie" chicken is protein in a grocery bag.

0 Replies

jeffers

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 02:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Hi Osso,
I love fish in general, and I have always considered it a brain food. Unfortunately, I'm not a huge fan of salad nicoise. The salad you described, however, does sound delicious. I'm a very conscientious eater, and in general my diet has been one that is balanced, healthy, and fresh. I never eat fast food, and even then it becomes a social thing. I love the idea of cooking though I've rarely had great success in the kitchen. My biggest struggle with learning to cook has been finding time to cook. Besides school, which takes up a large portion of my day, I must balance cello and singing practice, a choir with a long commute, and swimming morning and afternoons.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 02:25 pm
@jeffers,
Right, I was assuming you don't have time, but didn't know if you were around things like refrigerators, microwaves, ovens. Glad you already get the balanced and fresh thing, I might have been speaking to the middle so I apologize. I completely get that you have only so much energy. Will think harder..

I know you recognize me but don't really know your old user name* so I was talking middle of the road.

There's a dip I like and a lot of other people hate - bagna cauda (olive oil, garlic, anchovies, heated somehow but even that is not imperative) - for fresh broccoli, cauliflower, similar. I've never seen it in the store, but it is easy enough to do and keep in the refrigerator, later to micro -

* I don't remember the name Jeffers but might now begin to but not actually recognize your writing

http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/marcella-hazans-bagna-cauda-anchovy-and-garlic-dip
'course, there are aisles of jarred dips..
0 Replies