First time taking ambien.... This should be fun.

Germlat

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 06:34 pm
@Uncanny,
He-he...you're at least looking at it objectively....I think you're right to lower the dose . You're braver than I am.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 06:35 pm
@Uncanny,
I'm listening.. I thing I would take up Herodotus instead. (I haven't finished it, somewhere in the middle)

I'm odd, and I'm night blind in both eyes and quite blind in one. Great in the good one.

I need light on, or I couldn't navigate around my house. This is not to feel sorry about, a long term thing, most of my life. Just that we are not all alike.

This is good, with lights on, as I can read at night. Some books make me snooze fast.

History is good for sleep inducement.

Personally, a half of a small benydryl will will put me out.
0 Replies

Uncanny

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 06:47 pm
@Germlat,
I missed you question earlier, yes it is because of my irregular shifts. I have always had trouble sleeping. My mind stays at a constant uproar, and I can lay awake for hours. My job works for me pretty well, it keeps me exhausted working 16 to 18 hour days 16 days at a time. The medication is to help me rest normally on my 5 day off period. I am kind of an idiot, and look at everything I can as an experiment to observe. After I was prescribed it, I looked up side effects, and experiences with the drug, and this looked way too fun. My prescribed dose is 5mg.
roger

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 06:48 pm
@Uncanny,
Uncanny wrote:

You have a true potential for unique creativity.

There is that, of course.
0 Replies

One Eyed Mind

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 06:50 pm
@Uncanny,
Well, thank you, Uncanny.

It takes an artist to see an artist, friend.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 06:55 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
oh, geez, an artist.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 06:55 pm
@ossobuco,
oh, geez, a conformist.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 08:20 pm
No wonder you feel clumsy. Ambien is a sleeping pill. And 20mg is a big dose.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 10:17 pm
I'll suggest not doing this drug thing.
I'm not you, but sort of get it.

Read - you will get bored, or.. even better, get interested.

Books trigger sleep for me often, even the ones I care about.
Uncanny

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 12:36 am
@ossobuco,
I don't have an addictive attitude at all. My father had that problem and it has led me far from it. This is just a prescription to aid the first coupe nights or days of my transition. I have had them for a month without taking any. Just taking it and documenting the effects as I go. I have only done what the doc has advised.
0 Replies

Uncanny

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 12:38 am
That being said

10mg dose taken@ 1:00am central us
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 01:03 am
I usually shut myself up with history books or the equivalent, but that's just usual behavior.

I happen to almost always itch, years' long story, and was prescribed a drug for that that made me hallucinate,
I prefer to itch.

Anyway, on rare occasions I take a half of an ordinary benaldryl. Whence I sometime later fall asleep.

I used to take much more benadryl, way too much, and cut myself off. What had happened was that it kept taking much more to work, re my allergies. I bought my last bottle of it something like eight years ago - I now use it carefully.

However, a side affect of my taking a half of one now is that I get sleepy.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 05:23 pm
@Uncanny,
When I have disruptions in my sleep cycle, or just difficulty falling asleep, I take Melatonin which I get OTC at the drug store. It was my doctor who originally suggested I take it, but he cautioned me not to take it nightly for more than 3 months. I generally never need to take it more than a few nights in a row.

I find it very effective in helping me fall asleep, generally about 45 min after I take it, and it leaves me with no aftereffects or side-effects. It just helps me to feel drowsy enough to drift off to sleep, often while listening to CNN simply as background noise. I think it would be helpful to someone who does shift work.
Quote:
. Overall, research indicates improved sleep when melatonin is taken at the appropriate time for jet lag and shift work .
http://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-topics/melatonin-and-sleep

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-940-melatonin.aspx?activeingredientid=940&activeingredientname=melatonin

One Eyed Mind

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 05:27 pm
When I had chronic insomnia for many years, I spent that time walking out into my living room while everyone was asleep to think about life. For some reason, standing in darkness makes the Universe feel that much closer.
0 Replies

Uncanny

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2014 11:12 pm
@firefly,
Thanks I'll try it.
0 Replies