Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 12:39 pm
I'm stuck with this...
The further away galaxies are from us, the further back in time we are seeing because of the speed of light. But, last week, last year or a billion years ago these galaxies were nearer to us. Which version of the past is correct?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 2,644 • Replies: 31

dalehileman

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 12:50 pm
@carbonfootie,
Car you might have to restate the q for benefit of the Average Clod (me)
One Eyed Mind

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 03:35 pm
Carbon, we're not looking at time in relation to our time.

The stars we see in the sky are not based on the star's past - it's still the present. When a light takes so long to reach us, that's just us seeing the light of the star - it's not "the star", so when we see the light, we're not seeing the star, therefore the light is "present".
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 04:42 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Car you might have to restate the q for benefit of the Average Clod (me)

dale, what carbon is referring to is the fact that in an expanding universe, everything is receding from us. Therefore, what is it we are seeing when we see something that is millions of light-years from us? Is it what was real a million lbillion years ago or, in view of the changes in distance, . . . ?
Germlat

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 08:23 pm
@carbonfootie,
carbonfootie wrote:

I'm stuck with this...
The further away galaxies are from us, the further back in time we are seeing because of the speed of light. But, last week, last year or a billion years ago these galaxies were nearer to us. Which version of the past is correct?

What makes it even more confusing is that the universe both expands and contracts.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 08:34 pm
@Germlat,
Like a spiral?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 12:12 am
@carbonfootie,
There is no "correct" version of "time". Time is a concept useful to humanity in what we call "our conscious attempts to predict and control". It has no physical status in its own right and is inextricable from what call "space". Big bang theory conceives of space-time emanating from "a singularity", but theories are just temporary explanatory paradigms for current human purposes.

Finally, note that your phrase "...were nearer to us" becomes vacuous if you also concede there was no "us" at "the time". Smile
Research "naive realism" for an overview of where your problems lie.
roger

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 12:15 am
@Germlat,
At the same time?
0 Replies

carbonfootie

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 02:12 am
@dalehileman,
hi dale, most cosmology books seem to use the line "run the video backwards" so that the older positions of galaxies (matter) converge, maybe even to a singularity. All well and good, but when we observe these galaxies now, because of the speed of light, we say we are looking back x billions of years. Its like two versions of what the past is.
carbonfootie

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 02:19 am
Many thanks for your replies. I'm just an interested amateur. So much of cosmology is mental wrestling to me.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 10:06 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Is it what was real a million lbillion years ago or, in view of the changes in distance, . . . ?
Thanks Andy but I'm still totally in the dark. Maybe it's my incipient Alz's
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 10:35 am
@carbonfootie,
Quote:
older positions of galaxies (matter) converge,
Thanks but sorry Car, still in the dark (pun intended). I had understood that the further out you go the further apart they are

Ghat is, discounting the notion of Big Crunch of course

Quote:
when we observe these galaxies now…..we say we are looking back x billions of years
But that's the way I had always understood it
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 10:58 am
@carbonfootie,
carbonfootie wrote:

I'm stuck with this...

They are both correct.

1. We see the galaxies as they were (and at the location they were) at the point when the light left them.
2. They have continued to travel away from us since the light left them.

There is no contradiction here.

dalehileman

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 11:01 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
There is no contradiction here.
Yea Car I don't see one either. What are they trying to say

Or what is it they've said that I don't comprehend
One Eyed Mind

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 02:36 pm
@maxdancona,
No, we see the light, not what is now long dead.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 11:00 am
@One Eyed Mind,
Quote:
No, we see the light, not what is now long dead.
Thanks Mind, but since this seems so very obvious I still can't understand the thrust of Car's OP
carloslebaron

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 05:26 pm
@carbonfootie,
Sensation and perception rules what it can be the best answer.

Years ago I discovered a law of perception that is based solely in factual observation. I called it "The Perceptional Law" which states that we can perceive solely the present of the universe.

This perception applies to everything that exists regardless the distance.
We humans, cannot perceive the past neither the future with our senses, so any theory encouraging the idea that we see the universe as it was in its past is just a crap theory.

In order to understand the process of perception of far away bodies, you must learn that we humans can't see the traveling light. This is to say, for our eyes light is transparent. What we can see in the universe is the images of bodies and illumination.

With this fact in your hand, you will learn that the only way to see the image of a body is when light actually is reflecting in its surface. For example, we see the Sun not because its light arrives to us (light from the Sun never travels as "images"), but because when nuclear activity is in progress in this body, light comes out of it, but also light travels against its own source, in this case, the Sun and illuminates the surface.

So, with this another universal rule that we perceive objects solely when light reflects in the surface of objects, you will learn that if you see a star, that this star exists like it is in your sighting at the moment of observation. (this is to say, simultaneously)

Just think about it, if the image you see of the star is not the star itself but the image of the star "as it was 1 million years ago", the question is, where is the star at this moment?

As no scientists can answer this simple question, as no one of them have a single clue of how to answer it, there you have it, just don't pay attention to those in ignorance.

Before listening crap theories about light and the images of objects, remember this fact, that our senses cannot perceive the past and that we cannot see the light coming from stars, and that light from stars do not travel as images.

The Perceptional Law is the greatest discovery ever made, because it rules over every branch of knowledge.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 05:56 pm
@dalehileman,
Car's OP is calling it a star, when it's not the star we're seeing - it's the light of the star. The star is dead behind that light we see, which it created, that is coming towards our planet still. There's no relation point confusion between us and space - it's a mistake on the OP's assessment.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 06:01 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

There is no "correct" version of "time".

Are you late for a lot of appointments? Get your watch fixed.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 07:13 am
@carloslebaron,
I would be a lot more prone to consider your "perceptional law" (it's actually a theory, rather than a "law") quite seriously if your tone in propounding it wasn't quite so arrogantly self-aggrandizing. You dictate rather than explain.