Which sentence is most correct?

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 07:28 pm
I'm personally inviting all of these guys (and a date!) to a show on tour next year, it's on me.

or

I'm personally inviting all of these guys (and their date!) to a show on tour next year, it's on me.

or
I'm personally inviting all of these guys (and their dates!) to a show on tour next year, it's on me.

or
I'm personally inviting all of these guys (and their dates!) to a show on tour next year; it's on me.

or do all of them have a mistake?

Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 518 • Replies: 7
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by victorcarjan
One Eyed Mind

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 07:30 pm
Definitely 4.
victorcarjan

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 07:32 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
I thought so.

For sentence #1: Could you explain why it is wrong, so that I may compare your response with my own?
One Eyed Mind
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 07:35 pm
@victorcarjan,
Well, when you say guys, but then say "a date", it felt like you got your singulars and plurals all messed up. Then when you say "it's on me", you include it with the same sentence, when there is a massive break between it and the rest of the sentence.
victorcarjan

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 07:47 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
yes!

So one might misinterpret the meaning of sentence #1. Instead of saying that each guy can bring a date, the way it was grammatically written would imply a date for the subject "I" in "I'm"?
One Eyed Mind

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 07:57 pm
@victorcarjan,
It's more than misinterpretation - it's like this grammatical error that has this stop in it which reminds me of those moments where I am about to climax, but then suddenly something distracts me long enough to lose it. I lost the damn flow.
victorcarjan

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 08:04 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
OK...

I think I get it.....there should be an exclamation point a semi-colon then the last part.

but forget the semi-colon error. Does the "and a date" imply that the date is for the subject "I" rather than "guys".

Rephrase..... What if the intention was to invite the guys and a date for "I", not for each guy in guys...would it have been correct?
One Eyed Mind

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 08:14 pm
@victorcarjan,
Yes. It does indeed transfer over the linguistic conversion between "I", "guys" and "date". It would be extremely confusing and colloquially illiterate to write it in that manner.
0 Replies