Girlfriend and I moved to New Zealand

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 01:27 am
Her mom and dad are going to retire in NZ. I asked her If she ever would want to buy a house where I'm from in NH where my family is. She said no immediately. I was floored. We have been together for two years. Now i have the decision of staying in NZ and only seeing my twin brother and family only once a year, or moving back to the states by myself. any ideas?

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 01:39 am
@pattr4201,
1.Have you tried asking your girlfriend why she flatly refuses to consider a move to the USA?

2.Are the parents Kiwis? Or just retiring there from somewhere else?

3. Is your brother an identical twin? If so, can't you just swap places with him when you all meet up, so that both of you can take turns living in NZ?

So many questions.....
pattr4201

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 01:42 am
@Lordyaswas,
She told me she dose'nt want to move to NH her wholr family are not kiwis they are permanent residents
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 01:50 am
@pattr4201,
I assume that NH is New Hampshire? (you see, I'm not American, but English....and I live near the old and original Hampshire.)

If they are permanent residents, I'm guessing they are British or Australian, maybe?

0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 01:56 am
@pattr4201,
Pattr, you will probably find that the only responses you will get for a while will be from Oz or Britain, due to the time zones.
9am here.....6pm ish there, right?

Over in the States, it is roughly 3am and everyone is snoring.

I'm just about to go and walk the dog in the beautiful English autumnal countryside, so you may be on your own here for a while.
Try this again at about your lunchtime tomorrow, and you will find this thread crawling with various nice Americans.

Good luck.

Now, where are my boots?.......
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 03:49 am
Much like your Uncle Cyril, Lordy, we tend not to mention New Hampshire (there . . . i said it!) in polite conversation, or at all in public. It is entirely possible that the overwhelming majority of the population there are liberal, and routinely eat a healthy diet.
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 04:23 am
@Setanta,
Yes, Uncle Cyril always used to complain about the ready availability of polyunsaturates there. And lack of bacon in their diet.

Sounded ghastly.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 05:22 am
Live free or die, bitches!

Ahem, sorry to the OP.

The other side of the world is of course a huge commitment. I'm thinking your girlfriend doesn't want to be in the same position that you would find yourself in. E. g. only seeing family a few times a year. Truth is, it's her parents who are creating this situation (who retires to New Zealand, anyway, unless they have ties there, as Lordy alluded to).

Scenarios can play out as follows:
  1. You both stay in the states; her parents move. She sees them twice a year.
  2. You both move with her parents. You see your own family twice a year.
  3. You and your girlfriend move to some third location and piss off everyone. Both of you only see family on occasion. How do you feel about Morocco?
  4. Your girlfriend's parents stay and everyone's happy. OR
  5. You and your girlfriend break up and everyone does whatever.

She chose option #5 because option #4 isn't going to happen. I gotta say I agree with her. It's kinder to just end it. Are her parents creating this situation? Absolutely; they are the drivers of all of the action here. They are making her choose between you and them.

She chose them.
Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 05:29 am
@jespah,
Ah-hahahahaha . . . i had forgotten about the license plates.

http://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/images/Actual-Parks-Plate.jpg
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 06:09 am
How "close" is she to her family? I mean, there is "close" and then there is too close. Would she EVER move ANYWHERE else? Check this out. (Maybe you are dating a mommy's girl.)

If you two are talking marriage, BOTH of you are going to have to decide what's best for you AS A COUPLE.

Get this settled BEFORE you get any closer to this gal.
0 Replies