Hotel California

milimi

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 01:12 pm

Hello,

I need advice to translate "Hotel California;
I will ask questions after the lyrics of the song.

"Hotel California"

On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air
Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
I had to stop for the night
There she stood in the doorway;
I heard the mission bell
And I was thinking to myself,
"This could be Heaven or this could be Hell"
Then she lit up a candle and she showed me the way
There were voices down the corridor,
I thought I heard them say...

Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the Hotel California
Any time of year (Any time of year)
You can find it here

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends
She got a lot of pretty, pretty boys she calls friends
How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.
Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

So I called up the Captain,
"Please bring me my wine"
He said, "We haven't had that spirit here since nineteen sixty nine"
And still those voices are calling from far away,
Wake you up in the middle of the night
Just to hear them say...

Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
They livin' it up at the Hotel California
What a nice surprise (what a nice surprise)
Bring your alibis

Mirrors on the ceiling,
The pink champagne on ice
And she said "We are all just prisoners here, of our own device"
And in the master's chambers,
They gathered for the feast
They stab it with their steely knives,
But they just can't kill the beast

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
"Relax, " said the night man,
"We are programmed to receive.
You can check-out any time you like,
But you can never leave! "

1) 5th Paragraph : "They livin' it up at the Hotel California" (I think the verb 'are' is implied, am I wrong?)

A French English teacher told me that this sentence was meaning "They are having their wedding night at the Hotel california" but I was not convinced by this translation.
Could it not have a better translation?
Could the meaning be : "They are living good life" , "they are making feast(party)" or in the context of the song "They are taking a lot of drug"?

2) 5th para. : "Bring your alibis"

How can we explain this sentence? Which kind of alibis does it speak about?

3) 6th para. : "The pink champagne on ice"

Does this sentence speaks only about the colour of the champagne served on ice or has it a hidden meaning?
Usually, the champagne is not drunk with ice.

4) 6th para. : "But they just can't kill the beast"

What does 'beast' represent here? Could it be 'drug addiction'?

5) Last para. : "We are programmed to receive"

What does this mean in the context of the song?

6) Last para. : "You can check-out any time you like"

Usually, 'check-out' means 'pay' but what does it mean here?

7) Last para. : "But you can never leave"

Does this ligne means that "but you can never overcome drug addiction"?

Have a good day.
Thank you.

glitterbag

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 02:20 pm
@milimi,
There is a lot of artistic license going on with this song. Your French-English teachers interpretation would be the farthest thing that I would have thought of. "Living it up" can mean having a party, going on a shopping spree, or a night on the town. I don't think the Eagles had any deep meanings embedded in their lyrics. That song just struck a familiar note with listeners when it was first released and it's still very popular.

The word alibi usually means have excuses ready if you have to account for your time.

Champagne on ice means champagne served in a bucket of ice to keep it chilled, it doesn't mean you drink it over ice. It's an normal expression to say we have beer and wine on ice, it just means it's keep chilled in a container of ice.

#4. Your guess is as good as mine

#5 & 6. Are hotel references, when you check out, you pay and leave
Programmed to receive means they have a method to accept reservations

The entire song is supposed to be a mystery, it can mean whatever it means to you. You can google Eagles interviews and they occassionally are asked what that song means. There are many veiled drug references, and as much as enjoy the music I don't believe there is only one explanation for the meaning of the lyrics.

You should check out "life in the fast lane", that's more about drugs and a wild, reckless lifestyle.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 02:28 pm
@milimi,
Nobody can tell the exact meaning of this song. The artists prefer it this way as it is more alluring. My personal belief is that the meaning has to do with the price to be paid for fortune and fame. I think the song has a dream-like quality which is very representative of the singer. He has done this other times, for example in "Boys of Summer", which is one of my personal favorites ( including video).
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 04:23 pm
@milimi,
This should help you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_California
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 01:54 am
Thanks, Butrflynet, for providing a reasonable reply.

I would also point out the ligne is French--in English, one says "line." For that matter, ligne is not a word in English.
milimi

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 02:58 am
@Setanta,
Of course Setanta 'ligne' is French.
Sorry for the mistake.
Setanta

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 03:50 am
There's no reason to apologize, i just didn't know if you knew that.

Read the link which Butrflynet has provided, it lays out the rather vague basis for the song. Popular music is not to be considered a source of great truths or even minor wisdom. In the video below, the songwriter John Lennon explains to a young man that songwriting is actually just a random process. (I don't know what language the subtitles are in, but that doesn't matter.)

0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 07:41 am
@milimi,
milimi wrote:

Of course Setanta 'ligne' is French.
Sorry for the mistake.

Don't apologize...it was obvious to everyone. Wink
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 08:50 am
Very good responses y'all. I especially like the reference to the "Boys Of Summer" another of Henley's atmospheric songs that captures a time and place.

A bit off-topic but interesting to me is that the Eagles toured with Jethro Tull in 1970 and were certainly influenced by this song "We Used To Know" although no charges of plagiarism have ever been made.
Germlat

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 09:05 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Very good responses y'all. I especially like the reference to the "Boys Of Summer" another of Henley's atmospheric songs that captures a time and place.

A bit off-topic but interesting to me is that the Eagles toured with Jethro Tull in 1970 and were certainly influenced by this song "We Used To Know" although no charges of plagiarism have ever been made.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sJA_VF5c7U[/youtube]

Wow...the influence is certainly palpable. I had never heard that song...interesting.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 09:07 am
In 1977 an inlaw stayed with my wife and me for several weeks. She loved Hotel California obsessively. She wrote the lyrics on every scrap of paper in the apartment. When I found it written several times in my most important spiral notebook, I tore out those pages and then put a message on the cover: "PRIVATE. Do not write in here." Next day, more pages had Hotel California on them. And, each time she transcribed the song lyrics, she signed her name, in the way one might expect of the author. I started bringing my paper to work with me. I refused to listen to that song for over twenty years. I have since relented and no longer turn the station when it starts to play.
panzade

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 09:12 am
@edgarblythe,
Very Happy
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 09:14 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

In 1977 an inlaw stayed with my wife and me for several weeks. She loved Hotel California obsessively. She wrote the lyrics on every scrap of paper in the apartment. When I found it written several times in my most important spiral notebook, I tore out those pages and then put a message on the cover: "PRIVATE. Do not write in here." Next day, more pages had Hotel California on them. And, each time she transcribed the song lyrics, she signed her name, in the way one might expect of the author. I started bringing my paper to work with me. I refused to listen to that song for over twenty years. I have since relented and no longer turn the station when it starts to play.

That is one creepy outlaw.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 12:36 pm
Germlat

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 03:24 pm
@izzythepush,
Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 07:08 pm
I can't figure out why the teacher would chose a song like this to translate.

She should have had them translate Stairway to Heaven or Louie Louie. You know, songs that make sense.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 11:09 am
@milimi,
According to snopes the song is supposed to be about the greed in the music industry/greed in southern CA.

Hotel California is an allegory about hedonism and greed in Southern California in the 1970s. At the time of its release, the Eagles were riding high in the music world, experiencing material success on a frightening level. Though they thoroughly enjoyed the money, drugs, and women fame threw their way, they were disquieted by it all and sought to pour that sense of unease into their music and to warn others about the dark underside of such adulation.

In a 1995 interview, Don Henley said the song "sort of captured the zeitgeist of the time, which was a time of great excess in this country and in the music business in particular." In another interview that same year, he referred to it as being about a "loss of innocence."

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/hotel.asp#l2MdkW681OvtIqqx.99
0 Replies