Requesting a paternity test

srp1975

Tue 9 Sep, 2014 02:04 pm
I have my court hearing tomorrow and I am wondering if I can ask for a paternity test then? I have reasons to believe the baby might not be mine. Is this something I can tell the judge or is it too late to request one?

maxdancona

Tue 9 Sep, 2014 02:51 pm
@srp1975,
You should talk to a lawyer. I know of cases where the welfare of the child is considered more important than genetic paternity, but I am not a lawyer.
0 Replies

Ola Olson

Fri 12 Sep, 2014 01:58 am
@srp1975,
A paternity test is often requested by the mother of the child even father has the same right for the paternity test if the mother is refusing his legal rights to the suspected father. If both mother and father is not willing to take the contest to paternity test, then the requesting party take the legal action.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Fri 12 Sep, 2014 08:47 am
@srp1975,
You should ask for a paternity test early and often if you unsure about whether you're the father. You should document your request as a written Motion or Request for DNA/genetic testing. These are usually (if not always) granted when requested early in the proceedings. If you have signed the Birth Certificate, or signed some other form of acknowledgement of paternity, then you may have a more difficult argument. If you have waited until the day of trial to request the test, if may also be too late (although I would think the Court would want to find out true paternity if there is a real question, so the child knows with certainty who his/her father is).
0 Replies