A nincompoop's uncertain first stabs at not killing plants

nimh

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 05:39 pm
OK I soooooo don't know anything about plants, flowers or other living green stuff.

(Once upon a time, people still gave me a plant every once upon a while - which would usually die quickly enough. Except for the one amazingly stubborn tree, which survived all the abuse I've piled on it throughout the years with admirable bullheadedness. More on him later.)

Yet I have a balcony, which I'm gradually filling up with stuff in pots. I mean, it just was there when I moved in here two and a half year ago, I didnt build it or anything, and it wasnt used except by A. to smoke on, anyway.

I tried first time last year. Not very succesful. My pretty Japanese willow - a "hardy" little tree according to the net - died an ignomible death. Hakuro-nishiki is what the tree's called. Perhaps it was because I only repotted it into a big pot after a coupla months (you know, you buy it in a plastic pot, and I'd just left it in there). Or perhaps I should have taken it in for the winter (though I think I read somewhere that you needn't ...). Or perhaps I gave it too little water (it apparently needs a lot of water in spring) or too much (apparently it needs less water after spring).

See, I'm learning some stuff - even if I still dont know what did the poor thing in.

Some weeds sprang up in the pot next to it, though, which we've lovingly nurtured since. A. one day came a-fluttering in all excited about little mushrooms too, which had appeared in the pot that morning, though they'd subsequently disappeared too. They're cute, I've seen them since as well, although I strongly doubt they actually are tiny round white mushrooms - even if thats what they look like.

The two other plants I'd bought seemed to have died as well. But one was supposed to (one-year plant), so thats OK. The other I kept on the balcony by ways of decoration, seeing how its nostalgic brown suited the overall scene - and lo and behold, its got all kinds of new green leaves now, the dead brown stalks of old waving above them. I saw one on the flower market last month (with live stalks), same leaves, so I know its not just weeds this time.

Anyway, this past month or two, I've been going up & down to the flower market some Saturdays and bringing stuff back. I have a new Hakuro-nishiki, for one - always one to defy fate. I really want it to survive. It's so pretty, its vulnerable-looking leaves going from lightgreen to white to pinkish ...

I also bought two plants with pretty blue flowers and two with pretty yellow flowers -- that was before I realised it could be useful to remember what stuff you buy is called, so that you can later look up how to treat it. But I think the yellow ones might be Bidens and the blue ones Felicias or Brachycomes. They're one-year bloomers I think so I'm probably happy nuff if they survive into summer.

I have some "zilverblad" (Helichrysum lanatum silver?) in a black pot and some similar-looking plants, with smaller size-leaves of the same colour. I have some pretty green things that I remember are called something starting with "wolfs" and that I saw in masses down the verge of a polder-dyke when I went cycling the other day. Long stem with a few sturdy pointed leaves, and some 15 cm above, light-green round leaves with tiny bell-shaped leaves within. Very cute. They're in a long rectangular flower box, the rest are in bigger and smaller pots (and damn, pots are expensive!).

I also have a pot of forget-me-nots and finally, in my ultimate wisdom, I bought a yellow paprika plant last month. Yes, I've read the tag now, its supposed to go in a glasshouse and needs a fair table-sized plot of earth to stand in. Oh well.

Anyway. Is it OK for me to come ask stupid questions here? Its amazing the stuff you dont know **** about. The stuff I dont know **** about, I mean. Positively embarassing. I suppose its the stuff you're supposed to have learnt from your parents or something. My mother was a great gardener (at least, our little garden always looked very pretty to me), but I never asked her anything.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,457 • Replies: 90
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 06:07 pm
I understand that plants like water, though ours seem to soldier on bravely without it. Hopefully others will present with more sage advice.

(ha!)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 06:13 pm
Ah - a kindred spirit, I see ;-)
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 06:25 pm
Nimh
Ask away - but not me - I have the black thumb Sad
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 06:30 pm
That willow would have been fine, likely, if you'd planted it in the ground. But, pots freeze solid and don't thaw until spring. Maybe a really big (4 foot square) pot would have kept it ok.....

All the plants you list would probably face the same fate, come winter, in their small pots. Too bad you bought so many plants. It might have made more sense to build one big planter to keep the more hardy plants in over-winter. What direction does your balcony face?

Off to look at links.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 07:16 pm
(since the thread is already open, has anybody had any luck growing basil in pots?)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 07:19 pm
I know a guy who claims to have grown pot in Basil. Or maybe it was Bern. Want me to ask for details.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 08:44 pm
Pdog - basil needs tons of sun and moderate water. Water the soil, not the leaf. It's not that hard to grow, really.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 08:50 pm
Hey nimh, if you crush the leaf of the Helichrysum lanatum silver, does it smell something like curry?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 08:52 pm
Even in So Cal, basil didn't do well until about august... well, in my yard anyway.

Helichrysum lanatum... I haven't had it in a pot, just in the ground, but I think it does grow in pots ok, though I surely don't know about it freezing. Anyway, what I do remember is that it wimpers and whines and looks at death's door if you cut it back, which I routinely did since otherwise it would take over the yard - but it would bounce back after a while, boom!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 04:28 am
littlek wrote:
All the plants you list would probably face the same fate, come winter, in their small pots. Too bad you bought so many plants.

Hm. Can't I save 'em by just taking them inside then, come, say ... I dunno. October? November? Or will the shock into a heated house do 'em in too?

littlek wrote:
It might have made more sense to build one big planter to keep the more hardy plants in over-winter.

"Build a big planter" ... ehmm ... <giggles, points at title of thread> ... that sounds difficult! ;-)

I repotted the old things (the plant I thought was dead but now has new leaves; the bullheaded long-ignored tree; and yes, even the dead willow with its weeds and would-be mushrooms) into new, bigger pots last week - I read somewhere that May (or spring, anyway) was the right time to do that?

I only just found out about the trick to put a big shard on the bottom of the pot on top of the drainage hole, sprinkle smaller shards on top and only on top of that put the new earth, though. Went back and did it after all with the smaller newly-bought plants that I'd just transplanted from their plastic containers into pots a size bigger the week before. Don't know if that was smart. It said that if you dont do it, the drainage hole will get stuck over time and the plants end up dying cause of the water not seeping away anymore, they get their feet drowned - so I thought it was important. But transplanting them twice in two weeks probly aint good either.

littlek wrote:
What direction does your balcony face?

Eastish, I think. East to southeast. It gets sun in the morning, till about ... noon or one, something like that?

Very windy, though, or at least it has been the last week or two. Not that I'm high up - just above the ground, actually; my front door, other side of the house, is at street level in fact. Must be the way the buildings are aligned, creating a bit of a wind tunnel here. Paprika didnt seem to like that, at all - I'd put it near the top cause it likes sun, but now put it on the balcnoy floor again for more shelter.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 05:26 am
Balconies SUCK! (I have one) but East is not too bad.

Nimh - are there other balconies with plants on your side of the building? If so, what is growing succcessfully, that you like?

Copy it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 05:41 am
patiodog wrote:
(since the thread is already open, has anybody had any luck growing basil in pots?)

Yes, but keep it in a warm spot & well watered .... & check DAILY for caterpillers & other sluggy type crawlies. They love basil! You'll grow to hate them! Laughing
Italians grow it in pots all over the place! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 05:45 am
nimh

What a some pots of lavender? .. It's hardy, smells good, you can pick some flowers for the house & it's hard to kill! Laughing
Good luck!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:07 am
dlowan wrote:
Nimh - are there other balconies with plants on your side of the building?

Nah, just me. Well, there's a balcony above mine, dont know about that one - but, young single guy, doubt he's got much of a garden going on ;-)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:53 am
Bay leaf trees are also sturdy, and don't require too much care.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:57 am
patiodog wrote:

I have a fairly good sized planter in my front yard with basil (and cilantro) growing in it right now.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 10:24 am
dlowan wrote:

Nimh - are there other balconies with plants on your side of the building? If so, what is growing succcessfully, that you like?

Copy it.

dlowan's got it. If a plant survives under another's care (unless that person is nuts and weeding and feeding all day, every day), chances are good that the plant will live with you, long as you water it and give it sunlight.

And I second the idea (littlek's, I believe) that the potted plants aren't going to do well outside in the winter. Bring 'em in, don't keep them next to or on top of the radiator and they will probably be all right. Winter indoor air tends to be very dry so you may need to water a little more. But not a lot - a lot of watering is no good, as the roots rot. If the soil is moist, don't water. If the plant is in standing water, dump the excess water out. If the soil is bone dry, water.

I'm not a big fan of plant food and I find often that it doesn't help much (e. g. I may get leaves instead of flowers).

We're currently growing cilantro in pots (indoors right now, as the weather's been rather cold lately) - you just mist the soil every morning and turn the plants every now and then as they tend to turn towards the light and you want them to grow straight. But that's it, no other work involved.

And I'll tell you, we're pretty lazy gardeners around here - we wouldn't grow stuff unless it was easy.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 11:40 am
jespah wrote:
And I second the idea (littlek's, I believe) that the potted plants aren't going to do well outside in the winter. Bring 'em in, don't keep them next to or on top of the radiator and they will probably be all right.

Round about when do you bring your potted plants in? Uh, I'm going to get into trouble with all the different climates and celsius/fahrenheit things we're having, huh? Basic rule: before it starts freezing? Or is that too late (what, with ground temperatures different from air temperature and stuff)?

jespah wrote:
But not a lot - a lot of watering is no good, as the roots rot. If the soil is moist, don't water. If the plant is in standing water, dump the excess water out. If the soil is bone dry, water.

Ah, that I can work with ;-). At the moment, I'm watering them when the top feels really dry, and not watering them if its still moist. Basically, that means watering most stuff pretty much every second day, except for the little blue ones and the green "wolfs"something. The rest, the Bidens and the "zilverblad" especially, gets real dry real quickly.

OK, stupid question: out of fear to give them too little water (as I've often done), when I water them now I basically water them until water starts dripping from the drainage hole at the bottom. That too much?

I don't think I'll get much more than I have now anymore, is enough for now perhaps, so the focus is just on keeping what I have alive ;-). Not that the plants are expensive, not at all, not at the market - only the willow was like 8$, the rest two or three dollar here or there. Its mostly the pots that cost!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 11:43 am
Another stupid question: about dead and dying leaves.

One site I was reading said, watch for yellow or brown leaves, and take them off if they appear.

But another site said: leave the dead leaves on the soil, its good for its fertility and it protects it a little from weather conditions.

But how do you leave the dead leaves on the soil if you've already plucked them off the plant once they turned yellow? <scratches head>

Thank you all, by the way. Had I thanked you yet?
0 Replies