Atlanta Hawks Owner Selling over Racial Truth Telling

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 01:54 pm
Because he was caught talking honestly about the problem of having a majority poor black fanbase

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/09/atlanta-hawks-bruce-levenson-full-email

The NBA best gain some common sense, as the problem of the entire leagues fan base being too black and too poor to support all of the millionaires the NBA is trying to support is a serious problem.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,625 • Replies: 6
No top replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 02:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
“I’m truly embarrassed by my words in that e-mail, and I apologize to the members of the Hawks family and all of our fans,” Levenson said in a statement published in full on Basketball Insiders.

In the 2012 email, Levenson said he “trivialized our fans by making clichéd assumptions about their interests (i.e. hip hop vs. country, white vs. black cheerleaders, etc.) and by stereotyping their perceptions of one another (i.e. that white fans might be afraid of our black fans).”

“By focusing on race, I also sent the unintentional and hurtful message that our white fans are more valuable than our black fans,” Levenson said. “If you’re angry about what I wrote, you should be. I’m angry at myself, too. It was inflammatory nonsense.

http://time.com/3292250/atlanta-hawks-selling/

http://cnnmoneytalkback.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/chart-race-income-4-blog1.gif

OK then, what is the argument for the position that white fans are not more valuable than black fans?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 02:45 pm
http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/01-360.png

Atlanta is America's 9th largest metro area, but is the 27th most valuable NBA franchise. If having too many poor black fans and not enough monied white fans is not the major problem as the owner believed then someone needs to come up with another explanation.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 02:56 pm
Quote:
"white fans might be afraid of our black fans."

Bruce Levenson

Quote:
“There is nothing more painful to me … than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”

Jesse Jackson

Maybe Levenson's theory is correct. The franchise should launch a study to find out. The truth is not racist, the truth is the truth, and everybody is better off when we know the truth. The efforts made by the elites to silence the speaking of truth which they find to be inconvenient to their agenda are not in our best interests.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 05:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
I have to agree with you here. I didn't see anything in the email that appeared as anything other than a frank discussion about his business situation. I think if the situation was reversed and he said "we want a diverse fan base but all the cheerleaders are white, the music is country and all our ticket giveaways are in the white suburbs, we need to mix it up" no one would see anything abnormal about that.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 05:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
pointing out that a particular population of southern whites are racist shouldn't be a reason to quit, but it was his job to quit
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 06:22 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

pointing out that a particular population of southern whites are racist shouldn't be a reason to quit, but it was his job to quit

I cant prove anything yet, but this reaks of NBA intolorance of speech related to race that goes against the " blacks are fabulous" storyline that the commissioners office has mandated, even when the offending speech is motivated by truth and good business practices. This looks like rank intoloranc, no better than we saw in the South in the 1950's. Only the flavor has changed.
0 Replies