LOST STARS from Begin Again : lyrics meaning

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 10:12 am
Hi, I'm infatuated with this song and the movie Lost Stars from the movie begin again-
I've watched it three times in the theater, and I have intention to watch it again with my brother -

I'm not a native speaker, but I understood almost 80% of its lyrics as I was listening to this million times
but, i was trying to explain this lyrics to my brother since the official Korean subtitle at the movie theater doesn't do the trick..

then I got stuck at a couple of lyrics
was hoping if anyone can help me with this please ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyT-oGDnMqE

first, it's the youtube link for this song-

Please don't see ~~~
Please see me reaching out for someone I can't see.
(so.. that someone is you? i can't see you, i don't know you yet even after years but i'm still trying to reach out to you..??)

take my hand lets see where we wake up tomorrow
best laid plans: sometimes it's just a one night stand
(so.. this.. is like regret? thought it was love but it was just a one night sex- OR i think this is more like it. sometimes best plan can be one night stand- tonight is tonight- lets live in a moment- what's gonna happen tomorrow is gonna happen- take my hand and lets explore together-??)

Sorry TnT I got really frustrated and needed someone to ask so, sorry and thank you ahead!

i'd be dammed cupid's demanding back its arrow...
(sigh)
here's my shallow understanding
1. id be dammed IF cupid demands its arrow back cuz i can't give it to him/her, cuz i'm already in love with you
2. ................ -_- ..................
cupid IS demandING back its arrow now gosh, what do i do..
that frustration?
3. some say this could mean that even cupid is making mistake...or something? GODDDDDdddd!! -0-

so lets get drunk on our tears~
(I get that this changes in later verses to lets DANCE in our tears- )

God tell us the reason youth is wasted on the young
(God tell us the reason "WHY" youth is wasted on the young?? tell me why? that? ?-(

Woe is me. if we're not careful turns into reality
(I get that Woe is me is like an expression meaning How Sad! ..
if we're not careful, "IT WILL " turn into reality?
but this is future. why sad for something that hasn't happen
or Am I said for the reality that if we're not careful turns into reality .. )

that's about it.
Thank you if you have beared me with my dumb questions
and Thank you for your input / insight in advance!

Thank you : - D
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 76,082 • Replies: 5
No top replies

justinemarie

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2014 07:14 pm
Hello! I love this song because I feel that the words are very deep. The words in a song depends on the listener on how he/she perceives it.

I do agree with your interpretation with the lines you've mentioned. But here's mine with some of the lines:

"And God, tell us the reason youth is wasted on the young
It's hunting season and the lambs are on the run
We're searching for meaning
But are we all lost stars trying to light up the dark?"

It's like the singer is asking God for more time. Perhaps, he's on the verge of life and death and he wanted to be young again so he could live like how the youth is living today. 'Hunting season' is like the reaping day. And WE are the LAMBS. We are trying to escape death.

I love how innocent the line "Yesterday, I saw a lion kiss a deer" sounds like. It's bizarre for a predator to love its prey not just because it's food.
I don't think it's just a love song. It's a song about identity. It's a song written for ourselves. Every time I hear this song, I hear love, sadness, fear, faith and perseverance. And it's the saddest song.

Aiden

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2015 05:03 pm
@Eugene Y,
This is jus my humble opinion on the song

Please don't see ~~~
Please see me reaching out for someone I can't see.

Is jus tt she is missing someone,but she cant contact him

take my hand lets see where we wake up tomorrow
best laid plans: sometimes it's just a one night stand

I agree with living for the moment part, is like we jus keep on planning forthe best,hoping to live without regrets,but it's tiring and ur plan may not b the best plan,jus yolo

i'd be dammed cupid's demanding back its arrow...

She fell in love with someone she shouldn't b in love with, she wished she didn't loved him,mayb cus this love wasn't part of the plan at all.
Or mayb a forbidden love

God tell us the reason youth is wasted on the young

She is puzzled how ironic things are, you can only have youth when u r young,when u regret something you have done, you can nvr go back and b young again,so wasted youth

Woe is me. if we're not careful turns into reality

She is regreting what she has done, she knew she shldnt allow herself to fall in love with him"forbidden love". She didn't resist herself before, the one nite stand part and now she really fell in love.

Hope it helps=)
0 Replies

ekisom

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 10:12 pm
@Eugene Y,
i wont type in the lyrics anymore, just straight to interpretation

here goes:

(asking God) not to see me as a simple person just thinking about worldly things.
recognize me as someone reaching out for (You/God)

take charge of my destiny, walk me through it and show me the way to tomorrow. sometimes the best plans are the spur of the moment opportunities.
destiny may have set you on a certain course but may just as suddenly take back that course in your life and change it. so weap... take it all in, (move on)

(asking God) rhetorical question why youth is wasted on the young (referencing immaturity, ignorance, lack of experience and learning)
when the time comes people scramble to find meaning in their lives questioning their disposition/situation. looking for hope feeling anonymous trying to do something good regardless of significance.

realizing we are just this little spec in the grand universe. if we wallow too much in fear and sorrow we might end up living our lives in the same.

do not ruin the best of the past with the bad moments of life. there is always hope, sometimes you see a miracle, there are no set rules to life, move on and forge a new path perhaps we'd overcome the troubles and succeed to be triumphant.

getting Gods attention. hearing our cries and desires. just the same we are still innocent/ignorant/never fully matured.

We are all just like stars(one of too many/almost insignificant) trying to make our mark in this world and beyond.
0 Replies

ShellyToo

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 03:10 am
@Eugene Y,
...please don't see... ...see me...
>> means look deeply, don't assess me on what I show everyone on the surface. Take the time and attention to really get to know me. It's said in almost a pleading (begging but not as extreme as begging) tone.

...plans...one night stand
...Cupid's demanding...arrow
>> we both really wanted this date to grow into a relationship but after that first night despite our intentions it didn't work out. [for non native speakers: Cupid is a winged pagan angel from Greek mythology. He's the god of sexual love, also called Eros (hence the word erotic). If Cupid pierces you with his arrow it causes you to fall in love]
0 Replies

ShellyToo

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 03:15 am
@justinemarie,
I love the song too. I would use the word poignant, it is sad but the word stars and trying to light the night keep it hopeful. Tears come from both joy and sadness, I find there's a tension here it could almost go either way
0 Replies