Homeless Shelter Project Sleeping rough charity inspiration structure

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 04:06 am
Hi,
I am currently designing and manufacturing a shelter for people who are homeless. This Shelter will not be a permanent structure but will be a solid, insulated and waterproof place for people to find refuge. This is mainly aimed at people who live in rural locations and can't find any other type of shelter. My question is does anyone have any ideas, information, advice or opinions about my project?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,926 • Replies: 9
No top replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 04:12 am
@Luigi17123,
Your guests will wanna be defended from one another,
mental instability being what it is.
Luigi17123

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 04:55 am
@OmSigDAVID,
the idea is to have the shelters situated separate from one another, so they have their own space.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 06:14 am
@Luigi17123,
Perhaps you're a bit misguided. While I admire your altruism, you need to realize that the majority of numbers of homeless population exists and/or moves toward the urban areas. Most homeless people migrate to the cities, where they might panhandle, scavenge for food and shelter. Often they go where there's a protective shelter at or near a building, church, and move towards the heat exhaust of exteriors. Such places are likely to increase their chances of survival.

Of course, there is homelessness in rural areas, but it doesn't compare to the impact in urban areas.

With your shelters, who is going to maintain them, clean them and keep from catching fire and/or crime?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2014 08:09 pm
I have an architect friend who did that. I never caught up with him on how that worked out. He also worked up small house plans, a good idea. I should re-contact him.
Luigi17123

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2014 05:36 am
@Ragman,
You have a good point. My original plan was to create a small shelter which could be placed around cities and countryside which would give homeless people a temporary place to stay whilst they are waiting for housing. Now I see that this would be hard to implement and expensive. Now my plan is to create a flat-packable shelter which police and other agencies could hand out in severe weather conditions. This would hopefully prevent homeless from suffering hypothermia and in extreme case's it could even save lives.
0 Replies

Luigi17123

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2014 05:42 am
@ossobuco,
I have researched many projects which are similar to my own. They are mainly based in other countries but all seem to worm effectively. I don't understand why our government are not implementing some of the temporary shelters, which could potentially save many lives. I understand providing shelter is not the only thing homeless people need but instead of giving some a home and leaving some in weather that could kill, I think it is more sensible and save more lives to first make sure everyone has some form of shelter.
0 Replies

carldavisrogersmith

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 01:58 am
@Luigi17123,
I have seen many shelter homes with no space in between. So I suggest you might build a homelike space, including the size and scale so every family will have its own freedom. Allow also natural light and views of the outside environment, and provide a little space for their gardening. Lastly, use cheerful colors and textures.
0 Replies

able4cash

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 09:55 am
@Ragman,
Maybe pan-handling works for some, but speaking from my own experiance of sitting outside a train-station holding a card that said "Homeless & Hungry, Please spare some change, God bless you!" from 8 O'Clock until 3:30 in the afternoon was the most unproductive way I've ever spent a day, not a single person spared so much as a single penny!

As for scavenge for food, I think you mean a similar situation I witnessed once when a lady wondered into the midst of our little gathering and offered to sell us all a roll... To which I fired up with, "no thank's, we're all homeless!" and she fired back "yeah, I figured as much, but thought you must have 99 pence from begging!" dude, the conversation amongst the crew dropped within a heartbeat, suddenly she had all three of us around her going "is that the chicken an mayo, is that one the corn beef hash oh and thats the egg and cress right?" whilst we helped ourselves and looked like we where fishing for change, then with one quick nod, we all legged it in differant directions! LMAO!

In the UK only the Junkies scrounge for spare change, just so they can get a fix!

@Luigi17123,
If you where going to make a shelter, I would have some suggestions, like a fold up plastic card house that could be erected quickly, but saddly in my own country the UK if you erect any temporary shelter, the local council's can have you detained and fined for doing it! Not to mention if you dont erect it off the beaten path, people would probably presume it was a rubbish recepticle and chuck there crap in it!
able4cash

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 10:57 am
@able4cash,
They stole my roll's - "LOL" prove it in a court of law we've got three witnesses vs your one and the evidence has been consumed!!!
0 Replies