I saw a white man with a gun. I heard a policeman saying, "Place the weapon down on the ground, ple

FBM

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2014 08:24 pm
Looks like we're footing the bill, too.

Quote:
Investigation: Firing of Cops is Very Rare, Despite Common Tax Payer Funded Payouts to Victims

A new months-long investigation conducted by the News Sentinel exposes a large problem of tax-payers being held liable for the negligent actions of police officers; rarely are the officers ever held accountable.

The News Sentinel looked back through three years of claims against the Knox County Sheriff’s Office and the Knoxville police department. What they found was that no matter the cost and the conduct, law enforcers involved in claims rarely were fired, whether they acted badly, violated someone’s civil rights or simply fouled up.

In one case, the News Sentinel Reports, a deputy remains employed at KCSO despite being involved in three separate incidents, two of which cost taxpayers $50,000 in total damages. The third case is pending in U.S. District Court, and, so far, the county is losing that legal fight. Another deputy twice accused of brutality in cases costing taxpayers $43,000 also is still on the job.

In fact, in the three year probe, only one case of officers being fired and criminally prosecuted was found. Only because the incident was caught on so many cameras and in full view of citizens in the neighborhood were these officers fired. However, they received 1 year of probation only after admittedly beating and kicking a homeless man who was cuffed and hogtied on the ground.

The largest and most recent payout was to Abraham Dudley who was shot, unarmed and complying with police orders. Knoxville Police Department Officer Christopher Edmonds was responding to a domestic dispute call in the parking lot of West Town Mall. A gun shot rang out follow by Edmonds screaming, “Oh, ****,” after realizing that he’d just shot a man for no reason.

“I was shocked,” Dudley told the News Sentinel in a recent interview. “I really didn’t even know I was shot, I guess, when the bullet hit. I fell to the ground. I was just scared and hoping I wouldn’t die.”

The bullet from Edmonds’ gun struck the 32-year-old Dudley in the back, just 2 inches from his spine.

The tax-payers of Knoxville were held to the fire for $293,000 for the irresponsible and negligent actions of Edmonds.

According to Dudley, he’s yet to even receive an apology.

While Sheriff Jimmy Jones refused to be interviewed regarding this investigation, KPD Chief, David Rausch contends that just because the city pays out a settlement doesn’t mean that the officer was at fault.

“There are times where we pay out when there aren’t screw-ups,” he said. “That’s unfortunate. You’re not admitting guilt just because you paid (a claim).”
According to the Sentinel’s investigation, in cases involving alleged police misconduct, some payouts came after lawsuits were filed.

In others, however, the mere threat of a very public legal fight prompted a quiet settlement.

Cheif Rausch’s claim is hard to prove without these cases going to trial. However, it’s the going to trial part that police tend to avoid in most cases civil and criminal.

For example, despite an overwhelming amount of questionable executions by Florida police, and countless protests since the 90s, not a single officer has been charged with using deadly force in the past 20 years, the New York Times reported.

The system is intended to protect police. When investigations are done behind the thin blue line, by the departments themselves, how can anyone expect justice?

“When you are charging a police officer with a crime, you are essentially asking most jurors to look at the world upside down: The good guys are in the defendant’s spot, prosecuting police officers successfully is a difficult task even in the strongest cases.” David A. Harris, a University of Pittsburgh law professor who specializes in law enforcement behavior told the Times.
Forget about civil suits for a minute and look at the amount of police officers who’ve actually been convicted of a crime but allowed to keep their jobs.

Last week an LMPD Cop caused a SWAT standoff while driving drunk, yet he remains a police officer. Another example is Officer Dale Reising from Vermillion city, who broke into the police department and stole a car. Yet he still kept his job.

Accountability is not one of law enforcement’s strongest traits. That is why it is up to us to hold their feet to fire. If we see injustice it is our duty to film it and expose those responsible.

While this only one investigation, conducted in only one town, it is most likely the norm, and not the exception.

In Chicago for instance, officer John Silas shot a teen and lied about it, causing this teen to spend 14 months in jail. Even after he was acquitted and won a $700,000 lawsuit, Silas remains a cop.

In April we reported the story of officer Chad R. Moyer and Officer Gregory Hadfield, who cost the taxpayers of Springettsbury Township a half million dollars in payouts of separate lawsuits, yet they both remain cops.

Until officers are held individually liable for their irresponsible actions, this blank check of negligence will continue to grow, and continue to be passed on to the backs of those who do not deserve to carry its weight, the US taxpayer.

Read more at http://thefreethoughtproject.com/investigation-reveals-firing-cops-rare-tax-payer-funded-payouts-big-excessive-force-claims/#WfY01liU0JcoCKcF.99
ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2014 08:31 pm
@FBM,
That's news to me, thanks for the link.
We have a police problem here in Albuquerque. I'm not fully read-up on it, but from all the news articles I see a lot of people disturbed by what seems like ongoing malfeasance. I'm sort of new here and not as city invested as in my last home towns. At present, anyway.

That taxes could come into the matter adds more, ah, depth to the situations.
FBM

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2014 09:36 pm
@ossobuco,
Yep. I think if that issue was highlighted more, people would realize that (and how much) they're paying for those bad cops. While I still acknowledge that bad cops are most likely in the minority, even one payoff in a civil suit could run into tens or hundreds of thousands of taxpayer revenue wasted, especially when lawyer fees are taken into account.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2014 10:00 pm
@FBM,
I agree.
Me, I'm not anti cop, but on the other hand, there sure have been some situations force fed to us as okey dokey, over many years.

I have a personal problem re shoot to kill in the first place, but I get the arguments for it, sort of. I'm still against that as the immediate mode even when shooting. Past the matter of killing someone, it only increases reasonable hatred of police.

I don't personally know any policemen, but my husband was working on a script and got to interview and then be friends with a female LA County sheriff. I liked her from what he said, talked with her on the phone a few times, and he and I were both big questioning types. Anyway, I'm not an automatic police hater, more that I am quite wary. (The movie didn't happen)
FBM

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2014 10:20 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm defintely not a cop hater. I've had a couple of friends who were cops (neither of them were particularly bright, but not inherently bad people, although one of them was and presumably still is an ardent racist) and have had mostly positive interactions with others. This isn't a personal thing with me at all.

But it's hard not to acknowledge that there is a problem and it's just getting worse. When serious social problems arise, I try not to ignore them just because it isn't happening to me. As a matter of fact, I live in Korea (South, the good one), so the situation back stateside would only impact me personally on those infrequent occasions when I do visit. It's just that when I see all those statistics and learn about the written and unwritten policies, then look at the huge volume of first-person videos of unnecessary brutality and aggression by the police, it makes me of a mind to point to it. Maybe heightened awareness can help things improve.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2014 10:27 pm
@FBM,
Agree.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 07:46 am
@FBM,
I know, you would think they would welcome more educated employees in the police force, having some knowledge in social issues wouldn't be a bad thing for a start.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 11:43 am
It's a rather shitty piece actually. What does the rate of murder have to do with the rate of killings by police officers. Most of those killed by police are not guilty of murder so it is nothing but an attempt to obfuscate by introducing things that are not relevant.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 11:48 am
@parados,
Facts refute the racial aspect of this discussion.
parados

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 12:11 pm
@Baldimo,
Really? Which facts?
Baldimo

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 12:15 pm
@parados,
The police shoot and kill more white people then they do black people. Check the stats Parados, they speak for themselves. If you have nothing else to add, keep your nick-picking to yourself.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 12:16 pm
@Baldimo,
nick-picking???
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 12:19 pm
@Baldimo,
And you forget that there are 6 white people to every black person so they don't shoot and kill blacks at the same rate as whites.

The police shoot blacks at a rate almost 3 times whites.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2014 04:53 pm
They're jumping categories there. The first set of stats are about the races of people who are killed by police:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/KilledByPolice_circumstances_v30.png

The second is talking about homicide in the public at large. This second set of data is completely irrelevant to the question of whether or not police are profiling or racially biased in their use of deadly force:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/FBI.jpg
parados

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 07:21 am
@FBM,
The only way the second stat would be relevant is if police only killed those that had committed homicide but we know that isn't the case at all.

If you want to use those 2 stats you could say it shows police are more likely to use force for blacks because they are profiling all blacks as murderers. There is no other evidence to support it but at least the stats would be relevant when used together.
FBM

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 08:41 am
@parados,
That's about the sum of it in my estimation, too. Nothing cohesive about that story. Just flim-flam and hand waving, smoke and mirrors, preying on those who believe in the conservative agenda, but lack discernment and a healthy degree of rational skepticism. I could be wrong, of course, but I haven't run across any substantial evidence to the contrary yet. Sadly.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 09:17 pm
For anyone who's still interested, here's something a little more solution-based:

http://cfppmpls.wordpress.com/

Quote:
20MillionDollars
That’s the cost of police brutality to Minneapolis taxpayers over the past seven years. $4.7 million paid out by the city of Minneapolis in 2011 alone. These payouts by the city are for cases won or settled out of court for misconduct by Minneapolis Police Officers. Currently the city uses your tax dollars to cover all settlements and damages for lawsuits filed against Minneapolis Police Department officers. Taxpayers should no longer have to keep paying out huge amounts of damages when city police officers are found liable for misconduct. What are we proposing?

We've collected over 4500 signatures so far. Help us make it to the finish line and get this measure on the ballot!
We’ve collected over 4500 signatures so far. Help us make it to the finish line and get this measure on the ballot!

Just like doctors have to buy malpractice insurance, we think police officers should be required to carry their own professional liability insurance as a condition of employment in the city of Minneapolis. City officials don’t have the guts to hold police accountable but an insurance company that’s on the hook for police misconduct payouts will have no problem doing so. Problem officers would find their insurance rates going up and they will eventually become uninsurable–a great way to help them find another career.

giujohn

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 04:37 pm
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhooplaha.com%2F2014%2F02%2F12-acts-of-kindess-from-police-officers-around-the-country%2F&ei=cK4cVIvkAseSyATMy4CQBw&usg=AFQjCNF909iGxa1uhP9Vku_9oU3g2ixUTA
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 04:38 pm
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDwQtwIwBA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dl4h_2vBVwUA&ei=cK4cVIvkAseSyATMy4CQBw&usg=AFQjCNG-JEthpT2havxjVSoPmKZwuQ_XOw
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 04:39 pm
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC0QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpetapixel.com%2F2012%2F11%2F29%2Fphoto-of-nypd-police-officers-random-act-of-kindness-goes-viral%2F&ei=cK4cVIvkAseSyATMy4CQBw&usg=AFQjCNHpMKga1N-oeyE0HxLre6cvQh0lSA
0 Replies