Plural possessive

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2014 10:23 am
I'm having an argument.

Let's say something has eggs from frogs in it. It's a common dish, served widely, and eaten by many (hypothetically).

Is it correct to use frogs' eggs (plural apostrophe) because it just makes sense you'd need more than one individual frog to make all those eggs, or is it "the egg of the frog" (singular/referring to the species "frog")?

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 464 • Replies: 9
No top replies

neologist

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2014 02:34 pm
@JOTFabulist,
Though the singular possessive is also correct, I would be inclined to write frogs' eggs, unless it was somehow necessary to identify a particular frog.

Opinion subject to croak, of course.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2014 06:29 pm
frog eggs - no possessive needed.

fish filets

neologist

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2014 06:51 pm
@PUNKEY,
That too
0 Replies

JOTFabulist

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2014 11:10 pm
Ok thanks guys. I was rather hoping there was a right way and a wrong way, and that they would both involve apostrophes.

I'm writing a story and it kind of hinges on one of the main characters making a subtle punctuation error, and I would like this error to be right at the heart of the topic under discussion. Seems like I should think of something else - "frog egg" does seem right now you've said it.

Ok! Back to the drawing board! (Any suggestions welcome Smile )
roger

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2014 11:33 pm
@JOTFabulist,
If it's dialog, well, spoken English isn't really punctuated. Problem solved?
0 Replies

JOTFabulist

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2014 11:46 pm
No, it's a written mistake in the story. In any case, it needs to be *some sort of* mistake because it needs to act as a clue. If I didn't have a mistake it wouldn't be solved - in fact, that would be the problem. Smile
neologist

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2014 11:56 pm
@JOTFabulist,
Are you looking for a not so common error, but one that should have been known by the character? Like a person impersonating an a2k member not knowing what a hamster is?
0 Replies

usery

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 12:08 am
@JOTFabulist,
My two cents' worth is that they must be childrens' stories.

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/apostro.asp
0 Replies

JOTFabulist

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 01:55 am
@usery - yes, children's story. 6-10yo. I'll check that link for ideas - thanks.

@neologist - so because it's a children's story aimed at 6-10 years it should be something that is being learnt at that age. Not obscure so the kids have no chance of catching it, but not so easy that it seems an incredible mistake to make.

I'm currently considering changing to a spelling error, rather than a punctuation error. That would be easy to work in to the dialogue as it's already written, I just have to think about the word and make sure it's central enough to the discussion to bear repetition while being correctly targeted at that age range (tricky).

0 Replies