What if no religions are correct, but there still is a God?

rosborne979

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2016 04:58 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
On a side note, what does your company do?

Design, manufacture and sell parts needed by experimental aircraft builders.
I can't be more specific than that in order to keep anonymity. It's a small world.

No problem. Sounds interesting. Do you have a background in avionics? Is that how you got into it?
farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2016 06:07 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:

But even science allows for alternative universes.

only because certain solutions to enigmatic problems include such speculation. The next steps with a scientific study would always be the search for, and the testing of evidence.

Thats one of the big differences , y'alls seem to just stop investigating once you have a comfy story and all efforts then are spent in building a theosophically based worldview that starts with the unassailable
assumption of the very exitence of a god.

Religion presumes everything, sans evidence, whereas science concludes things, based only on evidence
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2016 06:49 pm
@farmerman,
RTFT farmer. I hate repeating myself.
farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2016 07:00 pm
@Leadfoot,
youre picking up lots of donaldisms. He also honestly believe in what he says(well, probably "Honestly" is a stretch)

rtft? I am not fluent in urban
Right the first time?
read the ******* text?
rear tires flatten traumatically?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2016 07:01 pm
@rosborne979,
No, Lockheed had me working on computer stuff for submarines (naval systems division).

I got sucked into it. Designed and built stuff for my own plane, flew it to annual Oshkosh fly-in and got begged to make copies. It took off from there. Wife at the time loved organizing, record keeping, etc, so I got to do just the fun stuff and none of the rest.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 02:54 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

That seems unnecessary given the requirement for having faith, rather than evidence, as the basis of the belief. Is faith not the basis?

Faith is what fills the gap between the things we think we know, if none of us have complete knowledge of any given thing, are we not all working on the basis of faith? More faith helps a man of either conviction, for what good is doubt?
rosborne979

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 11:54 am
@Smileyrius,
Smileyrius wrote:
Faith is what fills the gap between the things we think we know, if none of us have complete knowledge of any given thing, are we not all working on the basis of faith? More faith helps a man of either conviction, for what good is doubt?

Many people have faith that god and prayer can save their sick child, and children die because of it. Many have faith that their neighbors are witches and should be burned alive, so they do. I don't see anything wrong with doubt, it allows us to question our convictions and to consider a measured response. Conversely, faith without doubt is a recipe for self delusion.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2016 10:00 am
@Leadfoot,
I think with discussions like this, I like to put out the caveat that whatever we may think the reward is, is ultimately irrelevant to a believer other than knowing where you feet will be when all this is over. Working out ones destination is however interesting to say the least Smile

I did retain much in the interest of keeping it short, but am happy to expand. The question of what the new heavens and new earth meant was one of my earliest conundrums with what I was taught in my youth. Ill share some more of what drove me to where I stand on the matter now

Quote:
I was wondering if 'an eternal life sentence on earth' was another possible verdict

My thoughts on this would be the role of Jesus and his peers at Armageddon; Keeping in mind that Judgment day comes after Jesus has appointed them,
Revelation 20 verse 1-15 speaks of "those to whom authority was granted to judge" being resurrected to rule over the 1000 years, and the "rest" after that period. So the final judgement is at the end of the 1000 years,
In Matthew 25, Jesus continued to speak of the final judgment. Those who are on thrones alongside him will aid him in this judgment, those who are remaining he gathers together. Some will be ruled for destruction, while the others will be granted to "inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world." So separating the two groups, I would hazard that the majority are Earth bound, it also ties in with the way that God set up man in Eden, to fill the earth and subdue it, that they would not have died had they not rebelled.

Just a few more references
Proverbs 2
Quote:
For the upright do inhabit the earth, And the perfect are left in it.

Proverbs 10
Quote:
The righteous will never be shaken, But the wicked will not dwell in the land.

Psalms 115
Quote:
The heavens are the Lord's heavens, but the earth he has given to the children of man.

Isaiah 26
Quote:
Your dead shall live; their bodies shall rise. You who dwell in the dust, awake and sing for joy! For your dew is a dew of light, and the earth will give birth to the dead

infra wrote:
Just an aside, why don't you use apostrophes or, sometimes, periods or colons?

I wish I was more talented: with the written; word, this is why' I often shy away from' walls of text, I will-try to make my discussion; more grammatically.,-' appealing in future tho Wink

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2016 10:47 am
@Smileyrius,
It's not about grammar. It's about mechanics. It makes texts easier to read. It's better not to use punctuation if you're not sure how, though.
Smileyrius

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2016 10:59 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

It's not about grammar. It's about mechanics. It makes texts easier to read. It's better not to use punctuation if you're not sure how, though.

Perhaps I could learn from Claude Debussy; pay attention to the gaps between the notes, for that is where it's beauty lies
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2016 12:54 pm
@Smileyrius,
Okay.
0 Replies

trichakra

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2016 11:12 pm
Believe in god.
0 Replies

Allahbakashqadri

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2017 09:19 am
@neologist,
Yes god is there he is the super power
timur

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2017 12:00 pm
@Allahbakashqadri,
http://www.kathleenkarlsen.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/smilingcrying.jpg
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2017 02:21 pm
Where have all the JWs gone?
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2017 06:04 pm
@InfraBlue,
Since they are denied heaven (the 144,000 E tickets were already taken) they are off to build their tidy little houses with the white picket fence where they will continue to spawn perfectly happy families on earth for all eternity
0 Replies

newmoonnewmoon

Reply Fri 19 May, 2017 12:21 am
@neologist,
Your question took my interest.
0 Replies

think rethink

Reply Wed 24 May, 2017 01:52 pm
@neologist,
This is an important question.
It shuts down the religious preachers who freak out the mass about the inability of the atheist to disprove God..
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sun 28 May, 2017 09:12 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
The next steps with a scientific study would always be the search for, and the testing of evidence.

I'm always amazed, farmerman, at how you can go from scientific to a ranting lunatic from one post to the next.
0 Replies

chirchri

Reply Sun 28 May, 2017 09:22 pm
@mark noble,
As a guys , I am not able to imagine it all the time.
0 Replies