What if no religions are correct, but there still is a God?

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 12:42 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Will someone now assert
Quote:
It all depends on what your definition of 'is' is.
Question

I do not know.

But one of the main definitions of "define" has to do with what a dictionary says about the word.

And if we go with that...we have a fairly accepted "definition" of "god."
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 12:47 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Don't think me being difficult here, but 'not' believing in something kind of prevents having an image to work with.
Like - Not believing in there being other universes prevents developing an image of them.
When I consider 'God' I don't (nor do my christian, muslim or jewish friends) connect with the hollywood prescribed humanesque father-figure. God claims omnipresence (everywhere at once) - I can't imagine 'everywhere' at once. So I am at a loss, as are my friends, in the visualisation-factor.
And, if that God is everywhere - That God is 'everything' - Again, inconceiveable.

WHY?

Why are you arbitrarily and capriciously eliminating "everything" as a description of god?

The ONLY thing that may exist is ME and the thoughts that I (arbitrarily) consider to be mine.

The entire of "everything"...may be nothing more than an illusion of the "me."

I may be that thing that is described in this REALITY...as GOD.

If you exist independently of me...you have to be having those same thoughts and considerations...or you simply are short-changing the thinking process.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 12:50 pm
@neologist,
Neo...you might consider what I just wrote to Mark...who apparently is too important to deal with questions and observations from the like of me.

If what I wrote stimulates any thoughts you think Mark ought to address...perhaps you can pose them to him. I suspect he will feel less unclean if you are the person posing the questions.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 01:15 pm
@Frank Apisa,
of course youd say so, you and he are joined at the "hyp".

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 01:53 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

of course youd say so, you and he are joined at the "hyp".

Nah...no being joined at the hyp for me.

Just some realistic talk.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 01:57 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
And, if that God is everywhere - That God is 'everything' - Again, inconceiveable.

Why in the world (or out of it) is that 'inconceivable'? I have absolutely no problem in positing and visualizing a force which is ubiquitous throughout the universe. (And I am far from being a 'religious' person.)
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 02:23 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

mark noble wrote:

Why in the world (or out of it) is that 'inconceivable'? I have absolutely no problem in positing and visualizing a force which is ubiquitous throughout the universe. (And I am far from being a 'religious' person.)

Thank you, Andy. That was my point up above...and I am far from being a religious person also.

The remark sound gratuitous to the argument Mark wants to make.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 02:39 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Just askin'.

Everyone goes to Hell and God finds himself to be all alone and lonesome by herself up there in Heaven. #historysworstmarketingcampaign
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 02:42 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Define 'God'?

http://i57.tinypic.com/dc68pf.jpg
Enough said! Surprised
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 02:53 pm
You are still left to prove a god exists.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 02:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

You are still left to prove a god exists.

I just did. Look to the post above yours.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 03:01 pm
@tsarstepan,
This is a lot scarier than I thought it would be. Mr. Green
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 02:47 pm
@neologist,
Neo, whether or not She exists depends on how you define Her. The apodictical existential pantheist maintains She's a perfectly natural phenom and that it's up to you whether you want to attach to Her that term "God"
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 03:15 pm

I'm not sure what a "correct religion" is.

How would I recognise one if I saw it?
neologist

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 03:19 pm
@McTag,
There may be a usable definition at John 13: 34,35. It should be an easy google.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 03:26 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Excellent point, Mac. Each person's experience of religiosity is, in some way, unique to each person.

Henry David Thoreau, the American essayist (Walden) was known by his contemporaries to be something of an irreligious iconoclast. When he was on his death-bed, his colleague and great friend Ralph Waldo Emerson came to him and said, "Don't you think it's time you were reconciled with God, Henry?" Thoreau answered: "I am not aware that the Almighty and I have ever quarreled."

0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 03:33 pm
@McTag,
I might also suggest any religions, the priests of which bless the cannons on both sides of the war, should be disqualified
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 09:17 pm
@neologist,
So, only religions, the priests of which bless the cannons on one side of the war, are qualified?
oralloy

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 09:53 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
I'm not sure what a "correct religion" is.

It would be the religion that reflects divinity as it actually exists.

McTag wrote:

If you find yourself being judged after you die, you can freely assume that your soul has found its way to an actual deity.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 10:29 pm
@InfraBlue,
What would you say?