Does "a fish in so tiny a barrel" mean "a turtle in a small jar"?

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 01:22 am
1)Does "a fish in so tiny a barrel" mean "a turtle in a small jar"?
2) Do "vulnerable and self-abased" here serve as adjectives?

Context:

I confess that, as a critic of religion, I have paid too little attention to the sexual abuse scandal in the Catholic Church. Frankly, it always felt unsportsmanlike to shoot so large and languorous a fish in so tiny a barrel. This scandal was one of the most spectacular “own goals” in the history of religion, and there seemed to be no need to deride faith at its most vulnerable and self-abased. Even in retrospect, it is easy to understand the impulse to avert one’s eyes: Just imagine a pious mother and father sending their beloved child to the Church of a Thousand Hands for spiritual instruction, only to have him raped and terrified into silence by threats of hell. And then imagine this occurring to tens of thousands of children in our own time—and to children beyond reckoning for over a thousand years. The spectacle of faith so utterly misplaced, and so fully betrayed, is simply too depressing to think about.

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
PUNKEY
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 06:37 am
"to shoot fish in a barrel"

This is an idiom.

Imagine a barrel of water with fish in it. They are trapped there. You want to kill them. There is no sport or contest. You have all the advantage.

oristarA

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 08:24 am
@PUNKEY,
Cool.
Who would like to answer the second question:

contrex

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 10:14 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

This is an odd question. Since they clearly are adjectives, then that what they obviously "serve as".
oristarA

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 10:40 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

oristarA wrote:

This is an odd question. Since they clearly are adjectives, then that what they obviously "serve as".

I could understand this:
At its most basic level, life is what replicates itself -- but how did it begin?

"At...(noun)" structure is understandable, "at... adjective" seems ungrammatical.
contrex

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 11:09 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

"At...(noun)" structure is understandable, "at... adjective" seems ungrammatical.

It is perfectly grammatical

faith at its most vulnerable and self-abased.

fire at its most hot and bright

Ice at its most cold

pain at its most severe

vanity and selfishness at their most ugly

chicken at its most delicious

insects and reptiles at their most repulsive

oristarA

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 11:41 am
@contrex,
Excellent!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 01:39 pm
These adjectives should be modifying, not faith, but somewhere that faith is at, like a point.

“faith at its most vulnerable and self-abased point”

Otherwise, they read as incomplete sentences.
contrex

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 03:47 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

These adjectives should be modifying, not faith, but somewhere that faith is at, like a point.

No they don't. This is steak at its most delicious. The sentence is complete.

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 04:36 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

No they don't. This is steak at its most delicious. The sentence is complete.

Ok, then the expression "at its most ____ " is an idiomatic one.
oristarA

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 06:11 pm
Here's a minor question ocurring when I read another book:

Quote:
(The plant had just introduced robots on the manufacturing line) After watching the production line and learning that the plant produced ninety-four cars per worker per year, Deng remarked that this was ninety-three cars a year better than China's best, the First Automobile Works in Changchun. When he finished touring the Nissan factory, Deng declared, "Now I understand what modernization is."

" this was ninety-three cars a year better than China's best"?

64-63 = 1 Does it mean China's best worker produced one car a year?
contrex

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 12:16 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Define "idiomatic" as you are using it here.
contrex

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 12:32 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

The plant that had just introduced robots produced 94 cars per worker per year. That figure is obtained by dividing the number of cars produced each year by the number of workers. Thus 10 workers might produce 940 cars in a year, or 1,000 workers might produce 94,000 cars. Deng's remark conveyed that China's best plant had a production rate of (94-93) cars per worker per year, i.e. 1 car per worker per year. In that plant, to produce 940 cars in a year would require 940 workers.

oristarA

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 02:49 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

oristarA wrote:

The plant that had just introduced robots produced 94 cars per worker per year. That figure is obtained by dividing the number of cars produced each year by the number of workers. Thus 10 workers might produce 940 cars in a year, or 1,000 workers might produce 94,000 cars. Deng's remark conveyed that China's best plant had a production rate of (94-93) cars per worker per year, i.e. 1 car per worker per year. In that plant, to produce 940 cars in a year would require 940 workers.

So I've guessed it right at the very begining? But it is only a guess, though confirmed by you, I'm still confused the grammatical structure of " this was ninety-three cars a year better than China's best".

Supposed McTag can post 38 posts a day in A2K and a newbie who's very difficult with English language can only post one, can I describe it as:

This was 37 posts a day better than the newbie?
contrex

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 03:40 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
I'm still confused the grammatical structure of " this was ninety-three cars a year better than China's best".

Deng meant "ninety-three cars per person per year".

Quote:
Supposed McTag can post 38 posts a day in A2K and a newbie who's very difficult with English language can only post one, can I describe it as:

This was 37 posts a day better than the newbie?

Yes, you can describe it thus - 37 posts a day better than the newbie, or 37 posts a day more than the newbie, the first makes a value judgement (more is better) the second is just factual.

On our hunting trip, I killed five deer and you killed two. My score is three better/larger than yours, and your score is three worse/smaller than mine.

oristarA

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 09:16 am
@contrex,
Excellent!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 09:54 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

Define "idiomatic" as you are using it here.

It is in regard to the word idiom, "a speech form or an expression of a given language that is peculiar to itself grammatically or cannot be understood from the individual meanings of its elements." (from the American Heritage Dictionary)
contrex

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 10:51 am
@InfraBlue,
I would hesitate to describe a construction like "[noun] at its most [adjective]" as idiomatic. It can be perfectly well understood from the individual meanings of its elements e.g.:

Steak - a cut of of meat

at its most - at some maximum state or level, described by a following adjective

delicious - good to eat.

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 02:59 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

I would hesitate to describe a construction like "[noun] at its most [adjective]" as idiomatic. It can be perfectly well understood from the individual meanings of its elements e.g.:

Steak - a cut of of meat

at its most - at some maximum state or level, described by a following adjective

delicious - good to eat.

But see, that's what I was pointing out, the adjective is describing that maximum state or level, or as I suggested, a point, "most delicious state/level/point." It's not directly describing the steak itself. In that it's idiomatic. Sure, it's understandable, but it doesn't follow typical grammatical conventions.
contrex

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 04:11 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
it's understandable, but it doesn't follow typical grammatical conventions.

"Typical"? I don't know what to say, except that English is not algebra or Lego. Are you a native English speaker?