Counter-Radicalization: Tackling Emotions to Tackle Terrorism

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2014 04:45 pm
Quote:
Tackling Emotions to Tackle Terror -- Innovative Counter Radicalization Strategies to Be Tested
(Edit Schlaffer, Huffington Post, May 7, 2014)

Terrorism is the new reality on the same level as air pollution, climate change and financial decline. Even in peaceful Austria, two teenage girls embarked on a journey to Syria to become brides of fighters and serve Allah through Jihad. Their two mothers are heartbroken, both established middle class women born in Bosnia. Meanwhile they join thousands of parents across Europe, whose children were also driven by the call to Syria. As the parents try to come to terms with the individual choices of their adolescents, they wonder, as well as security agencies, how they will have changed when they return, if they survive this adventure at all. There is a possibility of personal trauma but also they might bring terror back to their homelands.

In Nigeria, the fate of the abducted Nigerian girls has gripped at our hearts. Shockingly, nothing much seems to have happened. Although there is super technology that tracks terror outfits in distant Yemen and Swat valley, technology fails us to find this group young girls - and their desperate parents must trudge alone into the woods armed only with slings and arrows. There is certainly a global disconnect in attitude and determination. All of a sudden, terrorism is not only about bombing landmark buildings or popular public spaces - these actions are sending a clearer message. Terrorists are fighting education, women's rights, fighting in the deepest sense the fabric of all humanity. There is an undeclared war raging across countries in the already most volatile regions of the world. And we in the West might not be spared in the long run. Still we seem to be paralyzed to find the right response; we are bystanders watching a horror evolve in front of our eyes.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/edit-schlaffer/tackling-emotions-to-tack_b_5274325.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 5,339 • Replies: 90

wandeljw

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2014 09:22 am
Quote:
Countering the call to British Muslims to jihad
By Caroline Wyatt, Religious affairs correspondent, BBC News, August 22, 2014

The Muslim Council of Britain has called on British Muslims to play their part in countering radicalisation and reject the barbarity of Islamic State militants.

The secretary general of the council, Dr Shuja Shafi, said British Muslims were "horrified at the abhorrent murder" of US journalist James Foley and urged them to report any wrongdoing to the police.

The statement came as the hunt went on in the UK for those who killed Mr Foley and uploaded footage of the murder earlier this week.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-28905772
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 11:55 am
Raising the terrorist threat level in the UK today is linked to the fact that at least 500 British nationals have joined militant groups in Syria and Iraq.

Quote:
Britain has raised the terror threat risk level from substantial to “severe,” meaning that a terrorist attack is considered “highly likely,” due to recent developments in Iraq and Syria.

British Prime Minister David Cameron said on Friday that extra security measures are now being enforced after the UK's terror threat level was raised to the second highest of five possible.

Cameron also said the ISIL Takfiri group is a direct threat to the security of Britain.

“What we are facing in Iraq now with ISIL is a greater and deeper threat to our security than we have known before,” said Cameron, noting that at least 500 British nationals have travelled from UK to fight in Syria and Iraq.
http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2014/08/29/377002/britain-raises-terror-threat-level/
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 12:01 pm
I am wondering what those who join these radical groups see in it to attract them. To me, all I see is oppression and I don't understand the attraction.
wandeljw

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 12:35 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

I am wondering what those who join these radical groups see in it to attract them. To me, all I see is oppression and I don't understand the attraction.

Clark McCauley and Sophia Moskalenko have identified several mechanisms that cause individuals to be attracted to radical groups: personal grievance, political grievance, a "slippery slope" progression from minimally radical actions to lethal actions, following a family member or lover into a radical group, status-seeking, thrill-seeking, isolation and alienation.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 02:07 pm
Quote:
Terrorism expert says isolation driving Calgarians to join ISIL
(BY MANISHA KRISHNAN, CALGARY HERALD, August 17, 2014)

Calgary jihadist Farah Mohamed Shirdon, in his 20s, was reportedly killed abroad after joining the terrorist group Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), which now calls itself Islamic State. Shirdon’s death follows those of fellow Calgarians Salman Ashrafi, who also died fighting with ISIL in Iraq and Damaian Clairmont, 22, a member of an Al-Qaeda-affiliated group who was killed in Syria. The men are just two of an estimated 30 Calgarians that have been recruited by foreign terror groups, according to Calgary police.

The Herald asked Michael Zekulin, a political science professor and terrorism expert at University of Calgary, what causes Canadians to become radicalized and how to prevent it from happening.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Terrorism+expert+says+isolation+driving+Calgarians+join+ISIL/10125070/story.html
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2014 11:40 am
Quote:
British jihadists to be forced to attend deradicalisation programmes, says Cameron
(By Tom Whitehead, The Telegraph, September 1, 2014)

British jihadists returning from Iraq and Syria will be forced to attend “deradicalisation” programmes to reverse their warped brainwashing, David Cameron announced.

Dangerous fanatics made subject to court controls will be ordered to engage in anti-extremism schemes as part of a raft of new measures to combat the risk of British Islamists returning to the UK.

The move comes amid growing concern over the threat posed by Britons who have joined the terror group Isil in Syria and Iraq.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/11068878/British-jihadists-to-be-forced-to-attend-deradicalisation-programmes-says-Cameron.html
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 03:02 pm
Quote:
RCMP seeks to ID youth at risk of radicalization
(BY DOUGLAS QUAN, POSTMEDIA NEWS, September 5, 2014)

With more and more Canadians taking up arms in far-off conflict zones, the RCMP is embarking on an ambitious plan to try to identify young people at risk of becoming radicalized and exposing them to "positive influences."

"The signs could be they're not going to school, they're feeling isolated, their understanding of geopolitics is not what we would say is the standard. And that's where positive intervention could be, 'Let's get someone, (possibly) a political science university teacher, to maybe put things in context,' " Sgt. Renu Dash, acting director of the RCMP's federal policing public engagement team, said Thursday. Security experts said this week that authorities were wise to adopt one-on-one interventions as part of their counter-terrorism efforts, but they also had key questions and concerns: What criteria will be used to determine who is targeted for intervention? Will the RCMP get enough buy-in from community players, some of whom may be fearful of being labelled as "spies?" "This is key. If you do not have buy-in from the communities, your plan is dead in the water," said Mubin Shaikh, the former CSIS informant who helped to expose the Toronto-18 terrorism plot.
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/RCMP+seeks+youth+risk+radicalization/10176646/story.html
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 05:54 pm
Following without commenting. Thought you might like to know.
revelette2

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2014 11:16 am
@roger,
I know, for myself, I didn't know what else to say. Regardless of all the reasons listed, I still couldn't see the attraction to join such a oppressive violent group. I would feel the same for any other extremist violent political organization, mix in religion, and it would just be intolerable.
wandeljw

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2014 01:36 pm
Quote:
Details Emerge About Douglas McCain, American Jihadist Killed in Syria
(Voice of America News, August 27, 2014)

Douglas McAuthur McCain, the first known American to be killed while fighting alongside Islamic militants in Syria, was an undistinguished 33-year-old raised in Minnesota who most recently worked as a caregiver in California.

So what compelled him to leave for the Middle East this spring and to take up arms on behalf of religious extremists?

The U.S. National Security Council confirmed McCain's death on Tuesday. The State Department said U.S. officials had been in contact with McCain's family.

The issue of Americans joining radical forces in places like Syria, getting training and even indoctrination in terrorist ideology, has pushed to the forefront concern among U.S. officials, who fear one or more might try to return and commit terrorist acts on American soil.
http://www.voanews.com/content/us-man-suspected-of-fighting-alongside-militants-killed-in-syria/2429355.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2014 09:15 pm
I'm reading an unrelated book that is actually rather related, Elmore Leonard's Djibouti. It's my least favorite book of his but still I read on. A NYTimes review explained that because of his writing style in it, it doesn't get going until half way through. You can say that again. But.. I am learning a lot, and not only about sea pirates - also jihad stuff, which of course I thought I knew about.

I don't know the ending yet..
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 08:11 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

I know, for myself, I didn't know what else to say. Regardless of all the reasons listed, I still couldn't see the attraction to join such a oppressive violent group. I would feel the same for any other extremist violent political organization, mix in religion, and it would just be intolerable.

From the viewpoint of someone living in a stable liberal democracy with no concerns about meddling by foreign powers.

The West has had an uneasy relationship with Islam, from the Crusades through to 19th Century Imperialism, The Cold War and the 21st Century with Arab/Persian protesters complaining of American Hegemony in the Middle East.

Radical Islam, unlike other more moderate political movements, has been a consistent opponent of Crusades/Imperialism/Hegemony, and if you're an angry disillusioned young person, their absolute stance does have a certain romantic appeal.
panzade

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 08:45 am
Reading along also.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2014 07:00 am
Counter-radicalization techniques have also been used for non-Muslim extremist groups. Since 1998, Sweden and Germany has had a program called "Exit" to rehabilitate individuals desiring to leave neo-nazi groups.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2014 08:00 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

revelette2 wrote:

From the viewpoint of someone living in a stable liberal democracy with no concerns about meddling by foreign powers.

The West has had an uneasy relationship with Islam, from the Crusades through to 19th Century Imperialism, The Cold War and the 21st Century with Arab/Persian protesters complaining of American Hegemony in the Middle East.

Radical Islam, unlike other more moderate political movements, has been a consistent opponent of Crusades/Imperialism/Hegemony, and if you're an angry disillusioned young person, their absolute stance does have a certain romantic appeal.
Except for Afganistan (a defensive Moslem operation),
the Moslems were relatively quiet during the Cold War, which was the 3rd World War.

David
izzythepush

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2014 08:28 am
@OmSigDAVID,
What do you think happened in Iran?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2014 08:33 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
What do you think happened in Iran?
With Jimmy Carter 's help,
the Moslems overthrew the Shah.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2014 08:45 am
Quote:
With Jimmy Carter 's help,
the Moslems overthrew the Shah.

Well, this thread is well and truly shagged.
"Ignorance Is Bliss" has arrived.
I'll not stick around for further nonsense.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2014 10:42 am
@izzythepush,
And India after its independence, for that matter.
0 Replies