MENSA QUESTION

giujohn

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 06:26 pm
You are on a horse, galloping at a constant speed.

On your right side is sharp drop off, and on your left side is an elephant traveling at the same speed as you.

Directly in front of you is a galloping kangaroo and your horse is unable to overtake it.

Behind you is a lion running at the same speed as you and the Kangaroo.

What must you do to safely get out of this highly dangerous situation?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,192 • Replies: 23

giujohn

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 06:45 pm
@giujohn,
You can email me to answer or get the answer.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 06:49 pm
@giujohn,
Get off the merry go round
giujohn

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 06:51 pm
@chai2,
MMMM...NOPE!
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 06:52 pm
@giujohn,
Wake up.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 06:53 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Sorry, I changed my answer, see above
luismtzzz

@giujohn,
1. lets see some animal facts.

Quote:
Lionesses are faster than males and can reach maximum speeds of 35 mph (57 km/h)[26] on short distances of the order of approximately 90 meters, and a top speed on 50 mph (80 km/h) for 20 meters.

I am considering that it was a male Lion since you didn´t said otherwise. So they are heavier bulkier and get tire faster. Also they are very lazy.

Quote:
Kangoroo. The comfortable hopping speed for a kangaroo is about 21–26 km/h (13–16 mph), but speeds of up to 71 km/h (44 mph) can be attained over short distances, while it can sustain a speed of 40 km/h (25 mph) for nearly 2 km (1.2 mi).[43] The faster a kangaroo hops, the less energy it consumes (up to its cruising speed).

A Kangoroo can run faster for longer periods than an elephant so this particular kangorro is being an a*hole he could easily overpass the elephant.

Quote:
Elephant. The biologist John Hutchinson, in workbench a real record in 2002, by organizing a running with 42 elephants, the fastest reached 15 mph (24 km/h) on average during the sprint, by knowing that he weighs only 3 tons (what is little compared with an African elephant which must be even less fast). In the short period, values as a top speed 25 mph (40 km/h), the elephant it is to run, but if we compare him with the other animals, he is not very fast

So the kangoroo is mantaing the speed of the elephant, therefore i confirm he is the a*hole of this question.

A horse can mantain up to 1 to 2 miles. So: We just need to wait until the lion tires or until he decides that the run doesn´t worths the effort.

2. Jump on the elephant and ride him instead

3. Snap out of the dream
giujohn

@chai2,
Ah...that was a quick change!
chai2

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 06:54 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

chai2 wrote:

Sorry, I changed my answer, see above

However, this just makes it a joke.

I think my first answer was a good survival answer......Let the lion attack your horse, and run.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 06:55 pm
@giujohn,
Right. I confess I looked it up.

The "correct" answer is pretty silly.
giujohn

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 06:57 pm
@luismtzzz,
Nope
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 06:58 pm
@chai2,
Well actually the correct anser is, "get your drunk ass off the merry go round"
And its supposed to be silly!!!!!
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 08:14 pm
@giujohn,
Hmmmm. Since your o.p. says there is a drop-off on the right-hand side, that would indicate the carousel is traveling in a counter-clockwise direction, widershins as it were. This is quite unusual. In my experience, merry-go-rounds go deasil, i.e. clockwise.

Or did I get that backwards?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 08:31 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
are you sure about the direction?

the carousel I've been on most recently travels counter-clockwise
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 08:43 pm
While they can go in either direction mechanically they always go counter clockwise in the U.S. In europe the other way.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 09:18 pm
Yeah, maybe I was channeling my childhood. Now that you mention it, last time I rode on a merry-go-round was maybe 10 years ago in either San Francisco or Galveston, TX, and I think the thing did go counter-clockwise.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 03:33 pm
@giujohn,
Maybe it is in Australia as there is a kangeroo involved. Doesn't the southern hemisphere go the opposite way -- like when you flush the toliet -- maybe merry go rounds also do this in the southern hemisphere.
giujohn

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 03:47 pm
@Linkat,
uh yeah....I dont think the coriolis effect has anything to do with it!
Linkat

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 04:14 pm
@giujohn,
You should ask David - he is our resident mensa expert.
0 Replies

luismtzzz

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 06:54 pm
@Linkat,
When i was a child there was a small fair that went every October to the church near my grandmoms house. We call those: Kermes. They have a religious meaning, almost always a Saint is involved, but that was not the point.

They had a caroussel and it had a Dragon and a Sea horse. i loved to ride them, those where my fovorites. I am pretty sure the caroussel moved counter clockwise. But i am also in North America (sorry US people but a river does not gives you the exclusivity for that title), we need a real southerner to tell us how their merries go round go round.