I may be appearing here as daLowan

dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 09:12 am
@jespah,
It's very hard to take you seriously when you're a wee doggy in a pink bunny costume, you know.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 10:32 am
@dlowan,
The inmates are running the asylum! Others have gotten their account names changed for just such a reason. Why don't you (privately) speak to Jessalonika and see about setting up an account with a new e-mail (and writing down the damned password!) and then getting it changed to your current user name.

If you must change your account name, change it to Da Wabbit.
jespah

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 11:23 am
@Setanta,
Actually, oralloy's idea was a really good one. Make 2 throwaway mail accounts, shift the dlowan and the one on the preferred email address over to them (let's call them throwaway1 and throwaway2, and then just move the dlowan account onto the preferred email address. And then hang onto the passwords and other information for both throwaway accounts in case they're needed for any other reason (you can always use them to do things like sign up for stuff or sign petitions or whatever, if you don't want your preferred inbox spammed). Don't forget to change your gravatar to the correct preferred email address as well.
Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 11:27 am
Can she do that if she has forgotten her password? If not, d.lowan or d-lowan could work as new account names that people would immediately recognize. Chai has done fine with her new account name.
jespah

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 11:28 am
@Setanta,
Huh, well the dlowan account should have a known password, yes? As for the one on the preferred account, she has access to it and can request a new password if she needs one.

Does that make sense?
timur

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 11:33 am
@jespah,
Concomitantly with yesterday's glitch on passwords, the views' counters stopped.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 12:09 pm
@dlowan,
U shud make a list of all your passwords.
Keep it in a safe place.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 12:16 pm
And here I thought yesterday that it was just my 'puter acting up.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 12:28 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
After a while, I speculated that it might be system-wide.

Abuzz used to fail a lot more ofen than A2K does.
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 12:32 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
A2k wouldn't let me in yesterday from my iPad.

I encountered the exact problem late Friday evening. I could not log in nor create a new account. From one of my gmail accounts I wrote to able2know "Contact us", got a ticket, and they fixed it; I don't know how long it took, because I went to sleep, but the next morning, I was able to access my account and my name appeared without my having to log in. It seemed to have been their problem because the e-mail from them "apologized for the inconvenience" and said their people were on it.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 01:13 pm
@dlowan,
I too had a similar (if not the same problem) signing onto a2k yesterday. I didn't make a new account though. Couldn't sign in yesterday and couldn't reset my password either.

I guess it was a forum wide problem now. I messaged a moderator yesterday too see if my account was compromised. No answer but considering I can sign in today I guess that point is moot. Still, I would have liked to have received some notice from the admins about the problem (via email, etc...) so I wouldn't have to worry.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 01:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Still, I would have liked to have received some notice from the admins about the problem (via email, etc...) so I wouldn't have to worry.
As said: it was on facebook
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 01:49 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
I saw your ticket! Many thanks for using the system.
Ragman

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 02:23 pm
@jespah,
I was amazed at how quickly it was fixed, especially considering the volunteer nature of things and it being Saturday.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 02:25 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
U shud make a list of all your passwords.
Keep it in a safe place.

There exist programs that do this now. They function just as a list of passwords in a text file, but they encrypt the list so that it requires a master password to access it.

That way you only need to remember the one master password, and all your other passwords can both be different from each other, and also be very difficult (long strings of random gibberish characters even).

I have one of these programs built into my Norton security software I believe, but am hesitant to use it in case I ever decide to stop using Norton, or fall on hard times and have to stop paying my yearly Norton activation fee. That's probably ignorance on my part, but being ignorant I am wary.

I've installed a free open-source version of the concept (called KeePass) but I can't testify yet on how useful it is because I've not gotten around to trying it out.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 04:37 pm
I had a problem yesterday too. I found myself logged out, and my password wasn't accepted, and the re-set verification link sent to my e-mail wasn't working either. I had no idea what was going on.

It would be nice if a message could be posted at the top of the main page indicating there were sign-in problems that were being worked on and fixed.

It would never occur to me to look on Facebook--I never use Facebook.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 07:22 pm
@timur,
Quote:
the views' counters stopped
i believe that happened about a week ago.
have been seeing new topics w/ replies + zero views...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 08:56 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

I saw your ticket! Many thanks for using the system.

I thought my devices had just dropped the password...I've been clearing stuff.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 08:57 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Actually, oralloy's idea was a really good one. Make 2 throwaway mail accounts, shift the dlowan and the one on the preferred email address over to them (let's call them throwaway1 and throwaway2, and then just move the dlowan account onto the preferred email address. And then hang onto the passwords and other information for both throwaway accounts in case they're needed for any other reason (you can always use them to do things like sign up for stuff or sign petitions or whatever, if you don't want your preferred inbox spammed). Don't forget to change your gravatar to the correct preferred email address as well.

yep....I managed to get my head around that post!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 03:58 pm
@jespah,
It was handled beautifully. A short note to the help desk and PRESTO!
I was in.
0 Replies