I may be appearing here as daLowan

dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 12:36 am
A2k wouldn't let me in yesterday from my iPad. I can no longer access a password reminder or create a new password on this account because the account email no longer exists.

So, I have set up a new account as daLowan in case I can't get in again.

Just a heads up for friends.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 2,310 • Replies: 39

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 12:41 am
@dlowan,
Are the Hamsters all dead now? This should be fixable. THese are spooky times.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 12:42 am
@dlowan,
while you're in this account, change the email address (I did it when my old ISP was sold)
dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 12:46 am
@ehBeth,
How? I think I asked and I couldn't

I can't recall the password and it wants the old password so I can make it a new one!

Oddly, it seems to have both my old dead account email and my current email listed in my account
roger

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 12:53 am
@dlowan,
In "My Account" you can change password at the top, but look below that stuff, and you'll have the chance to change email address. I don't think you need to confirm password to do that.

DaLowan just doesn't sound right.
dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 12:56 am
@roger,
When I look I have to give the old password to change it.

Ah.....I see the problem. I set up an account from my current email when I couldn't get in from the old email....so my current email has an account already.

And, dammit, I just set up a new account from my backup email so I can't use that either now!!!!
ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 01:00 am
@dlowan,
go into my account

below the change password is update email

change the email to the one you want to use

that's how it worked for me
oralloy

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 01:44 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Ah.....I see the problem. I set up an account from my current email when I couldn't get in from the old email....so my current email has an account already.
And, dammit, I just set up a new account from my backup email so I can't use that either now!!!!

I have a suggestion. Set up two new free email accounts.

Before anything else, transfer this account to one of the new email accounts. This will preserve your access to your existing account if you should end up "logged off" during the rest of the process.

You will need to click an "activation link" that will be sent to the new email address before the account will be transferred.

Next, move your "second a2k backup" to the other new email account.

Next, move your "first a2k backup" to your "first backup email" (unless it is already in the right spot).

This should result in your primary email being open. At which point you can move your "primary a2k account" to your "primary email account".
dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 01:50 am
@ehBeth,
Yes....look at my last post and we see the problem!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 01:51 am
@oralloy,
I'll read that until I understand it!

I was thinking of getting a hotmail account or something to transfer my primary account to.
oralloy

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 02:33 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I was thinking of getting a hotmail account or something to transfer my primary account to.

That runs the risk of the hotmail account being forgotten over time, or eventually deactivated due to inactivity.

That's why I was suggesting that your "second backup" end up on the free account.

---

A simpler (but much riskier) process is to set up one new email account and transfer your "second a2k backup" to it.

Then transfer your "first a2k backup" to your "first backup email" (unless already in the right spot).

Then transfer your "primary a2k account" to your "primary email".

But this plan has an element of risk in that your primary account is only protected in the very last step. If you get logged out of your primary account during all of the transfers, you will not be able to get back in.

The more complex maneuver protects your primary account first, and only then starts shifting everything around.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 03:12 am
@dlowan,
This apparently happened to several of us yesterday, D.

I kept trying...and finally got in to the forum after about 2 hours of the attempts. Got a reply to an inquiry I sent that indicated a problem had been fixed.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 03:18 am
@Frank Apisa,
It was going on for a couple of hours yesterday. (Was mentioned on facebook as well.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 03:43 am
Able2Know doesn't "care" if the e-mail account with which you logged in is currently active. It doesn't go check it every time you log in. When the brouhaha subsided yesterday, it was possible to come back and log-in in the normal manner.

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings."
oralloy

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 04:40 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Able2Know doesn't "care" if the e-mail account with which you logged in is currently active. It doesn't go check it every time you log in. When the brouhaha subsided yesterday, it was possible to come back and log-in in the normal manner.

True. But I believe having the a2k account tied to an active email address can gain you access to the a2k account if you forget your password and need to log in again.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 05:00 am
I had the same thing happen yesterday. Seems ok today.
dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 06:14 am
@Setanta,
Sigh. I am currently able to log in because my devices remember my password.

As I move to new devices that will no longer be so.

Yesterday was a preview of that.

As it stands at present, for reasons explained above, I am unable to receive a new password, change my password or change my email account for dlowan.

As kind people here have pointed out, if I set up a new email account that will solve the problem.
dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 06:15 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I had the same thing happen yesterday. Seems ok today.

It is. But sooner or later I'll not have devices that know my password!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 06:30 am
@dlowan,
same thing happened to me. I was wondering whether it wasn't some hackers messing with the system and having a phishing expedition.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 08:33 am
We did have an issue yesterday. It wasn't a hack; it had to be fixed on the dev side. The hamsters are alive and well; the Help Desk worked just fine yesterday (and about 2 dozen or so people made use of it, thank you). This was also announced as fixed on Facebook. Best I can do, folks.