Realistic preparations for US Isis attack

Frank Apisa

Sat 30 Aug, 2014 09:47 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
I am not saying that they are not acting, I am saying that we are in real danger, that more can be done, and that when they assume their jobs, they become responsible to try to do what needs to be done. I am not saying anything whatever about whether I could do better.

Good that you are not...or I would be pressing you further to run for office.

I think they are doing all that they can considering the political climate right now. Listen to all the nonsense thrown at the NSA for their monitoring efforts aimed at "doing more."

It is not all that easy to get the citizenry behind the kinds of massive efforts needed to get safety elevated...and we will NEVER be completely safe. A determined terrorist will almost always eventually succeed.

Quote:

Purely defensive measures will not succeed. We will still be vulnerable to devastating attacks withing our country. If we don't want such tragedies to happen, then we must include attack as part of our strategy. Far better to stop them now where they live than to wait for large attacks on our soil, such as bombings of busy public places.

Once again, Brandon...a fine slogan...but much too long for a bumper sticker.

Your suggested "solution" is nothing more than an invitation to endless war...the neo-con nonsense that got us deeper into this mess under Bush the Younger.

Who the hell are we going to attack?

Where?

We already are using drones to "attack" some elements...how much further do you think we should go?
Brandon9000

Sat 30 Aug, 2014 10:26 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Purely defensive measures will not succeed. We will still be vulnerable to devastating attacks withing our country. If we don't want such tragedies to happen, then we must include attack as part of our strategy. Far better to stop them now where they live than to wait for large attacks on our soil, such as bombings of busy public places.

Once again, Brandon...a fine slogan...but much too long for a bumper sticker.

Your suggested "solution" is nothing more than an invitation to endless war...the neo-con nonsense that got us deeper into this mess under Bush the Younger.

Who the hell are we going to attack?

Where?

We already are using drones to "attack" some elements...how much further do you think we should go?

I think we should work actively to destroy the groups who are likely candidates for wanting to strike at us in our countries and who are also likely candidates for having both the means and the will to do it. Our military attacks on ISIS are a good start, but I doubt very much that this is sufficient to hurt them enough to significantly reduce the likelihood if such attacks by them. It is only sensible to protect ourselves from highly plausible attacks by enemies.
cicerone imposter

Sat 30 Aug, 2014 10:43 am
@Brandon9000,
I agree to a certain extent, but that's only if collateral damage is minimized. Pin pricks here and there isn't going to stop a huge terrorist organization like ISIS who has the ability to recruit many more.
revelette2

Sat 30 Aug, 2014 11:06 am
@Brandon9000,
You still haven't said anything specific. What does "much more" mean exactly? I think there are plans to increase what we are already doing. I don't know how I feel about it. I don't see an end in sight when it comes to fighting terrorist. I just wish I knew what it is they want. Whatever is done, it will be criticized by the left as being too much, by the right as being too little. If nothing is done, then he will be accused of being a do nothing president.
Quehoniaomath

Sat 30 Aug, 2014 12:01 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
You still haven't said anything specific. What does "much more" mean exactly? I think there are plans to increase what we are already doing. I don't know how I feel about it. I don't see an end in sight when it comes to fighting terrorist. I just wish I knew what it is they want. Whatever is done, it will be criticized by the left as being too much, by the right as being too little. If nothing is done, then he will be accused of being a do nothing president.

The best thing to do is to do nothing!
The USA & Israel created IS, ISIS whatever!

He wants to start a war!!! lets prevent that!
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Sat 30 Aug, 2014 02:45 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
I just wish I knew what it is they want.

From various articles I've read (ISIS aka The Islamic State in Iraq and Syria) is seeking to create a caliphate governed by strict Islamic law across Syria and Iraq.

ISIS poses a threat to US and UK interests. (Minister David Cameron is also ringing alarm bells, asserting that Britain has become too tolerant for its own good, bringing about a rise in extremism.) "At least 500 Brits had gone to fight in Syria and potentially in Iraq." The US has an embassy almost the size of the vatican in Iraq with many American employees. President Barack Obama ordered up an additional 200 American military troops for deployment in Iraq on Monday, where they will be tasked with helping secure the US Embassy and the Baghdad International Airport.
Quehoniaomath

Sat 30 Aug, 2014 02:51 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
why do people believe all that ???

0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 30 Aug, 2014 02:59 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Moment-in-Time wrote:
From various articles I've read (ISIS aka The Islamic State in Iraq and Syria)

Wrong. Their name was Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant.

The Levant includes the following countries: Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Jordan, and the Sinai Peninsula region of Egypt.

Moment-in-Time wrote:
From various articles I've read (ISIS aka The Islamic State in Iraq and Syria) is seeking to create a caliphate governed by strict Islamic law across Syria and Iraq.

No. They want a caliphate across the entire planet.

That is why they changed their name to just plain IS (Islamic State). They realized that their previous name was incompatible with their goal of conquering the entire planet and committing genocide against all non-Muslims worldwide.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 30 Aug, 2014 03:10 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
I just wish I knew what it is they want.

Who is they? The terrorists?

The terrorists want to conquer the entire world, commit genocide against all non-Muslims, abolish freedom and democracy, and make it a capital offense to teach a woman how to read.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Sat 30 Aug, 2014 03:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I agree to a certain extent, but that's only if collateral damage is minimized. Pin pricks here and there isn't going to stop a huge terrorist organization like ISIS who has the ability to recruit many more.

Totally agree. We should always try super-hard to minimize the collateral deaths of innocents. However, it might also be noted that many of these groups specialize in murdering innocents and the primary, intended targets.
cicerone imposter

Sat 30 Aug, 2014 03:26 pm
@Brandon9000,
Most of us know that ISIS doesn't value life, and that's the reason why I would like to see the US and our allies strike at them to minimize collateral damage.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Sat 30 Aug, 2014 03:26 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

Groups like ISIS and Al Qaeda are our enemies. It is by no means far fetched to imagine them attacking us in our own countries. Far better to attack them where they live now than to wait either for them to strike us at home or for them to overrun and control other places before we respond. I haven't given specifics because I don't know specifics. This is not my area of expertise. However, I would think that stronger military action and work by the intelligence agencies would be part of it. We should also try to understand better how they come into existence, why they stay in existence, and why people support them.
cicerone imposter

Sat 30 Aug, 2014 03:38 pm
@Brandon9000,
I have somewhat of a different 'take' on this situation with terrorist organizations, because we can also have home grown terrorists who can join with them from home or in their country.

However, those in Syria and Iraq are performing their deathly deeds to destabilize that region and the world. They need to be stopped in every way possible except for the harming of innocent people.

I believe the longer we wait to take action, the harder it's going to get for the world community to stop these terrorist groups.

I'm wondering how far Putin is planning to go beyond Ukraine? "Do no harm" is not a plan.
0 Replies

parados

Sat 30 Aug, 2014 04:30 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
They could utilize a couple of people in the US to bomb public places and such people could do a lot of damage.

Possibly, but the likelihood of them doing more damage than Timothy McVeigh are pretty slim because they wouldn't have access to many of the materials in quantities to build anything of any size.

Quote:
How would you like to see a series of bombings of malls and movie theaters? And, contrary to your point, there is really no reason why it couldn't continue.
There are several reasons why it wouldn't continue. Law enforcement being one of the reasons. Simple precautions that were taken in England could be in place here and actually are already in place in much of the US.

Quote:
What are these logistics which would make it impossible?
What are the logistics that make it possible to have several attacks that are all the same? Do you think we can't respond? Do you think there is no video surveillance in place in much of the country all of a sudden which would identify and capture suspects?
parados

Sat 30 Aug, 2014 04:32 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:

Monitoring will never be sufficient to stop every plot. We don't exactly have video cameras in every one of their meetings.

The government has already stated that the Americans recently killed fighting for ISIS were on US watch lists. We don't have to know what they are doing in meetings. We only have to know that people were in Syria or Pakistan or Afghanistan to watch them.
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Sat 30 Aug, 2014 11:45 pm
It all is really a plot to start WOIII so the population is decimated (Obama doesn't give a **** about people!!!) , and more and more freedom can be taken away from us until we are in a Global State that wil be worse then Nazi Germany!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZbuOK9r-rQhnnVt-R0bQ7onxH3-tVBkcu6KcE8bJ-fn_i0VKXqA

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6Go4HPLBv6ejunS_2-_lHjPlx2jr8ZSdqa5PPqXXDOe4G3LTxeQ

http://asset-3.soup.io/asset/3195/7083_32e2.jpeg

ZzzzzzzZZZ ZZZZzzzZZzzzzZZZZ

film at eleven!!!

man o man!!!!

0 Replies

Brandon9000

Sun 31 Aug, 2014 10:16 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
They could utilize a couple of people in the US to bomb public places and such people could do a lot of damage.

Possibly, but the likelihood of them doing more damage than Timothy McVeigh are pretty slim because they wouldn't have access to many of the materials in quantities to build anything of any size....

Timothy McVeigh did a lot of damage. Also, remember that his goal was to strike at the US government. Presumably, the goal of the terrorists would be to create terror, so they might strike in areas of high density of the general public. I see no reason why a terrorist cell in the US couldn't perform several of such missions before being caught. Look at those anthrax letters several years ago. Whoever did that was never caught. We'd better hope that ISIS, Al Qaeda, and the groups like them never get their hands on biological or chemical weapons. That would probably be even worse than the use of explosives.
revelette2

Sun 31 Aug, 2014 10:59 am
@Brandon9000,
I worry about that, but I believe that now that we are aware of those dangers more than we were prior to 9/11, a lot of precautions are attempting to address those dangers. In fact, a lot of people think we are doing too much.

I worry a little more about local matters, right now, we have been a series of armed robberies and break ins in people's houses by drug addicts. I am terrified about that more than terrorists at the moment. We never used to lock our doors, now we lock our doors when we are home or run just down the street to the store. I am also scared of right wing extremist that seemed to have sprung up in recent years who have a gripe about the government like the recent Las Vegas shooting. Or the school shootings or the accidental shootings of kids with guns. My point is that there are a lot of dangers which seem more pressing at the moment.
cicerone imposter

Sun 31 Aug, 2014 11:46 am
@revelette2,
It's interesting to see so many people afraid of ISIS than all the daily dangers we encounter at home. The probability that we'll be killed by an ISIS member is about zero while we are exposed to all manners of dangers at home. Just driving one's car in their own neighborhood has a much higher probability than almost anything else in our lives. Millions of people fly every day around this planet without much fear of ISIS.

Interesting how fear impacts different people.
coldjoint

Sun 31 Aug, 2014 12:10 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Possibly, but the likelihood of them doing more damage than Timothy McVeigh are pretty slim because they wouldn't have access to many of the materials in quantities to build anything of any size.

And that knowledge comes from where? Out of your butt?
0 Replies