Realistic preparations for US Isis attack

oralloy

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 07:24 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
We never actually got around to field testing our N-bom,
the landlord's bom, before the communist empire collapsed; maybe . . .

The anti-war fiends mischaracterized neutron bombs because they thought it would make them unpalatable if people believed that the bombs killed while leaving property intact.

In reality neutron bombs do substantial property damage in the areas that they shower with lethal radiation.

The reason neutron bombs were favored was because the area of devastation is much more limited than with a traditional nuke.

For instance, if a normal nuke were used to destroy tanks in a quarter mile radius, it would wipe out property and civilians in a five mile radius.

If a neutron bomb were used to kill tank crews in a quarter mile radius, damage to property and civilians would be confined to that same quarter mile radius.

(My radii were used as general examples. I didn't run any calculations to generate actual damage radii.)

If someone were to devise a muon bomb, and if the yield were no more than 20 kt, that would produce a very strong pulse of soft X-rays with no blast effect.
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 09:28 am
This one is more then 100 years in the making! NOTHING coincidental about it!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 10:14 am
@Brandon9000,
ISIS is a terrorist organization fighting in Syria and Iraq. If Americans join ISIS, there's not much our government can do until they learn of that individual's intent on harming other Americans.

The US is involved in air strikes against ISIS now on the basis that they are a threat to that region and our own people.

The US is not ignoring ISIS.

cicerone imposter

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 10:18 am
@parados,
Brandon wrote,
Quote:
At this point, my argument is simply that there is a real danger to which we ought to try to find a solution.

The biggest danger we have is for our country to over react to this situation like the cop did against Michael Brown. That's more than self-defense and not necessary in the real world.

People like you who have unreasonable fear about terrorist groups that influences our government to react like that cop in Missouri is the real danger.

You are fearful of the unknown but very small real threat to our lives!
Frank Apisa

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 10:27 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Brandon wrote,
Quote:
At this point, my argument is simply that there is a real danger to which we ought to try to find a solution.

The biggest danger we have is for our country to over react to this situation like the cop did against Michael Brown. That's more than self-defense and not necessary in the real world.

People like you who have unreasonable fear about terrorist groups that influences our government to react like that cop in Missouri is the real danger.

You are fearful of the unknown but very small real threat to our lives!

People like you, ci, are the real danger to our language. Number agreement, ci...number agreement!

And you claim to be above average with it???
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 03:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Yes, the second place to the Nazis. Even in South Africa, under apartheid, they did not kill the blacks like they did under Nazism or the Zionism of their own countrymen. It's not about the length of time. It's about genocide. You probably fail to understand the definition.

Thank you for the confirmation.

From a relative standpoint (which you introduced by your "ranking" of "The Zionists" on your Evil Scale) length of time is entirely relevant, and is the death tolls.

Your ranking of Israel is, on its face absurd, (although all too typical of the disproportionate accusations of its critics) and not worth another line in refuting.

I understand the meaning of genocide very well, but it seems you are having a lot of trouble with it, despite the fact that you toss it around so casually.

It means the systematic destruction of all or a significant part of a racial, ethnic, religious or national group.

It does not mean wishing those people will go away, it does not mean encouraging or coercing those people to go away, unless by "going away" the group is likely to or intended to be destroyed. (For instance, if Nazi Germany had been content with driving all Jews from Germany into the rest of Europe or to America, it would not have been guilty of genocide. But, as we all know, the Nazis weren't content with forcing Jews to live somewhere else)

It also does not mean persecuting a group of people unless the persecution is likely or intended to destroy the group. American Slave owners were guilty of numerous heinous crimes, but genocide was not among them.

The "legal" definition, pursuant to a UN convention is as follows, and opens the door for interpretation by people like you who like to use "genocide" in their accusations:

Quote:
...any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such: killing members of the group; causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life, calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; [and] forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

Whether the writer intended that anyone reading this would assume the word "significant" that is missing from the phrase "in whole or in (significant) part," I can't say, but to read it in any other way, simply because one can, is a perversion of the concept of genocide.

A "part" of the European Jewish population in the 1930's and 1940's might have been 10 or even 1,000 individuals. It might have been all males over the age of 75, or those with degrees in physics. Acts intended to destroy these groups would not have been "genocide," as there is no plausible scenario where destruction of these "parts" could destroy the whole group.

On the other hand acting with the intent to kill all Jewish women under the age of 75 would be since if it could be accomplished, the Jewish "Group" would eventually die out and cease to exist.

I am unaware of any historical example of successful genocide which is to say the complete destruction of a given group of people, but there are plenty of examples where the intent to wipe a group off the face of the earth was very evident and the efforts to do so went very far - these are examples of genocide. Obviously the Nazis were guilty of genocide, and clearly so too were the Rwandan Hutus, not very long ago. The Zulus under Shaka in the early 1800's were guilty of genocide, as were the Turks in the early 1900s as respects the Armenians, Assyrians and Greeks.

Although Leopold of Belgium had oceans of blood on his hands due to his nation's exploitation of its colony of the Congo, I would argue that the estimated 8 million Congolese who died as a result of this exploitation were not victims of genocide. It doesn't clean any African blood off Leopold's legacy or soul though.But neither he nor the people who he placed in charge of "managing" the colony intended to destroy the Congolese people.

On the other hand, China's systematic efforts to kill significant numbers of Tibetans and to destroy the Tibetan religion/culture is certainly genocide.

What is clearly not genocide is the actions of Israel towards the Palestinians. First of all a significant number of Palestinians have not been killed by Israel. The number of dead in no way imperils the continuance of the Palestinian people. Their birth rate is higher than that of Israeli which is why the Right of Return is so important to them, and any argument that Israel is trying to whittle them down to a size than can be assimilated is absurd. Israel is certainly capable of killing more than a hundred or so Palestinians a year with the occasional spike to a few thousand during times of armed conflict (like we've seen this year). One thing Israel's friends and foes will usually agree upon is that the Israelis are not incompetent.

There is also no evidence that there is a systematic effort to destroy the Palestinian culture (however that may be defined) or disperse them to the four winds to such an extent that they would no longer exist as a cohesive people.

The insistence on accusing Israel of genocide is a blatant effort by it's critics to not only cast them in the worst possible light, but to equate them with the Nazis who actually tried very hard to wipe them from the face of the earth. It is a despicable tactic, and generally reserved to anti-Semites whose hatred of Jews pulsates. You are such an anti-Semite.

It is also why you have latched on to the use of "The Zionists." In this way you seek to shield yourself from accusations of anti-Semitism and still express your loathing. Even if the exaggerated crimes of which you accuse Israel were true, and they were perpetrated by men and women who could be described as Zionists, in the true sense of the word, it would be absurdly bigoted to accuse all Zionists of these crimes.

You attempt to take cover among those who strongly criticize Israel for reasons other than anti-Semitism, but your naked hatred is obvious and sickening.

cicerone imposter

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 04:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I use the dictionary definition of genocide.
Quote:
gen·o·cide
ˈjenəˌsīd/
noun
the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation.

Arabs/Palestinians killed by the Zionists is 91,105. In my book, that's a large group of people that includes innocent men, women and children.

This number is provided by the Jewish Virtual Library.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Fri 29 Aug, 2014 04:47 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

parados wrote:

Quote:
Are you aware that law enforcement actually does, from time to time, foil bombing attempts in the US by radical Muslims?

It seems you are unaware of that fact.

The fact that this has happened periodically absolutely demonstrates that people who wish to plant bombs cannot always be kept out of the US. It does not demonstrate that law enforcement will always catch all of them.

Who said law enforcement will always catch them?
Can there be a small scale bombing? Yes. Can ISIS mount a concerted attack by sending fighters to the US to do so? Not likely because the logistics would make it unlikely with our current security.

They could utilize a couple of people in the US to bomb public places and such people could do a lot of damage. How would you like to see a series of bombings of malls and movie theaters? And, contrary to your point, there is really no reason why it couldn't continue. What are these logistics which would make it impossible? All I advocate is recognizing the danger and trying to address it before it happens rather than once it starts happening. Heaven help us if they manage to obtain a biological weapon or nerve gas.
Brandon9000

Fri 29 Aug, 2014 04:49 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:

The biggest threat we have is not from people associated with ISIS or any other terrorist group. Those groups are monitored. The threat comes from lone people that are sympathetic and intelligent enough to create the threat without communicating with anyone about it.

Monitoring will never be sufficient to stop every plot. We don't exactly have video cameras in every one of their meetings.
Brandon9000

Fri 29 Aug, 2014 04:51 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

ISIS is a terrorist organization fighting in Syria and Iraq. If Americans join ISIS, there's not much our government can do until they learn of that individual's intent on harming other Americans.

The US is involved in air strikes against ISIS now on the basis that they are a threat to that region and our own people.

Good, but my point here is that they are our enemies and may well try to insert agents into the US to bomb public places. We should be sure that we stop them before they have the chance, not in reaction mode after a wave of bombings occurs in America.
edgarblythe

Fri 29 Aug, 2014 05:11 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

True. And, they don't put it on TV every move they make to keep us safe. That would defeat the purpose.
0 Replies

revelette2

Fri 29 Aug, 2014 06:45 am
@Brandon9000,
So what are you getting at, what do you want done that isn't being done?
revelette2

Fri 29 Aug, 2014 07:11 am
Not sure if the following goes along with this thread, but...anyway. Other than the obvious line which leaves an open target, it seems like the Iraq/Syria situation will escalate on our part.

Obama Says ‘We Don’t Have a Strategy Yet’ for Fighting ISIS

Quote:

“I don’t want to put the cart before the horse: we don’t have a strategy yet,”

Obama said of the effort to combat the militant group Islamic State of Iraq and Greater Syria (ISIS) in its safe haven in Syria. “I think what I’ve seen in some of the news reports suggest that folks are getting a little further ahead of what we’re at than what we currently are.”

Obama’s comment that “we don’t have a strategy,” delivered to reporters at the White House before the Labor Day holiday weekend, prompted immediate mockery from Republicans — not to mention quick damage control from the White House.

“In his remarks today, [Obama] was explicit — as he has been in the past — about the comprehensive strategy we’ll use to confront [ISIS] threat,” White House press secretary Josh Earnest said in a series of Twitter posts. “He was referring to military options for striking [ISIS] in Syria,” Earnest added in a hastily scheduled CNN appearance.

Obama was set to meet with the National Security Council on Thursday evening, and he said his Administration is working hard to develop a plan for stemming ISIS’s spread from Iraq to Syria.

“We need to make sure that we’ve got clear plans, that we’re developing them,” he said. Obama said he’s ordered Secretary of State John Kerry to begin assembling a coalition to strike back at ISIS, while he has tasked Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel and the Joint Chiefs of Staff to present him with military options. “We’re gonna cobble together the kind of coalition that we need for a long-term strategy as soon as we are able to fit together the military, political and economic components of that strategy,” Obama said. “There will be a military aspect to that.”

The President defended his decision not to seek authorization from Congress before beginning strikes on ISIS targets in Iraq three weeks ago, saying the urgency of the threat to the U.S. consulate in Erbil required immediate action. “I can’t afford to wait in order to make sure that those folks are protected,” Obama said. Since Aug. 8, the military has conducted 106 air strikes in Iraq, according to U.S. Central Command.

Obama suggested that once he has a strategy for tackling ISIS, he would seek authorization from Congress, particularly since it may require additional funding. “It is my intention that Congress has to have some buy-in as representatives of the American people,” he said.

“This should be a wake-up call to Sunni, to [Shi‘ite], to everybody, that a group like ISIS is beyond the pale; that they have no vision or ideology beyond violence and chaos and the slaughter of innocent people,” Obama said. “And as a consequence, we’ve got to all join together — even if we have differences on a range of political issues — to make sure that they’re rooted out.”

Obama also condemned continued Russia aggression in Ukraine, following U.S. and NATO confirmation of Russian ground troops and heavy equipment fighting against the Ukrainian military in eastern Ukraine, but he stopped short of calling it an invasion. The President ruled out American military action in Ukraine, but said the U.S. stands with its NATO allies in the region and suggested that additional sanctions on Russia will be forthcoming.

“We are not taking military action to solve the Ukrainian problem,” Obama said. “What we’re doing is to mobilize the international community to apply pressure on Russia. But I think it is very important to recognize that a military solution to this problem is not going to be forthcoming.”

Brandon9000

Sat 30 Aug, 2014 08:48 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

I'm getting at the fact that it is a serious threat for which some preparation should be made.

Now, if you want to know what I personally think should be done, I think that we could tighten security of items shipped into the country, and that there are other security related matters which could be addressed, but that purely defensive measures will never keep out everyone who wants to do this. If we wish to succeed, then the only really effective way is to be even more active now in destroying the people who would do this to us and not wait for them to succeed in attacks within our borders.
Frank Apisa

Sat 30 Aug, 2014 09:02 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

revelette2 wrote:

I'm getting at the fact that it is a serious threat for which some preparation should be made.

Now, if you want to know what I personally think should be done, I think that we could tighten security of items shipped into the country, and that there are other security related matters which could be addressed, but that purely defensive measures will never keep out everyone who wants to do this. If we wish to succeed, then the only really effective way is to be even more active now in destroying the people who would do this to us and not wait for them to succeed in attacks within our borders.

I can understand where you are coming from, Brandon...but that merely highlights the fact that we out here...do not have to deal with the political implications of getting stuff accomplished.

We cannot get an infrastructure bill passed (or even seriously proposed)...so there is no chance of us getting what amounts to a genocide bill passed or proposed.

We, out here where free speech flourishes, can propose solutions that have no way in hell of ever getting the political punch necessary for implementation. Reasonable politicians don't have that luxury.
Brandon9000

Sat 30 Aug, 2014 09:05 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

revelette2 wrote:

I can understand where you are coming from, Brandon...but that merely highlights the fact that we out here...do not have to deal with the political implications of getting stuff accomplished.

We cannot get an infrastructure bill passed (or even seriously proposed)...so there is no chance of us getting what amounts to a genocide bill passed or proposed.

We, out here where free speech flourishes, can propose solutions that have no way in hell of ever getting the political punch necessary for implementation. Reasonable politicians don't have that luxury.

It's their responsibility to try to do what should be done to protect America, and it is not clear that no effort can succeed. My other point was that purely defensive measures can never work entirely and that to succeed, we must attack the enemy now where they live.
edgarblythe

Sat 30 Aug, 2014 09:10 am
@revelette2,
Saw this this morning:
Obama Criticized For Not Revealing Strategy To ISIS
Frank Apisa

Sat 30 Aug, 2014 09:26 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
It's their responsibility to try to do what should be done to protect America, and it is not clear that no effort can succeed.

I suspect they (both sides of the political fence) are doing everything they can to protect America...and a lot more than many people are willing to give them credit for doing.

And they are meeting all sorts of obstacles from people interested in preserving "personal privacy"...who criticize way too many efforts they make in the direction you are suggesting, Brandon.

If you think you can do more...or if anyone else thinks they can do more or better...run for office and get it done.

Quote:
My other point was that purely defensive measures can never work entirely and that to succeed, we must attack the enemy now where they live.

Yeah...but that is the kind of thinking that can lead to endless war...and our nation seems to be tired of "endless war."

"We must attack the enemy now where they live" is a powerful slogan (a bit long for a bumper sticker)...but I seriously doubt you will see that as a campaign slogan on either side of the political fence.
Frank Apisa

Sat 30 Aug, 2014 09:27 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Saw this this morning:
Obama Criticized For Not Revealing Strategy To ISIS

Ya gotta wonder...don'tcha?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Sat 30 Aug, 2014 09:38 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
It's their responsibility to try to do what should be done to protect America, and it is not clear that no effort can succeed.

I suspect they (both sides of the political fence) are doing everything they can to protect America...and a lot more than many people are willing to give them credit for doing.

And they are meeting all sorts of obstacles from people interested in preserving "personal privacy"...who criticize way too many efforts they make in the direction you are suggesting, Brandon.

If you think you can do more...or if anyone else thinks they can do more or better...run for office and get it done.

I am not saying that they are not acting, I am saying that we are in real danger, that more can be done, and that when they assume their jobs, they become responsible to try to do what needs to be done. I am not saying anything whatever about whether I could do better.

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
My other point was that purely defensive measures can never work entirely and that to succeed, we must attack the enemy now where they live.

Yeah...but that is the kind of thinking that can lead to endless war...and our nation seems to be tired of "endless war."

"We must attack the enemy now where they live" is a powerful slogan (a bit long for a bumper sticker)...but I seriously doubt you will see that as a campaign slogan on either side of the political fence.

Purely defensive measures will not succeed. We will still be vulnerable to devastating attacks withing our country. If we don't want such tragedies to happen, then we must include attack as part of our strategy. Far better to stop them now where they live than to wait for large attacks on our soil, such as bombings of busy public places.