Best 40ish inch LCD TV

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 05:46 pm
need some schoolin on 39"/40"/42" LCD TV's

don't want a smart TV and I don't want plasma right now

I do want the best picture quality and refresh rates (white to black) available with LCD

I'm looking for something that will perform best when viewing blueray movies

I don't like the motion blur that you see when viewing busy or fast moving images, I guess action movies and or car chase scenes would be an example.

I'm looking to spend about $700/$800 Canadian.

thnx for any help or advice on my purchase! listening to a sales person when buying a TV is, umm... "a big dumb bag full of stupid" lol
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,223 • Replies: 5
No top replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 07:30 pm
@RushPoint,
RushPoint wrote:
don't want a smart TV and I don't want plasma right now

Plasmas are on the verge of extinction, because passive 3-D as rendered by 4K LCD is far superior to plasma's active 3-D.

I think that every worthwhile TV right now is also a smart TV, so you might not be able to avoid that.

RushPoint wrote:
I do want the best picture quality and refresh rates (white to black) available with LCD
I'm looking for something that will perform best when viewing blueray movies
I don't like the motion blur that you see when viewing busy or fast moving images, I guess action movies and or car chase scenes would be an example.
I'm looking to spend about $700/$800 Canadian.

Here is CNET's list of current TV lines with the best picture quality:

http://www.cnet.com/topics/tvs/best-tvs/picture-quality/

The prices on the list are potentially misleading, because they are only for one popular size, not for the whole range of sizes that the TVs are offered in.

#1 - 3 on the list (as of when I am making this post) are only available in sizes over 50 inches, so I presume they are out of the running.

#4 is available in a 46 inch size. That is only slightly bigger than your size range. But the price of the 46 inch model is significantly higher than your price range, so I presume it also is out of the running.

The two lines by Vizio are the only ones that have models that fall in your size range. In both cases, the models in your size range are also in your price range.

#5, the Vizio M2i-B series, is available in a 42 inch size that is within your price range:
http://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-m422i-b1/

And #6, the Vizio E0i-B series, has 39, 40, and 42 inch models that are all within your price range:
http://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-e400i-b2/

Keep in mind though that none of the Vizios have 3-D capability. About a year ago Vizio decided to discontinue 3-D capability in all of their TVs.

RushPoint wrote:
listening to a sales person when buying a TV is, umm... "a big dumb bag full of stupid" lol

Yes.

EDIT: Important note: The Vizio TVs are only recommended in the models that include local dimming (as explained in the articles). The model numbers are listed in the articles.
RushPoint

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 09:54 pm
@oralloy,
well, I cant stand the passive 3-D tech, I find it quite hard to watch and it doesn't really seem all that 3-D too me, more like 2 images over top of one another but slightly out of alignment, never really understood the big hype

and it would seem that every model also boasts an identical model but with smart tech for an extra 100 bukz.

all I am looking for is simple straight forward LCD TV around 40" with higher performing specs than average, something that would work good with full HD or blue ray video quality, it would seem that every manufacturer has a different way to promote these specs, different acronyms or words/names that identify the bottom line details, some will promote latencies or refresh rates in m/s from grey to grey as apposed to black to white, others call it something completely different. this is obviously meant to show a lower number in effort to make it look like a better performing model! kind of like a Canadian car manufacturer commercial that boasts 44Km to the gallon, I mean really? obviously its the number "44" that people see and it may serve to trick some people to believe its better than 16Km to the litre.

I just want to find the best bang for my buck when it comes to video quality, surly someone out there has done the research and found the better make and model?
oralloy

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 10:50 pm
@RushPoint,
RushPoint wrote:
I just want to find the best bang for my buck when it comes to video quality, surly someone out there has done the research and found the better make and model?

Vizio M422i-B1 (42 inch)
http://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-m422i-b1/
0 Replies

sofiakleeman

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 07:36 am
Well this is a good topic. I really like this. I want to buy this.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 08:11 am
@sofiakleeman,
Thank you for your input, your royal botness.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Best 40ish inch LCD TV
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 10:24:38