Feeling you are all great and superior makes you so

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 01:02 pm
It is a scientific fact that who you are is your brain and all of your thoughts and emotions. Therefore, if you have the thoughts and feelings that you are all great, special, and superior, then it is a scientific fact that this makes you all great, special, and superior. But when it comes to something that can be scientifically proven false such as you thinking that you are some alien from another planet, then that would obviously be false. But when it comes to things such as personal opinions about yourself and such, then it would be a scientific fact that whatever personal opinion you have about yourself that cannot be scientifically proven false, then that personal opinion holds true for you and makes you that person.

roger

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 01:23 pm
@MozartLink,
I just love these threads about scientific facts that cannot be scientifically proven false.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 01:23 pm
@MozartLink,
MozartLink wrote:

It is a scientific fact that who you are is your brain and all of your thoughts and emotions. Therefore, if you have the thoughts and feelings that you are all great, special, and superior, then it is a scientific fact that this makes you all great, special, and superior. But when it comes to something that can be scientifically proven false such as you thinking that you are some alien from another planet, then that would obviously be false. But when it comes to things such as personal opinions about yourself and such, then it would be a scientific fact that whatever personal opinion you have about yourself that cannot be scientifically proven false, then that personal opinion holds true for you and makes you that person.

C'mon!
0 Replies

MozartLink

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 01:26 pm
@roger,
Aside from there being no outside scientific evidence to back up what I'm saying, you must have some reason to not believe what I'm saying. Therefore, what is that reason?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 02:26 pm
@MozartLink,
I'm with roger; I love these threads about 'scientific facts' that are really fiction!

In order to ask questions about your thesis, it must first make sense.

Feelings are irrational. You can start from that fact.
roger

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 02:30 pm
@MozartLink,
MozartLink wrote:

Aside from there being no outside scientific evidence to back up what I'm saying, you must have some reason to not believe what I'm saying.

That is totally priceless!
0 Replies

MozartLink

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 02:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Even if you were someone who did bad deeds, based on my reasonings, you would still be all great and special if you think you are. I know that I am just talking here with no scientific evidence to back any of it up (aside from the scientific fact that who you are as a person is your brain and that I have based all my arguments on that scientific fact alone), but we can still at least argue about this anyway even without such evidence.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 03:13 pm
If that was the case Hawkeye would be a genius, instead of, you know, Hawkeye.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 03:23 pm
@MozartLink,
MozartLink wrote:

Even if you were someone who did bad deeds, based on my reasonings, you would still be all great and special if you think you are. I know that I am just talking here with no scientific evidence to back any of it up (aside from the scientific fact that who you are as a person is your brain and that I have based all my arguments on that scientific fact alone), but we can still at least argue about this anyway even without such evidence.

Start by giving the basis for this opening statement of yours:

Quote:
It is a scientific fact that who you are is your brain and all of your thoughts and emotions.

And if you can't, could you tell us who made that up for you...or if you made it up yourself?
0 Replies

PhilipOSopher

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 03:30 pm
@MozartLink,
Hang on, are we not going on the shaky assumption here that we can both know and securely deploy what is provable at least empirically (I assumed that this is what you mean, ML, by 'scientifically'?)? If this is the case, then if our assumption here is false or at least highly disputable then we can't really reason that without scientific proof of an opinion as false we gain a subjective truth as part of our identity - because surely we don't have a workable criterion of proof with which to validate the final conclusion you've reached?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 03:40 pm
@MozartLink,
MozartLink wrote:
the scientific fact that who you are as a person is your brain

really?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 03:44 pm
@ehBeth,
ML knows how to get deeper and deeper into his own _______. Mr. Green Shocked Shocked
0 Replies

MozartLink

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 03:56 pm
@ehBeth,
That would be correct because if you are an atheist and a scientist, you would know that there is no such thing as a soul--it is just your brain that makes you a living person.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 07:10 pm
Quote:
MozartLink said: Therefore, if you have the thoughts and feelings that you are all great, special, and superior, then it is a scientific fact that this makes you all great, special, and superior.

That's fine if you're good at whatever it is, but if you're krap at it, you're still krap!
For example I'm a hotshot at PC wargaming and have won trophies and stuff for it, so I KNOW I'm superior than most people at it!
But I'm hopeless at some other things, so no way will I ever be superior than anybody else at them.
In other words, if we talk the talk by saying how good we are, we better make damn sure we can walk the walk to PROVE it..Smile
0 Replies