Does "which" always define the word it directly follows?

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 03:29 am
"I love universities in the United States which are very beautiful."
So does the "which" in the sentence define universities or the United States? If it defines the universities and you think this sentence is correct then it's OK. But if it defines the United States, please tell me how can I modify the sentence and make the "which" defines universities. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,078 • Replies: 7
No top replies

McTag

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 07:24 am
@zhuyuxiong,

It refers to the universities, but can be misconstrued.

"I love universities in the United States which are very beautiful" could also mean I love only those: I don't love the universities in the USA which are not beautiful.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 10:55 am
@zhuyuxiong,
It's correct since "universities" is the subject noun and "United States" is the pronoun.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 11:34 am
@zhuyuxiong,
It's a perfectly understandable sentence but the grammatical purist could say that the modifier is misplaced in that it doesn't follow its referent directly. So it might be better to say "I love United States universities, which are very beautiful." (Although, as has already been pointed out, there's the danger of misunderstanding this to mean that there are some universities which are not beautiful and which you do not love.)
contrex

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 12:57 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
... "I love United States universities, which are very beautiful." ... there's the danger of misunderstanding this to mean that there are some universities which are not beautiful and which you do not love.

The comma should prevent that. There probably are some ugly American universities however.
0 Replies

zhuyuxiong

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 01:10 am
Now I see. Thank you all for your help. ^ ^
0 Replies

Doubtful

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 10:31 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
I love United States universities, which are very beautiful." (Although, as has already been pointed out, there's the danger of misunderstanding this to mean that there are some universities which are not beautiful and which you do not love.)

I understand that "which" implies that all USA universities are very beautiful. If you want to restrict to loving only the universities that are beautiful, you have to use "that":

I love US universities that are beautiful.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 11:47 am
@Doubtful,
Quote:
I love United States universities, which are very beautiful.
and
Quote:
I love US universities that are beautiful.

They both imply selectivity to the individual, and are grammatically proper. IMHO
0 Replies