Quote:
Getting pretty intense over there

3 0r 4 days ago? Your point?
oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 11:06 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
Getting pretty intense over there. Shocked

I hope those people who loot and/or burn stores are prosecuted. It must be terrible to be a store owner have that done to you.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 11:55 pm
Quote:
Not All Ferguson Grand Jury Documents Released – Surprise!! The Media Just Found Out Dorian’s Testimony is Mysteriously Missing…

Quote:
If the 8/13 Dorian Johnson interview was EVER released the public might ask why the Feds let the case continue.

The DOJ/FBI were essentially covering for the politicians decision to let the grand jury play out just to placate the various parties who held interest, AND to further the agenda of the politicians (see Holder/Obama August 18th ↓).

All about the narrative and control for a corrupt administration.
http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2014/12/08/not-all-ferguson-grand-jury-documents-released-surprise-the-media-just-found-out-dorians-testimony-is-mysteriously-missing/
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 12:10 am
Does the federal government as described in todays CIA report have any standing to complain to Missouri or ferguson about Officer Wilson?
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 03:37 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
Getting pretty intense over there

I made it. "It's getting pretty tense over there." That's it. An observation to which I added Shocked because I found it shocking.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 03:39 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

FBM wrote:

I hope those people who loot and/or burn stores are prosecuted. It must be terrible to be a store owner have that done to you.

Indeed. I remember video of the Koreans defending their shops back during the LA riots. They had the good sense to arm themselves against the mob. At least the ones I saw on video did.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 05:29 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:

Check out a mirror, the point forms the top of your head.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 05:33 am

Civilian oversight approved for Los Angeles Sheriff's Department

By Alex Dobuzinskis

LOS ANGELES Tue Dec 9, 2014 11:47pm EST

(Reuters) - A plan to create a civilian oversight panel for the troubled Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department was approved on Tuesday, as county leaders moved to avert problems of the kind that triggered unrest in Ferguson, Missouri.

The measure is a bid to tackle thorny issues faced by the sheriff's department, such as allegations of excessive force and poor management of its jail system, the nation's largest.

The county Board of Supervisors voted 3-2 to create the panel, which had been debated for two years and gained the support of newly elected Sheriff Jim McDonnell.

McDonnell joins a working group appointed by the board to thrash out details of the commission's mission, structure and ties with the sheriff and the department's inspector general, the office of Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas said in a statement.

Debate has grown amid nationwide protests over policing practices.

Last week, a New York grand jury declined to indict an officer in the chokehold death of an unarmed black man, soon after a decision by another grand jury last month against charging a police officer in the shooting death of a black teenager in the St. Louis suburb of Ferguson.

The name "Ferguson" has come to represent the sort of problems Los Angeles county must avoid, Ridley-Thomas said.

"The sheriff's department has long required a level of scrutiny that has been missing," he added. "The time has come."

The sheriff's department is edging closer to a federal consent decree for court oversight of its jail system, after the U.S. Department of Justice found the treatment of mentally ill inmates violated their constitutional rights.

A separate federal probe into prisoner abuse and other misconduct in the jail system led to the conviction of several current and former sheriff's deputies for trying to block the investigation.

Some critics of such a commission question if it will have enough power.

Creating the panel would be "a step backwards" from an existing plan for an inspector general to be a watchdog of the sheriff's department, Supervisor Michael Antonovich, who voted against the measure, said, according to the Los Angeles Times.

(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis; Editing by Curtis Skinner and Clarence Fernandez)
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 05:40 am
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 06:24 am
Here's the Pentagon's Report of Michael Brown's Autopsy
The DOD's medical examiner found eight gunshot wounds on Brown.

—By AJ Vicens and Jaeah Lee
| Mon Dec. 8, 2014 7:36 PM EST

After Michael Brown was shot and killed by Officer Darren Wilson on August 9, his body was inspected three separate times: Once by the St. Louis County Office of the Medical Examiner; once, at the request of Brown's family, by outside expert Dr. Michael Baden; and one more time by the Department of Defense's Armed Forces Medical Examiner System, at the request of the US Department of Justice. The DOD's report, released by the St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney's Office on December 8, is below:

See document :http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/12/heres-dods-report-michael-browns-autopsy
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 07:39 am

Ferguson Cop Darren Wilson Is Just the Latest to Go Unprosecuted for a Fatal Shooting
Since 2004, St. Louis County police officers have killed people in at least 14 cases. Few faced grand juries, and none was charged.

—By Jaeah Lee
| Mon Nov. 24, 2014 9:27 PM EST

After weeks of rising tension in Ferguson and the broader St. Louis region, the St. Louis County grand jury reviewing the death of Michael Brown has decided not to indict Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson, who shot and killed Brown on August 9. Reported leaks during the grand jury proceedings suggested there would be no indictment—and that outcome fits a long-standing pattern. Few police officers who shoot and kill citizens in St. Louis have been investigated by a grand jury, let alone charged by one, according to data from city and county prosecutors.

Between 2004 and 2014, there have been 14 fatal officer-involved shootings committed by St. Louis County PD officers alone, according to police data collected by David Klinger, a criminologist at the University of Missouri-St. Louis. That does not include fatal shootings by Ferguson police or by officers from various other law enforcement agencies within the county. Many officer-involved fatalities likely were not subject to grand jury investigations because they were deemed justified by police internal affairs or the local prosecutor's office, Klinger says. Since 2000, only four cases in all of St. Louis County, including Wilson's, have been investigated by a grand jury, according to a spokesperson for St. Louis County prosecutor Robert McCulloch's office. McCulloch's office declined to provide details to Mother Jones on the three other cases, which it says are closed.

In September, Heather Cole of Missouri Lawyers Weekly used news reports to identify five grand jury investigations of officer-involved fatalities prior to Wilson's that took place during McCulloch's tenure, which began in 1991. As with Wilson's case, none led to an indictment:
Missouri Lawyers Weekly

McCulloch's record and family ties to the police force sparked controversy in the wake of Brown's death.

Statistics from the City of St. Louis paint a similar picture: A total of 39 people were fatally shot by police officers between 2003 and 2012; according to the St. Louis Circuit Attorney's office, only one police officer has been indicted in such a case since 2000, and that officer was acquitted.

Roger Goldman, an expert on criminal procedure and constitutional law at the Saint Louis University School of Law, says that a long-standing Missouri statute gives police officers wide latitude to shoot to kill. The law states they are justified in doing so if they "reasonably believe" their target "has committed or attempted to commit a felony" and deadly force is "immediately necessary to effect the arrest." According to Goldman, the existence of this law—despite a 1985 Supreme Court ruling suggesting it may be unconstitutional—is one reason why "it's particularly difficult to get grand juries to indict or prosecutors to even take the case to the grand jury in the first place."

But with a case like Wilson's, weeks of high-profile public protests likely pressured the prosecutor's office to present a case to a grand jury, says Delores Jones-Brown, a law professor at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice. "This way the prosecutor cannot be accused of having made a unilateral biased decision." Still, the prosecutor has a lot of sway in how a case is presented to the grand jury, she noted.

Prior to the decision in Wilson's case, McCulloch said he would seek to release transcripts and audio from the grand jury investigation if it resulted in no indictment for Wilson. The documents have since been released.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 07:44 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

FBM wrote:

I agree with this, Oralloy. Looting and burning should play no part in the rightful protests that should be happening.

Anyone who is looting or burning definitely ought to be prosecuted.

But there are other things going on that ought to be prosecuted also.
oralloy

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 08:00 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Last I heard there was no clear cut case against Darren Wilson given all the conflicting witnesses.

I heard that there might be a push for body cameras for cops though. That might make future cases much more clearer when it comes to knowing just what happened.

I wonder if those cameras record audio as well? That might also be helpful information when it comes to figuring out what happened after the fact.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 08:09 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Last I heard there was no clear cut case against Darren Wilson given all the conflicting witnesses.

I heard that there might be a push for body cameras for cops though. That might make future cases much more clearer when it comes to knowing just what happened.

I wonder if those cameras record audio as well? That might also be helpful information when it comes to figuring out what happened after the fact.

I think more body cameras with audio would be a HUGE help in these kinds of instances, Oralloy.

As an aside...this is one of the reasons I think that what is perceived as "the "erosion of personal privacy" is more likely to be a good thing than a bad thing.

Yes, more cameras and recorders will mean less personal privacy...and for that, I say, "Fine with me...something I consider a net positive rather than net negative."
revelette2

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 08:24 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I really don't want to debate this again, but I just fail to see any excuse for all those shots. I also wish there was a real trial rather than a fake trial through a grand jury process.

link to your post

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 10:28 am
@revelette2,
The whole thing just stinks, top to bottom. A real trial might have at least cleared the rumor from fact.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 10:28 am
http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ucomics.com/lc141210.gif
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 10:31 am
@revelette2,
Quote:
but I just fail to see any excuse for all those shots. I also wish there was a real trial rather than a fake trial through a grand jury process.

Once more you keep shooting until the threat is over IE brown stop charging the officer no matter how many rounds it takes. A simple concept that for some very strange reason seems beyond you.

Next unless officer Wilson was found guilty you and people like you would not be happy no matter who many levels of the criminal justice system was involved.

A full and complete jury trial of Mr. Zimmerman that resulted in an not guilty verdict did not matter to people like you either.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 02:39 pm
Tough to argue with him when he can write such intelligent, well-reasoned posts, Revelette! (Please note the sarcasm!)
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 05:31 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
I think more body cameras with audio would be a HUGE help in these kinds of instances, Oralloy.

As an aside...this is one of the reasons I think that what is perceived as "the "erosion of personal privacy" is more likely to be a good thing than a bad thing.

Yes, more cameras and recorders will mean less personal privacy...and for that, I say, "Fine with me...something I consider a net positive rather than net negative."

The audio thing was my own idea. I don't know if the actual camera proposal will include audio.

But it strikes me that audio would help. For instance, it would prove whether a police officer was shouting orders (and what manner of orders) before the shooting started. And it would prove whether the other guy responded with "Don't shoot I surrender!" or "You will never take me alive!"
0 Replies