The Day Ferguson Cops Were Caught in a Bloody Lie

oralloy

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2015 09:20 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
No, it doesn't. It simply reports crime differently.

I'm sure there are some differences in the way crime is reported, but to use that as an excuse to dodge the fact that the UK's violent crime rate is far higher than that of the US, is just plain silly.

And the same silly excuse can be used to avoid any other international comparison -- for instance, attempts to compare Australian crime rates with those of the US. I'm sure there are differences between the ways that Australia and the US report their crime rates.
parados

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2015 09:36 am
@oralloy,
The UK crime rate is not higher. Post your stats proving it and then we can examine the methods for those stats to see who is making things up here.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2015 02:28 pm
@parados,
Whatever you do, don't hold your breath waiting for any documentation from oralloy.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2015 02:43 pm
Feds find racial bias against black youths in St. Louis County family court
Source: RawStory/ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

July 31, 2015
Christine Byers
St. Louis Post-Dispatch

ST. LOUIS COUNTY, Mo. — The St. Louis County Family Court deprives juveniles of constitutional rights, is rife with conflicts of interest and treats black youths more harshly than whites, according to accusations made public Friday by the Department of Justice.

The agency will seek a mutual agreement to resolve the violations, but otherwise could litigate. The action is similar — but unrelated — to a different Justice Department report issued in March that was highly critical of police and municipal court practices in Ferguson.

In this case, the Civil Rights Division complains that juveniles do not get adequate legal representation, are held without proper determination of probable cause and may be allowed to plead guilty without clearly grasping the consequences.

The 60-page federal report concludes that youths cannot have their cases handled informally — the desirable course for them — unless they confess wrongdoing, which may "coerce" them into admitting something they did not do.

-snip-

Read more: http://www.rawstory.com/2015/08/feds-find-racial-bias-against-black-youths-in-st-louis-county-family-court/
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 06:19 am
http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoons/PettJ/2015/PettJ20150801A_low.jpg

http://assets.amuniversal.com/dbab1de019f00133f9b4005056a9545d.jpg

0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
oralloy

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 09:37 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
I'll try a brief Google search and see if I can dredge up the old thread. No promises though.

My first Google search showed that this isn't the first time that people have asked me to remember the old links:
http://able2know.org/topic/222727-2

It's amusing the hysteria that can ensue when I recall facts that people find inconvenient.

I almost gave up because it wasn't turning up in my searches and I wanted to move on to something interesting (I don't find drawn out searches for 10-year-old posts all that interesting).

However, I tried one last search, and there it was right at the top of the search results. Go figure. I guess having the right keywords really does matter.

Here is the post where I linked the crime rates for the US and the UK:
http://able2know.org/topic/35815-3#post-968391

Note#1: I did not try the links to see if they still work.

Note#2: If you think you will want to reference my old post from 2004 in the future, it might be best to bookmark it. As you may have noticed, I'm not terribly inclined to spend a lot of time searching for 10-year-old posts.
parados

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 09:55 am
@oralloy,
I see, you can't back up your statement. Google will also show you that UK's definition of violent crime is different from the US definition.
parados

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 09:57 am
@oralloy,
You are relying on 15 year old numbers to compare crime rates between the US and and the UK? I see you decide something is true and then damn the facts and damn the passage of time.

The links don't work by the way.
oralloy

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 10:51 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
You are relying on 15 year old numbers to compare crime rates between the US and and the UK?

2004 was the last time that I was interested enough to go look up official numbers for both countries.

parados wrote:
I see you decide something is true and then damn the facts

What facts am I supposedly wrong about?

parados wrote:
and damn the passage of time.

Time keeps relentlessly pushing forward. It's just the nature of things.
oralloy

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 10:51 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
I see, you can't back up your statement.

I can always back up my statements.

I may not always be inclined to spend days combing through 10-year-old threads looking for old posts though.

parados wrote:
Google will also show you that UK's definition of violent crime is different from the US definition.

I'm not surprised to hear that. I'm not entirely sure of the relevance however.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 11:12 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
It's amusing the hysteria that can ensue when I recall facts that people find inconvenient.

.... riiigggght, f-a-c-t-s ...... and plural, yet!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 11:14 am
@parados,
Quote:
The links don't work by the way.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 11:37 am
LA Times fires Ted Rall for criticizing LAPD after saying he lied about them; turns out LAPD lied

Ted Rall-LAPD Scandal: Rall Vindicated; LAPD, LA Times Under Fire

<snip>

In the column Rall recounted his own 2001 arrest for jaywalking on LA’s Melrose Avenue. Rall wrote that the arresting officer shoved him, cuffed him and tossed his driver’s license into the gutter, as a crowd of protesting onlookers gathered around.

After the column was published, the pressure on the columnist began. The LAPD approached the LA Times complaining about the column. They accused the columnist of being a liar. The LAPD furnished the Times with a 14-year-old tape of the incident. The LAPD claimed the tape proved Rall was lying about the stop, the officer’s poor treatment of him, even the crowd that protested.

The LAPD maintained the officer remained polite and professional throughout the incident and that Rall was never mistreated and that nobody rushed to his defense.

LA Times-editor-Nick-Goldberg-believed-the-cops-over-rall-in-the-ted-rall-lapd-la-times-scandalThe audio, which was of poor quality and hard to hear clearly, did include some polite conversation. But there was, on this tape, only 20 seconds of talk and fully 6 minutes of static and unintelligible noise.

But the editors of the LA Times agreed with the LAPD and accepted this flimsy evidence on face value. The Times fired its columnist. Then the Times went a step further and went public with its firing, questioning Rall’s integrity in a formal published note for all to read, and severing all ties with him.

<snip>

It took only three days for Rall to get the tape examined and discover it had been altered. Any journalist could have found an audio engineer and conducted such basic fact-checking.

Before making such a serious accusation against a journalist, neither the LAPD nor the LAT took the time to examine the evidence with thorough science.

The enhanced tape, released by Rall and aNewDomain Friday, provides a more complete picture of what happened that day on Melrose Avenue. Listen here.

A little over three minutes in, an onlooker can clearly be heard loudly asking Officer Durr to “take off the handcuffs” — twice.

<snip>

http://anewdomain.net/2015/08/01/ted-rall-lapd-la-firing-scandal-rall-vindicated-lapd-under-fire-exclusive/
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 08:46 pm
LA Times fires Ted Rall for criticizing LAPD after saying he lied about them; turns out LAPD lied
Ted Rall-LAPD Scandal: Rall Vindicated; LAPD, LA Times Under Fire

<snip>

In the column Rall recounted his own 2001 arrest for jaywalking on LA’s Melrose Avenue. Rall wrote that the arresting officer shoved him, cuffed him and tossed his driver’s license into the gutter, as a crowd of protesting onlookers gathered around.

After the column was published, the pressure on the columnist began. The LAPD approached the LA Times complaining about the column. They accused the columnist of being a liar. The LAPD furnished the Times with a 14-year-old tape of the incident. The LAPD claimed the tape proved Rall was lying about the stop, the officer’s poor treatment of him, even the crowd that protested.

The LAPD maintained the officer remained polite and professional throughout the incident and that Rall was never mistreated and that nobody rushed to his defense.

LA Times-editor-Nick-Goldberg-believed-the-cops-over-rall-in-the-ted-rall-lapd-la-times-scandalThe audio, which was of poor quality and hard to hear clearly, did include some polite conversation. But there was, on this tape, only 20 seconds of talk and fully 6 minutes of static and unintelligible noise.

But the editors of the LA Times agreed with the LAPD and accepted this flimsy evidence on face value. The Times fired its columnist. Then the Times went a step further and went public with its firing, questioning Rall’s integrity in a formal published note for all to read, and severing all ties with him.

<snip>

It took only three days for Rall to get the tape examined and discover it had been altered. Any journalist could have found an audio engineer and conducted such basic fact-checking.

Before making such a serious accusation against a journalist, neither the LAPD nor the LAT took the time to examine the evidence with thorough science.

The enhanced tape, released by Rall and aNewDomain Friday, provides a more complete picture of what happened that day on Melrose Avenue. Listen here.

A little over three minutes in, an onlooker can clearly be heard loudly asking Officer Durr to “take off the handcuffs” — twice.

<snip>

http://anewdomain.net/2015/08/01/ted-rall-lapd-la-firing-scandal-rall-vindicated-lapd-under-fire-exclusive/
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 09:30 pm

SC Cop Killed Teen With Two Shots To the Back During Weed Bust — And Didn’t Even Report It: Attorney
Not the way to handle a fatal shooting.
By Travis Gettys / Raw Story
August 1, 2015

Print
Comments

Police shot and killed a South Carolina man during an undercover marijuana sting — and his family’s attorney said evidence shows the 19-year-old was shot twice in the back from near-point blank range.

Zachary Hammond was shot to death Sunday night in a Hardee’s parking lot, where an undercover officer had arranged a drug buy to lure 23-year-old Tori Morton into an arrest, reported Greenville Online.

The Seneca police officer approached the car, which was driven by Hammond, with his weapon drawn — which police said was common practice during drug arrests.

A police report shows the officer, whose name was not released, executed a search warrant and found a bag of pot in the car.

Media reports have indicated the marijuana was found after the shooting, but an attorney hired by Hammond’s parents said he has not been able to confirm whether that was true.

The police chief, John Covington, said the officer felt threatened because Hammond drove right at him and fired his gun into the open driver’s side window, killing him.

Covington said the officer may have pushed away from the moving car before shooting, and he denied the shots were fired from behind.

The report makes no mention of the shooting, but the police chief said the officer would file a statement about it at some point.

Eric Bland, an attorney for Hammond’s said the autopsy showed the teen was shot in the back and the car was not moving.

The autopsy revealed the first shot entered Hammond’s left rear shoulder, said Bland, and the second one entered five inches away at a downward angle into his side from behind — cutting through the man’s heart and lungs before exiting his lower right side.

“The shots were so close in proximity to each other that it would be physically impossible unless the car was stopped and the officer came up very close to an open window,” Bland said. “Picture a car going 20 miles an hour and I’m fortunate enough to get a shot off, and I hit you — there’s no way I can get the second shot if the car’s going 20 miles an hour.”

The Oconee County coroner, Karl Addis, issued a statement Tuesday that shows Hammond died from a gunshot wound to the upper torso but does not specify whether the bullet was fired from the front or back.

The police chief dismissed Bland’s description of the autopsy findings and said the case appeared headed toward a lawsuit.

“The attorney wasn’t there, either,” Covington said. “He’s got to put his spin on things. His clients are the parents and they’re grieving, I understand that. My heart goes out to them.”

The officer has been placed on administrative leave during an investigation by the State Law Enforcement Division.

Morton, who was eating ice cream when the officer approached and was not injured in the incident, was arrested for possession of drug paraphernalia and faces a possible $500 fine.

Bland has requested the state Attorney General to call for a statewide grand jury investigation of the shooting.

“This is a 19-year-old kid without a weapon in his car, clearly in the Hardee’s parking lot on a date, and within five minutes he has two shots that appear to be in his back and his side, from an officer shooting him from the back — and he’s dead and this family needs answers,” the attorney said.

Watch a video report posted online by WHNS-TV here.

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 11:42 pm
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11817256_905756762850712_6141132890918081929_n.jpg?oh=a5cc8dbd67abef8e6caab1f6a1e53c13&oe=563A747A
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 11:46 pm
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/11796330_10152975997861332_2332257615851420191_n.jpg?oh=a1b7713fccc09cfa5bb75805d70a1f7e&oe=5645873A
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2015 04:20 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Time keeps relentlessly pushing forward. It's just the nature of things.

Time does move forward and 15 year old data is kind of silly to use in a claim about which country has a higher crime rate. Can I use 300 year old data to disprove your claim?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2015 05:57 pm
Prosecutor: Police officers unlawfully opened fire in death
Source: Associated Press

Prosecutor: Police officers unlawfully opened fire in death
Russell Contreras, Associated Press
2:16 pm, Monday, August 3, 2015

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — A "paramilitary response" by police in New Mexico unnecessarily escalated an encounter last year that ended when two officers unlawfully opened fire and killed a homeless man despite signs that he wanted to surrender, a special prosecutor said Monday.

The two Albuquerque officers charged with murder in the death of James Boyd came to the scene with the intent of attacking him, Special Prosecutor Randi McGinn said at a preliminary hearing to decide if the two officers should stand trial.

"What was the crime that prompted this paramilitary response? It was not a terrorist act. It was illegal camping," McGinn said during opening statements at the hearing for Officer Dominique Perez and former Detective Keith Sandy.

In their opening statements, defense attorneys said their clients did nothing wrong and both felt the lives of their fellow officers were in danger.

Read more: http://www.chron.com/news/crime/article/Hearing-set-for-Albuquerque-officers-facing-6421093.php
0 Replies