The Day Ferguson Cops Were Caught in a Bloody Lie

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 11:58 am
In my opinion, it is a totally different approach [due to history] to weapons and the use of weapons in the USA than e.g. in the UK or Germany.

Police here (in my state and most others) get taught during their three years of training/study when and how to use weapons. And why not.
I can't imagine that a 17-year old girl would be shot dead inside a police station with three policeman around her.

But having seen by now various videos, I'm happy that I didn't got shot after I opened the car's door when I was stopped for purportedly driving above the speed limit: the Utah highway policeman only pointed with his revolver at.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 12:47 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Who's us? It was a conversation between Parados and myself, you interjected and turned it personal. You will have to point out the personal attack because I'm calling BS and you a liar.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 06:24 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
NRA has a hold on half or a little over a half of our politicians, hope springs eternal and someday, that hold will loosen up or disappear altogether. But I hear you, I get sick of it too.

The NRA protects our freedom and civil rights. America would be destroyed if not for the NRA.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 07:46 pm
I watch with amusement the discussion of capital punishment between the bleeding heart libs in this thread.

The one salient point that is overlooked in this discourse is the subject of recidivism...in that regard capital punishment works just fine.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 11:43 pm
@izzythepush,
What would you suggest? That we all get guns and attack congress cause thats the reason we dont have reasonable laws controlling the ownership of guns. Money from the NRA and people like the Koch brothers and their ilk. Vote the bastards out, I've been trying for 20 years but I seem to be a minority. If you have a resolution for our gun problem I would love to hear it, but one that works, not more unhelpful bs.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 11:47 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:
The one salient point that is overlooked in this discourse is the subject of recidivism...in that regard capital punishment works just fine.
Should be introduced for every crime, isn't it?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 04:06 am
@RABEL222,
We did it alright, like Universal Health Care it's a question of will. You can only lie consistently to people if they want to be lied to.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 06:31 am
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 06:32 am
NYC to pay $5M to kin of man killed in 'Mafia cops' case
Source: Associated Press

NYC to pay $5M to kin of man killed in 'Mafia cops' case
Published: Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 3:30 a.m.
Last Modified: Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 1:25 a.m.

NEW YORK (AP) — Nicholas Guido was showing off his new car outside his mother's home on Christmas Day 1986 when he was gunned down because he'd been mistaken for a mobster with the same name. The bad information, prosecutors said, came from two decorated police detectives who would later be convicted of moonlighting as hit men for the mob.

Twenty-nine years later, the city has reached a $5 million settlement with Guido's family in part of the fallout from one of the most stunning police corruption cases in New York history.

"This tragic matter involves the murder of an innocent man. After evaluating all the facts, it was determined that settling the case was in the city's best interest," the Law Department said in a statement. The family's lawyer didn't immediately return a call Friday night seeking comment.

Guido's mother, Pauline Pipitone, was washing dishes after Christmas dinner when gunfire erupted outside her Brooklyn home.

Read more: http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20150131/APA/301319930
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 06:34 am
New York City settles with family of slain black teen for $3.9 million
Source: Reuters

New York City has settled with the family of an unarmed black teen fatally shot by police in 2012, agreeing to pay $3.9 million, officials said on Friday.

Ramarley Graham, 18, was shot dead on Feb. 2, 2012 inside the bathroom of his Bronx apartment after being followed by police officers who said they believed he was carrying a gun.

"This was a tragic case," New York City Law Department spokesman Nicholas Paolucci said in an email.

"After evaluating all the facts, and consulting with key stakeholders such as the NYPD, it was determined that settling the matter was in the best interest of the city," he added.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/31/us-usa-new-york-lawsuit-idUSKBN0L404V20150131
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 07:12 am
@izzythepush,
Our police aren't armed. Our police are over armed and outfitted with combat gear. They look like SS.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 07:25 am

This Black Man Was Shot to Death by the Cops After Calling Police for Help

Family members are heartbroken that Kevin Davis died alone, "with the identity of a criminal."
By Jim Chambers / AlterNet
January 27, 2015

http://www.alternet.org/files/story_images/kevin_davis_1.jpg

Kevin Davis and his girlfriend, April Edwards, lived on the outskirts of Decatur, GA, a predominantlyblack community just outside Atlanta. Davis, 44, was a longtime employee at Sawicki’s, a sandwich shop located in the more affluent downtown area of Decatur, where Edwards also worked. By all accounts, he was kind-hearted, generous, never late, and a visible contributor to his relatively small community of family, friends and colleagues. It was this very kindness which prompted him to invite Terrance Hilyard, 47, a co-worker in a rough spell, to stay with him and Edwards at their one-bedroom apartment.

Kevin Davis (right) with family.

On Dec. 29, 2014, Hilyard and April Edwards got into an altercation, which quickly escalated. Hilyard stabbed Edwards with a kitchen knife and fled the scene. Davis promptly called 911 for help. DeKalb County Police were dispatched, and Officer Joseph Pitts was first to arrive on scene. Per three witness accounts, Officer Pitts did not announce his arrival or identify himself. He entered the home to find the couple’s three-legged dog, Tooter, whom he shot and killed. Upon hearing shots, Davis became alarmed that his girlfriend’s assailant might have returned with a gun. He retrieved his own gun, proceeded to the front room of his home and was shot twice by Officer Pitts.

Both Edwards and neighbors on the scene claim they did not hear Officer Pitts order Davis to put down his weapon before hearing gunshots. Police have stated that Davis was told to drop his firearm, and refused to do so. After the shooting, Edwards came out, saying, “What have you done? Why did you shoot him?”

A second officer arrived on the scene. Davis, prone, said he was unable to feel his legs. He was arrested, charged with aggravated assault of a police officer, and transferred to Grady Hospital in downtown Atlanta in police custody. Hilyard, the roommate and attacker, was apprehended and arrested for the assault on Edwards. Edwards was transported to emergency care, her wounds having punctured an artery in her right arm. She later recovered, and has since returned to Ohio, though she continues to defend Davis’s actions.

Over the next two days, during his stay at the hospital, Davis’s family made numerous attempts to speak with him, both in person and over the phone, but they were denied by police, who said he was “in police custody.” Davis was not allowed to have outside contact, which reportedly evoked frustration on behalf of attending doctors. On December 31, Davis died from his injuries sustained at the hands of Officer Pitts. “It’s heartbreaking to us,” said his sister, Delisa Davis, “that he had to die alone, that he died with the identity of a criminal. He was 44, and had never been convicted of any crime.”

The family has said they were repeatedly blocked from seeing Davis until they were notified, without condolences, that he had “expired.” A representative of DeKalb County Police allegedly said to them, “You can go see him now.”

Kevin Davis’s sister, Delisa Davis (top left), expressed dismay about the nature of her brother’s (bottom center) passing.

Davis’s death at the hands of police comes at a moment when activism spotlighting issues of racial justice and police brutality has been surging in Atlanta and across the nation. Supporters of the Davis family feel his case deserves the emphasis given to similar cases in Ferguson, New York, Cleveland and elsewhere. The parallels are stark: a black man is killed by law enforcement amidst dubious circumstances, and criminalized in the process. In addition, despite conflicting witness statements his case has not been investigated by independent agencies. What is unique in Davis’s case is that he was the one who invited police into his home. The shooting did not take place in the streets.

On Friday, January 23, members of the Davis-Bozeman Law Firm, along with the Davis family, held a press conference at the Decatur headquarters of the Georgia Bureau of Investigations to deliver a letter from Georgia State Senator Vincent Fort (D), requesting that the bureau launch an independent investigation of the shooting, death and arrest of Kevin Davis. “When you call for help, that is what you should get. An independent investigation needs to be launched immediately so this family can understand what has happened to their loved one,” said Mawuli Davis, a partner in the Davis-Bozeman firm. The GBI has yet to respond to the request.

On Monday January 26, Moral Monday Georgia, together with the Georgia NAACP, staged a rally in the rotunda of the Georgia State Capitol to introduce the Georgia Law Enforcement Reform Package, six state legislature bills aimed at limiting police militarization, and increasing community oversight on law enforcement. Davis’s family was in attendance. At the event’s conclusion, members of the crowd placed 168 roses in the center of the rotunda to symbolize each citizen killed by police in the state in the past decade. Delisa Davis, Kevin’s sister, was asked to place the first rose. At the top of the roses lay Kevin Davis’s funeral program.

Flyer and roses at the center of the GA State Capitol Rotunda.

Later this week, a coalition of organizations including the American Friends Service Committee, Moral Monday Georgia, the National Coalition to Combat Police Terrorism, and the #shutitdownATL Coalition, will hold a vigil for the Davis family at the DeKalb County Courthouse, marking 30 days since Davis’s death. Supporters will march from the courthouse to Sawicki’s sandwich shop, where Davis’s co-workers have created a memorial. The vigil is intended to serve as a grieving space for the family still digesting the shock of his passing. A press conference is planned for the following days to spotlight the case, and to galvanize the local movement against police violence toward people of color.

“This is exactly what Kevin would have wanted of us,” said his sister, “to seek justice. He didn’t deserve what he got.”
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 07:40 am

St. Louis Police Union Official Attacks Woman at Community Meeting

Missouri State Rep. Jeff Roorda's assault on a woman proves wounds from Ferguson are still fresh.
By Kali Holloway / AlterNet
January 29, 2015

Months after the murder of Michael Brown in Feruguson, Missouri, a St. Louis community meeting disintegrated into chaos when a white police union representative physically pushed a black woman who was also in attendance.

The meeting, held in the St. Louis City Hall building, was convened to discuss the creation of a civilian oversight board to examine complaints against the police. According to the St. Louis American, Democratic State Representative and business manager for the St. Louis Police Officer’s Association Jeff Roorda was having a heated exchange with another state official just before the attack took place.

Roorda, who was sitting in the audience, had just finished yelling to the public safety committee chairman Alderman Terry Kennedy, “How about some order here?”

His comment came after a police officer was trying to give his testimony on the proposed legislation of a civilian oversight board but was being interrupted by some attendees.

Kennedy responded to Roorda, saying, “First of all, you do not tell me my function.”

After hearing this, Roorda rose from his seat and was trying to move through the crowd towards the front of the room. He first tried to push the young black woman out of his way, and then, according to reports of those close by, pushed and scratched her face.

The woman who was attacked, Cachet Currie, said she was attempting to exit the room when Roorda grabbed her by the arm and pushed her. “Roorda just jumped out into the aisle, pushed me over, and tried to get to Kennedy,” said Currie, speaking to KMOV. "I'm like 'Wait a minute, don't push me.' Then he started going off on me, pushing me.”

Roorda, who was reportedly wearing a bracelet that read “I Am Darren Wilson” at the time, referred to Currie and others in the room as “anti-police radicals.” Though the meeting was terminated shortly after, there were no arrests.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 07:45 am

NYPD's Work Stoppage Backfire: Arrest Rates Plummet At No Cost to Public Safety

The Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association has strongly suggested officers not make arrests unless “absolutely necessary,” which should probably be standard operating procedure.
By Kate Aronoff / Waging Nonviolence
January 9, 2015

Members of the New York Police Department are currently engaged in a nonviolent campaign against New York City officials. Almost immediately following the killing of NYPD officers Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu on December 20, department members began to publicly dissent against both Mayor Bill de Blasio and Police Commissioner William Bratton.

On December 27, hundreds of police officers turned their backs to de Blasio at the funeral services for Ramos, as he addressed the crowd that had gathered outside the chapel. The mayor then faced a similar response at the Madison Square Garden graduation of 884 new officers last Monday. On Friday, Bratton issued a firmly-worded memo ahead of Liu’s Sunday funeral, saying that the service should be about “grieving not grievance.” This call for decorum went unheeded, as hundreds of officers, yet again, turned their backs to de Blasio, during the eulogy he delivered for Liu.

In a statement that might seem ironic to protesters who’ve encountered the NYPD at marches and demonstrations, Ed Mullins, president of the Sergeants Benevolent Association, stated, in response to Bratton’s memo, that, “I remind my members of their first amendment right to expression … It’s your choice.” Police unions have been some of de Blasio’s harshest critics, with Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association president Patrick Lynch taking to the airwaves immediately after the deaths of Ramos and Liu to chastise the mayor for having “blood on his hands.”

The NYPD’s most notable action, however, has been the “work stoppage” reported in the New York Post last week. Arrests for minor offenses dropped by 94 percent in late December compared with the same period in 2013, while arrests overall are down 66 percent. The Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association has strongly suggested officers not make arrests unless “absolutely necessary,” which —it’s worth noting — should probably be standard operating procedure rather than a protest tactic.

As Matt Taibbi pointed out in Rolling Stone, the “slowdown strike” has unwittingly placed the police in an awkward position: with arrest rates plummeting and no significant harm done to public safety, the department may soon find itself having disproven the value of Broken Windows policing polices that #BlackLivesMatter protesters have been calling for an end to all along. Eric Garner, killed by police officer Danny Pantaleo this summer, was accosted and eventually choked to death for selling a 25 cent loose cigarette, the type of minor offense at the heart of Broken Windows. As comedian Chris Rock quipped on Twitter, “Maybe the NYPD can use their newfound love of back-turning the next time they see a dark skinned man walking the street doing nothing wrong.”

The Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association, a union, has called on its 25,000 members to take a page out of the history books, or at least civil resistance scholar Gene Sharp’s198 Methods of Nonviolent Struggle. At a union meeting following the December 20 killing of Ramos and Liu, Lynch told officers: “We’re going to take that book, their rules and we’re going to protect ourselves because they won’t. We will do it the way they want us to do it. We will do it with their stupid rules, even the ones that don’t work.” In other words, tactic number 111: a “Work-to-Rule Strike.” Turning one’s back? That’s number 54. Some officers even took up number 12, skywriting, by hiring an aerial advertising company to fly the words “De Blasio, Our Backs Have Turned To You” over the Hudson River.

Sharp’s methods, along with many other frameworks for organizing and movement building, are only blueprints or tools to disseminate a certain message and win campaigns and public support — regardless of values or intent. Saul Alinksy’s “Rules for Radicals,” known as a veritable Bible of community organizing, has also been used as a handbook for the Tea Party and conservative activists like James O’Keefe. In Ayn Rand’s right-libertarian magnum opus “Atlas Shrugged,” industrialists go on strike to protest increased regulation, forcing the government to recognize the critical value of producers.

The fact that the NYPD — a body that maintains a monopoly on the legitimate use of force — has resorted to nonviolent methods is a testament to those methods’ power. But, in the words of Spiderman’s Uncle Ben, “with great power comes great responsibility.” The NYPD’s actions represent a growing rift between the police department and the mayor’s office. The fissure is especially troubling because it signals an even greater hostility to civilian oversight for one of the world’s most militarized police forces. Message matters — a lesson that’s chillingly clear when forces like the NYPD use tactics dreamed up to bring down tyrants, dictators and institutionalized racism to, instead, assert what it believes to be its right to unchecked power. It will be up to protesters with a just cause, rather than a conservative and reactionary one, to win the battle for public opinion.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 07:46 am
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 07:56 am
@bobsal u1553115,
You need a few of these.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_small/0/1013/294099-mr_plod.jpg
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 08:41 am
@izzythepush,
I so agree. We've combat trained and assault armed the police. We need a shck program to disarm, retrain the re-trainable and summary discharge of the rest.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 08:48 am
We can send probes billions of miles from Earth to take a picture of a particular feature on the moon of one of the outer planets of our Solar System. Surely we can arm our police enforcement officers with equipment that can reliably disable resisting offenders and suspects without shooting them to death.

Phasers on stun!
Baldimo

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 09:08 am
@Frank Apisa,
The police carry Tasers, but when they get used, the police still get in trouble. It doesn't matter what they do or what tech comes along, people will always have something nasty to say about the police.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 10:04 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

The police carry Tasers, but when they get used, the police still get in trouble. It doesn't matter what they do or what tech comes along, people will always have something nasty to say about the police.

I agree, Baldimo...some people go overboard in their negativity toward police. That has to be curbed. The police are NOT the enemy...no matter that some cut some serious corners.

Anyway...Tasers are not enough. We need to arm as many cops as possible with a reliable weapon that can be used to incapacitate someone being a problem without shooting...and we have to be sure that each cop has a device to record what is happening in real time. We have the technological capability to do much, much, much better than we are doing presently.

I am not, as many here know, an advocate for greater personal privacy. I want to see lots more in the way of cameras in public spaces, on police vehicles, and on police officers. And I think it should be the DUTY of anyone coming on a conflict to record it. Keeping people at a safe distance is one thing...but any cop stopping the recording of a confrontation should have to answer serious questions about why.
0 Replies