belly button infection

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 06:35 pm
MY 15 year old granddaughter has an infection oozing from her belly button. She's been given antibiotics but nobody has a diagnosis. Should we gently wash the area with an anti bacterial soap and then put an anti fungal cream on it for a few days to see if it clears up. My daughter is beside herself and feels so helpless that she can't fix this problem

glitterbag

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 06:42 pm
@ptrsnake13,
Yike, have you seen a dermatologist? Whatever it is, it has to be seen by doctors until you get an answer. Does she have any piercings?
0 Replies

luismtzzz

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 06:44 pm
@ptrsnake13,
I highly recommend you search for a second opinion. A good doctor must always give a diagnosis or a reassurance about the disease of his her patient.

This are bacterial diseases. No anti fungal cream will cure her. If the current oral antibiotic didnĀ“t work she needs a change of drug.

There are many different types of bacteria some are resistant to a type of antibiotic but sensitive to others. There is no way to know the outcome until we start taking a medication. What doctors do almost everytime is use broad spectrum antibiotics, or attack the most common bacterial cause of an infection according to stadistics.

Seek a second opinion, do not waste time.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 07:48 pm
@luismtzzz,
I have a question for you luis. I this might be a silly question, but is the navel a more susceptible point for infection to reach the blood stream? Every infection should be treated to prevent it spreading to other areas of the body, but I know that untreated abscessed teeth and UTI's can be extremely aggressive if not treated. This infection in the girls navel sounds very alarming to me.
PUNKEY

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 08:42 pm
How much do you want to bet this is a belly button piercing gone wrong?
glitterbag

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 09:04 pm
@PUNKEY,
I asked the question, but don't know yet. Recent piercings provide a portal for infection to enter the body. Until the skin knits back together, it's vulnerable.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 09:21 pm
Um, who gave her the antibiotics?

Something left over from someone else's illness, maybe?? If so, they will be completely ineffective.

See a doctor now.

Joe(meanwhile, wash gently with mild soap and water)Nation
roger

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 09:39 pm
@Joe Nation,
I guess we all assumed the antibiotics were prescribed by her doctor. Now that you mention it, there was no basis for the assumption at all.
0 Replies

luismtzzz

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 09:39 am
@glitterbag,
No medical question is silly Glitter.

Any skin infection most be treated promptly and appropriatedly. The skin areas more susceptible to complications are the feet because of their slow vein drainage. On the navel the blood flux in more efficient and I will worry if the patient is obese and has a prominent belly. Because is a risk factor for huge abscess, infectious celulitis and something horrible called necrotizing fasceitis (search google images at your own risk those images are horrible)

Hope this answers your question.
luismtzzz

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 02:08 pm
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
How much do you want to bet this is a belly button piercing gone wrong?

LOL i agree totally, i have seen a few of those tough.

At least 3 navel infections related to peiercings, 2 ocasions on the ear cartilage (not the common ear piercing), one on a lip, and once during medschool a patient with a penis piercing admitted to the urology ward. the guy was so scared to loss it. Fortunatedly for him it was very responsive to antibiotics.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 03:00 pm
@luismtzzz,
Thank you Luis, I seem to recall some horror story about abscesses, and that oozing anything seems like a medical emergency to me. I wish the grandmother would tell us that the girl has seen a doctor, or sought a second opinion.

luismtzzz

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 04:17 pm
@glitterbag,
Anything oozing means two things:

1. Staphilococcus ssp.
2. A collection of anaerobes

The Staphs are the Tazmanian Devils of the bacterial world. Some species are nasty assh*les that are highly resitant to almost anything. And anaerobes have very specific sensitives that require specialized antibiotics. Many times an abscess most be treated with surgical removal.

But necrotizing fasceitis... better known as meat eating bacteria. That i will not desire it even to my worst enemy.

I hope there is an update soon. So we can stop worrying.
0 Replies