Laptop for mainly business

Montana

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 03:33 pm
Hi all Smile
I'm looking to purchase my first laptop (always had desktops) and it will be used mainly for business and all advice would be very much appreciated.
My price limit would be around $1,000 and since I've heard so many negative things about windows 8, I think I would be more interested in Windows 7.
I've never tried either and the last thing I've run is XP.

BillRM

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 03:43 pm
@Montana,
Quote:
I've never tried either and the last thing I've run is XP.

Still running XP on two desktops and two netbooks and still getting updates for the OS thanks to a register hack.

My wife does have a desktop running Windows 7 and she is happy with it.

A few things other then the OS come to mind like are you going to be traveling with the laptop a lot where weight would be important and are you going to be running it away from AC often where battery life is an important factor?

Are you going to be running just everyday business related software or are you going to run programs that would put a stress on the CPU of a low power computer?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 03:52 pm
@Montana,
Head for Fry's or find an authorized Apple re-seller. $1000 should get you a pretty darn nice laptop!
0 Replies

luismtzzz

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 03:56 pm
@Montana,
A liitle bit of more info would be appreciated. Since the power of the laptop is proportional to the price it will depend on what you need it for.

You said buisness. If you need corel draw you need an expensive laptop. If you only need word and excel you can find a cheap laptop that will serve your needs for 400 bucks.

So please be more specific.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 04:22 pm
Thank you for your responses. I would only need word and excel, but still want a fair amount of power and something reliable.
Long battery life is a huge plus even though I will have access to an outlet most of the time. Not much traveling will be done with it and it will be used for home office.
I would need HDD, HDMI port and preferably 2 other ports and Bluetooth.
I prefer 8GB, but no less than 6GB.

Sorry I didn't specify earlier, I had forgotten how important all this info is.
roger

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 04:33 pm
@Montana,
I don't know these laptop things, but excel, word, and the whole MS office are not very demanding of today's computers. Add an accounting program like Peachtree, and anything on the market is more than adequate.

I had to do a replacement at the end of '13, and after looking at Windows 8 in stores, I went with a reconditioned Dell desktop running under Windows 7.

If you do get an accounting program, ol' Rog could probably do considerable coaching if you go with Peachtree, especially if you aren't doing manufacturing or merchandising. Peachtree Pro (bottom dollar) is very adequate.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 06:08 pm
@Montana,
I read your title as "laptop for MANLY business" so I had to check out what that was all about and then I discovered it was you!

Lovely to see you. Hope all is well.

I have no idea how to answer your question though.
0 Replies

luismtzzz

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 06:27 pm
@Montana,
Well a quick trip to a Best buy could solve this problem. You have a very good idea of what you want. There are many brands, i personally prefer Samnsung and Toshiba, they have great quality and good post sale service through call centers based in America.

I will like to add a few things:

<At least 500gb of hard drive
<HDD at least 5000 rpm
<RAm at least DDR3 1600 MHz
<Processor at least Intel Core i5 4200U or superior like Intel Core i7

If you are not into design or into gaming avoid laptops with powerfull graphic cards they will make the laptop 200 to 500 bucks more espensive.

There is no practical difference between LED and OLED, they will wrk the same and OLED is more expensive.

Long batery life is a scam. A few brands promise long life but it will always depend on what you are doing with the laptop, the brigthing settings of the screen, the number of applications running, etc. So do not take that as a necessity since they may increase the price for offeringa long battery life.

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 07:57 pm
Quote:
Montana said: I've heard so many negative things about windows 8, I think I would be more interested in Windows 7.
I've never tried either and the last thing I've run is XP

Yeah I had XP for 5 years and switched to Win 7 early this year and it works fine. I could have had Win 8 but i've heard too many bad things about it, apparently its still got a few glitches in it.
If you need more advice, Bleeping is one of the best help forums around-
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 08:22 pm
I've run every version of windows since 3.1 and I don't have any issues with W8. How heavy are you looking to get? A Surface Pro 2 would probably be best if you want to travel a lot and value low weight over screen size. The Surface is also getting pretty good reviews. If you need a big screen, the HP Elitebook 840 has a 14" screen and a pretty good name. That is what we use where I work. They have a 12" Elitebook as well.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 09:57 pm
Excellent advice and I thank you all. I've been doing tons of research this past week and have learned a truck load between the many reviews, but I always like to get people's opinions first hand.

Boomer, lol on the "manly". Might be something I might have posted back in my drinkin days Smile
Love and hugs xoxo
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 10:03 pm
I've been chasing reviews around all night and it looks like Lenovo gets good ratings everywhere and even the best under Apple so I went to their website to see what was cookin in there and I found a nice set up that looks like it would be perfect for my needs and more.
The G510 with 8GB is on sale now for under what I would have thought I would pay for that much Ram along with all the other decent features.
It's got excellent customer reviews.
0 Replies

Maxbond

Reply Fri 8 May, 2015 04:15 am
You can buy the HP Envy 17-j130us 17.3-inch Touchsmart Laptop which is best for your business and it's price is under 1000$ and it also support the windows 7.
0 Replies