Looking for a wireless router/wifi hotspot

jespah

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 11:11 am
Just like the topic title says. I am looking for one of those little business card-sized thingies (watch as I dazzle you all with technical terms) that you carry with your laptop or tablet and can create a hotspot. I do not (if this is at all possible) want to just piggyback on a wired router; I want my own wifi for traveling 'n stuff. If that is impossible then I already have a line on possible hotspot thingies that just boost wired signals.

Thanks in advance. Shiny ribbon to best answer; trip to Nowheresville for spammers.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 4,327 • Replies: 20
No top replies

engineer

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 11:19 am
@jespah,
The easiest thing to do it set your smart phone up as a hot spot and just connect to it via wifi or Bluetooth. I do this for my kids all the time and you get the same bandwidth that you'd get with a card. It would also save you from having to set up a wireless plan for the card when you already have one for your phone.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 01:30 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

The easiest thing to do it set your smart phone up as a hot spot and just connect to it via wifi or Bluetooth. I do this for my kids all the time and you get the same bandwidth that you'd get with a card. It would also save you from having to set up a wireless plan for the card when you already have one for your phone.

That would be my suggestion as well. If you really want a separate one though most wireless stores do sell them as USB cards that have a cell plan attached to them.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 02:54 pm
Mah phone is too dumb for this (and I'm not looking to switch phone plans yet).
engineer

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 04:01 pm
@jespah,
If the choice is upgrading your phone plan or buying a card with a phone plan, maybe a new phone should be in your future.
jespah

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 04:19 pm
@engineer,
Interesting. Okay, this is getting more complicated than I had wanted it to. I rarely use my cell and am trying to avoid a bells and whistles phone because of this. I figure spending more per month is absurd when I use it, no lie, on an average of maybe five times per month, and for a total of easily less than 20 minutes total (all five or so calls combined).
Rockhead

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 04:19 pm
@jespah,
the hotspot was my solution for moving back into town.

it adds about $30 on to my Berizon Vill every month, but is portable if I go outta town or hafta hang out at a venue all weekend.

if you use a lotta gigs, this plan gets expensive...
jespah

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 04:22 pm
@Rockhead,
I'm mainly looking to be able to more readily handle the weekly blogging, etc. I currently do for a bunch of little projects I've got going, plus schoolwork. We go to Cape Cod once or twice a year and to my folks maybe two or three times, but if I need to travel more, I am thinking it might be nice, plus it's something to consider, just in general.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 04:27 pm
@jespah,
this is adjustable. I can dial the gigs up and down as needed. and I kept my dumb phone, just changed how it all gets billed.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 04:38 pm
@jespah,
Not sure how this works in the US but when my phone plan contract was up in May/June, they gave me a new fancy-dancy phone (a Samsung Galaxy that turns out to be brilliant) for free with no increase in my monthly plan (in fact, it went down $5/month). It would be a comparatively nominal increase to add a full access data plan. This new phone does pretty much everything the tablet does (which is light years ahead of what the first home puter could do).

Worth looking into, I'd say.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 04:39 pm
@ehBeth,
I barely ever use/d the phone as a phone. Probably less than an hour a year.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 04:49 pm
Huh, there is much to consider. I shall ponder.
0 Replies

luismtzzz

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 04:54 pm
@jespah,
Definitively the cell phone is your best bet. I use it alot as Hotspot while traveling. Almost any Android version 2.x or superior can be used as a hotspot. I am an android enthusiast by the way so i can help you if it is the case. It only requires a few 2 or maximum 3 steps to set your phone to work.

So first, what brand and model is your cell phone?
jespah

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 07:08 am
@luismtzzz,
I'll have to check but we are talking about a flip phone here.
luismtzzz

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 01:52 pm
@jespah,
There are two aspects to consider here.

First you may really need a phone upgrade.

And to check that your movil communication provider prices for movil internet services.

I highly advise a phone with any android operating system superior to 4 (as they work pretty well and fast). Creating a hotspot is really easy. Also if you have a pc that does not has internet connection and no wireless card you can use an USB cable to access internet on the PC.

Your movil services provider is of most importance. Some companies sell internet devices that reseble USB sticks, with a montly cost. But then you will need your laptop always on, and a router to connect a tablet if you wish so.

The cell phone can easily provide the same services for the same cost, so there is no need to carry multiple devices.

Now, all most every phone service provider offers plans of internet usage. Many providers affer internet service with common phone plans. Maybe you already have access and you did not even know. Personally i prefer pre paid service. So i have exact control of how much i surf on my phone, and buy extra credit if needed.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 05:01 pm
@luismtzzz,
Quote:
Personally i prefer pre paid service. So i have exact control of how much i surf on my phone, and buy extra credit if needed.

That's what I have via Tracfone. Recently upgraded to my first smartphone and am loving it. There is no airtime charge at all when I am home and using our WiFi. I hate the virtual keyboard (fat fingers) but love everything else on it. Best thing is that the cell phone, PC and tablet all sync with each other via Google's nifty tools.

Jespah, look into the prepaid phones and options at Tracfone. I got my phone for $125 plus a year subscription and 1300 air minutes with triple minutes for future added time (will last me several years with my current usage) for an additional $75. If you need more airtime than that, you can get the monthly plan for $9 per month and almost unlimited airtime.

If you don't use the phone much and can connect to WiFi when you do, it is almost free to use except for the subscription fee.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 05:15 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
I hate the virtual keyboard (fat fingers) but love everything else on it.

the stylus is your friend - $3 on sale at our TJ Maxx equivalent, or free at almost every trade show lately Wink
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 05:32 pm
@ehBeth,
I have 6 of them, and still can't keep track of them. Trying to find a case for the phone that also has a stylus keeper. The iPhone accessories seem to drown out anything for other brands.
jespah

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 05:39 pm
Interesting. This would have to be something (this is why I want a tablet, actually) where I can really type, as I'd use it for writing and homework. Many things to think about .....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 06:07 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
Trying to find a case for the phone that also has a stylus keeper.

don't laugh

Liz Claiborne

found a phone case and a tablet case - one with a pocket, one with a stylus holder - at Boutique VV - black shiny faux alligator by Liz Claiborne - probably no longer made but you know.

Also found one at Danier, which is a Canadian store most famous for its leather jackets.

________

edit: the Liz Claiborne thing is called a wristlet (who knew?) and is faux croc

http://rosestreat.com/?page_id=4&category=23

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad47/msrosetreat/Liz%20Claiborne/lccaseblack4.jpg

apparently there is a whole category called 'phone wristlets'

here's one with the phone on the outside and a stylus spot

http://www.mileskimball.com/mileskimball/images/p338814b.jpg

maybe a bit too cute

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6vfiovAU9vM/Txr-6ws29EI/AAAAAAAAAzc/h9dKG0_r2KY/s1600/phonewristlet.png