ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 02:41 pm
@ossobuco,
Also, this is a useful article - I learned a lot.
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/10/27/ebola-wars
ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 03:01 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Aaack, on page 32, it was Bobsal's link, not Finn's, no wonder I liked it:
I take some wait as reasonable medically re people who wore special outfits (ppe's, and they vary) to treat end stage patients. Not clear that 21 days is the decisive number, might be less, but on the other hand, what is one more week to be sure. People who didn't wear such outfits with associated protocols, and were exposed, w/in 21 days, for sure. People who went to some wedding far away, give us a break, that is fear in action.

http://www.vox.com/2014/10/21/7020519/Ebola-facts-maps-charts-graphics

maxdancona

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 03:15 pm
@ossobuco,
That is a great link, Osso. It seems to contradict your earlier points.

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2339450/causes-of-death-ebola-labels.0.png
ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 04:38 pm
@maxdancona,
What are you lecturing me on, that other causes cause more stuff?

I'm not a fear monger. I do care about contamination in some circumstances, and understand watching to avoid that. I also get the nature of the transmission of the ebola virus, which is fortunately on the low side, but still doable at endstaging. I presume you haven't read my link on the scenarios in research labs now and in Sierra Leone.

I'm the one who didn't like a school being shut down since a school employee was in the plane, not at the same time but later, than an eventual ebola patient was in with no symptoms. I still consider that silly but see why an airlines would, at least for advertising/financial reasons, do a scrub out that doesn't make sense but the school followup was hard to believe.

Talk about grandstanding, you lecturing me.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 07:03 pm
@ossobuco,
New Yorker is a good magazine. Great articles.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 07:08 pm
@rosborne979,
My hope exactly. I get the feeling they messed with the wrong guy. He seems powerful and angry.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 01:10 pm
Meantime, I read in the news this morning about California's take on quarantine, and agree with it; it's risk related: for California counties to make their own decisions on a case by case basis regarding the actual level of exposure of the arriving person(s). I can see that being tricky too, but presently makes more sense to me.

Busy day, I didn't save a link, but I'm sure that is well out there now on google.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 01:18 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Honey, I'm a fan. Have been reading it since I was ten, off and on, relative to having the bucks to subscribe at any given time. I was ten a long time ago, and some of the cartoons befuddled me, not to mention the articles, but I remember it. Maybe when I was ten I liked the ads (pictures!!) and the drawings.

This doesn't mean I have agreed all this time with all the stuff printed in all those hundreds of weeks of magazines. In many ways, though, I've learned a lot via reading both the news and fiction there.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 01:22 pm
@ossobuco,
Nothing beats Viz.
http://oldrope.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/markengelssmaller.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 01:35 pm
@izzythepush,
Answering before I've had time to peruse Viz, which I will. Off hand, different stuff is close to our hearts, naturally.

I'm interested in the Maine governor's back down, re if Nurse Hickox takes a blood test. Interested re what JPB says, if she knows, re the virus showing up measurably in a blood test at a given time since exposure.

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 01:46 pm
Most of this stuff is not all that important...because whether we have a serious outbreak of Ebola or not...the infrastructure for a serious outbreak of some easily infectious disease has to be put into place.

It IS NOT HERE NOW.

Most small hospitals (which comprise the majority of hospitals in our country) are simply not equipped to handle a serious epidemic of anything...let alone something like Ebola. Many of the larger hospitals are minimally equipped. The entire of the healthcare system can easily be overloaded by any kind of epidemic.

We should be using this happenstance to get ourselves into gear for what almost certainly will come in some form at some point.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 01:46 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Actually...the tent was inside the hospital...not a tent out in the backyard. The temperature was the ambient temperature of the rest of the hospital.
http://i61.tinypic.com/102paom.jpg
I've been in quarantine, too, (pocks-related), not in a hospital but a navy medical centre. It was more comfortable than the tent above ... 45 years ago.

Actually, I was the only one on the ward [just two quarantine rooms, ten normal ones] who did ["illegally"] the shopping in the canteen, because I didn't show any symptoms after a couple of days. [It was a quite similar situation: my hometown was in a restricted infection area, I wasn't vaccinated ... and had to wait until my 21th birthday for the immunization ...
farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 04:08 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I wonder if, in order to be communicable and transmissible, an affected patient must be exuding a blue liquid from their ers. Itd be easy to argue against forced quarantine f that were the case no?

Why isn't personal responsibility a measure for anything? The medical pwrsonal aren't terrorists, they used good medical practices to self monitor .
The 4th Amendment counts only when they say it does
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 09:31 am
@farmerman,
One of the best posts I've read. The last paragraph is so true.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 09:32 am
http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoons/RogerR/2014/RogerR20141031_low.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 12:42 pm
I read this morning that she hadn't been in treatment wards with patients with symptoms, so assuming that's true, that changes my viewpoint re quarantine need for her.
woiyo

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 12:50 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, what happens if the Judge is wrong and she does come down with symptoms? Is it worth the risk? Is she being selfish?