Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 11:21 am
@woiyo,
woiyo wrote:

I have no problem with Christies policy. Small price to pay to protect EVERYONE.

By no means am I a fan of Christie...or Cuomo, for that matter, Woiyo...

...but in this case, I think they were trying to come down on the side of safety for everyone.

Good for them.

I hope this entire thing peters out quickly, but if it ever goes full scale...the same people pissing and moaning will be on the front lines of people demanding to know why more was not done.

Some people just cannot be satisfied.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 11:21 am
@Quehoniaomath,
Quehoniaomath wrote:

Quote:
I have no problem with Christies policy. Small price to pay to protect EVERYONE.

Hmmmm, FREEDOM for SAFETY, right???

Hmmmm, well, smells like Orwellian to me!!!!!

I smell a rat!

See if there is anyone else in the room with you. If not...take a shower.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 11:25 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

LOL

Something I said? Wink

It is all one big hoax and hype to take our freedoms away!

scared? you should be!! We will be entering the fascist world police stat very soon!

congratulations!!!

Man oa man this world is really deeply mad!!
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 11:45 am
@Quehoniaomath,
Quehoniaomath wrote:

Quote:

LOL

Something I said? Wink

Yup. Go back and read it.

Quote:
It is all one big hoax and hype to take our freedoms away!

Probably operated by a guy on a grassy knoll somewhere...right?

Quote:
scared? you should be!! We will be entering the fascist world police stat very soon!

Yeah...and the sky is falling.

Quote:
congratulations!!!

Man oa man this world is really deeply mad!!

Certainly parts of it, Q. Certainly parts of it!
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 11:50 am
@Quehoniaomath,
You would. Do you believe there is no Ebola issue in Africa?
woiyo

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 11:53 am
@Frank Apisa,
I know you are not a fan of CC. So it is comforting to know that even his "opponents" agree with his decision to do whatever he can to protect the citizens.

Funny how the Nurse from Main who was confined in Jersey was complaining , knowing she was exposed to the virus. Who is being selfish in this matter? She should know better, but did not care.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 11:58 am
@woiyo,
woiyo wrote:

I know you are not a fan of CC. So it is comforting to know that even his "opponents" agree with his decision to do whatever he can to protect the citizens.

Funny how the Nurse from Main who was confined in Jersey was complaining , knowing she was exposed to the virus. Who is being selfish in this matter? She should know better, but did not care.

Her reaction mystified me. Almost as though she were saying, "I put my life on the line, therefore yours has to be on the line also."

People touting "voluntary temporary isolation" ought to think about how she reacted.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 12:09 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Her reaction mystified me. Almost as though she were saying, "I put my life on the line, therefore yours has to be on the line also."

People touting "voluntary temporary isolation" ought to think about how she reacted.
She didn't do anything criminal, I think. Or did she?
Why had she been in that unheated and uncomfortable tent?

If she really had got the virus - which certainly is a reason to get quarantined - why hadn't she been looked at on a proper ward?

Actually, anyone who met someone who had been in Africa could have got the virus. Or who met someone who had been in regions of Germany, Spain, France, the USA, .... etc. where people are who had contacted someone who met someone from Africa or someone who ...
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 12:33 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

She didn't do anything criminal, I think. Or did she?

Not that I know of. But is that the criteria we want to use in this situation?

Quote:
Why had she been in that unheated and uncomfortable tent?

Actually...the tent was inside the hospital...not a tent out in the backyard. The temperature was the ambient temperature of the rest of the hospital.

Quote:
If she really had got the virus - which certainly is a reason to get quarantined - why hadn't she been looked at on a proper ward?

You are sure this was not proper for the circumstances?

Quote:
Actually, anyone who met someone who had been in Africa could have got the virus. Or who met someone who had been in regions of Germany, Spain, France, the USA, .... etc. where people are who had contacted someone who met someone from Africa or someone who ...

I think maybe you should be one of the people giving returning workers a great big French kiss...just to show the world how it should be acting right now.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 01:14 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
I think maybe you should be one of the people giving returning workers a great big French kiss...just to show the world how it should be acting right now.
I certainly will. But before, I have to stand some hours in the target zone of rifle range, because I'm pro gun-regulations. Then, I'll give those baisers amoureux, but only to the pretty and unmarried ones.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 01:17 pm
@woiyo,
If Christie had barred a girl from school because her parents had a gun in the house, would you feel the same way?

Kids bring more guns to school in the US than they bring ebola, and far more kids will die from guns this year than ebola.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 01:34 pm
I can still see the need to keep someone who nursed an ebola patient within 21 days being quarantined upon arrival in a better to be safe than sorry manner. I'm not clear that it is a necessity sans fever much less other symptoms, but to always count on all the nurses and doctors to monitor temps leaves some room for human misbehaving variations; so far it seems they have, at least from what I've read, but accountability will likely not be perfect.

On the other hand, if they're marching into the third week and still don't show fever, I'm thinking naaaah, plus thank goodness. Hard call to make, though, to shorten the time.

I also see the sense to quarantine, versus scattered hysteria re people who shared a plane or a school or a bowling alley with someone who was diagnosed later but showed no symptoms at the time, thus scouring far and wide to disinfect, increasing the fear factor by multiples.

The tent thing, as said by a lot of us, was ridiculous on the face of it - but they do have the excuse of the forehead temperature, later overridden by the oral temperature.

I have sympathy for the nurse's anger re her treatment as she described it, but less clearly re refusing to be home quarantined.

Re the politicians and the disease experts, I pretty much get all of them as trying in these circumstances. I get that there may be grandstanding tucked in there too.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 01:46 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I can still see the need to keep someone who nursed an ebola patient within 21 days being quarantined upon arrival in a better to be safe than sorry manner. I'm not clear that it is a necessity sans fever much less other symptoms, but to always count on all the nurses and doctors to monitor temps leaves some room for human misbehaving variations; so far it seems they have, at least from what I've read, but accountability will likely not be perfect.

On the other hand, if they're marching into the third week and still don't show fever, I'm thinking naaaah, plus thank goodness. Hard call to make, though, to shorten the time.

I also see the sense to quarantine, versus scattered hysteria re people who shared a plane or a school or a bowling alley with someone who was diagnosed later but showed no symptoms at the time, thus scouring far and wide to disinfect, increasing the fear factor by multiples.

The tent thing, as said by a lot of us, was ridiculous on the face of it - but they do have the excuse of the forehead temperature, later overridden by the oral temperature.

I have sympathy for the nurse's anger re her treatment as she described it, but less clearly re refusing to be home quarantined.

Re the politicians and the disease experts, I pretty much get all of them as trying in these circumstances. I get that there may be grandstanding tucked in there too.

I hate the idea of politicians being involved also, Ossobuco, but there are times where they are the only ones who can make quick decisions.

And I am mindful of the fact that there was an accidental transmission in a hospital...with all sorts of safety protocols in place.

Right now I think there is very little to worry about...but much better to err on the side of safety than the other way.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 01:53 pm
@ossobuco,
I meant trying to do the right thing, not that they were trying patience.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 02:00 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
I hate the idea of politicians being involved also, Ossobuco, but there are times where they are the only ones who can make quick decisions.
You really must be happy and grateful to live in one of handful countries which have such politicians.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 02:00 pm
@ossobuco,
I respectfully disagree.

There is no scientific or medical reason for these extreme measures. There is no reason to keep kids from school, or to force a mandatory quarantine for people treating ebola patients. People who know all the facts and are thinking rationally will all tell you that these measures are completely unnecessary and that we will save more lives by getting people to take their flu shots.

The only reason for these measures is to protect irrational people from their irrational fears. Some educated people (including my brother) think that you have to go along with the fact that people are ignorant and irrational. He supports actions that get people to calm down. I disagree. Humoring peoples ignorance is awfully costly. I don't want to pay for it, and the people who are getting hurt are the doctors and nurses who are making a difference in the fight against ebola (these are the last people who should pay the price for ignorant fears).

Anyone who supports these quarantines as a way to "play it safe" who has not yet gotten their flu shot is acting irrationally.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 02:19 pm
I think there are sound medical reasons for home or other quarters quarantining nurses or doctors who treated people with Ebola end stage less than three weeks ago, given the many mishaps in Sierra Leone and Dallas as examples, virtually all with people trying their best to help. The protocols in Dallas were arguably poor at the start according to many with knowledge of those circumstances. I'm not blaming Presbyterian in Dallas, exactly - the failures could be predicted re lack of readiness, and their lack of disclosure about them at the time maybe even smart to keep away fear.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 02:25 pm
I'm going to go back and see if I can find that graphic that Finn posted. Impossible as it is to comprehend by even me, sometimes Finn and I coincide on some fraction of our opinions. I don't remember if I agreed with all of that one post, just that I liked that graphic as helpful.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 02:33 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I think there are sound medical reasons for home or other quarters quarantining nurses or doctors who treated people with Ebola end stage less than three weeks ago,

Based on what, Osso? There is no rational, medical or scientific reason to quarantine these doctors and nurses. The only reason for this is irrational fear. Why do you think your opinion trumps the medical doctors and researcher who actually know about the disease?

We have now had 3 people with the disease out in the public. They interacted with hundreds of people on planes, airports, busses and (horrors) bowling alleys. There were more cases in Europe with the same level of interaction.

For all of the hysteria and ignorant blathering... how many additional cases have we seen? Zero.

How many cases of public transmission have we seen in any country (including Sierra Leon)? Zero.

The medical experts and scientists have all told you that ebola is very difficult to catch, it doesn't spread very fast. The fact continue to support the science.

And yet... now we have heroic doctors being locked in tents and little kids being kept out of school. There is no reason for this.

Have you gotten your flu shot Osso?

maxdancona

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2014 02:38 pm
@maxdancona,
My frustration is that we live in the 21st century in a society that benefits greatly from science and technology.

A disease outbreak is a scientific problem that is best suited to a rational measured response. And yet society as a whole ignores the science and starts running around with the same prejudice and irrational fear that humans have always had.

It is sad when the voices of news anchors and politicians drown out the medical experts who actually understand the disease and how to respond to it.

Fear still wins over reason.

0 Replies