How does facebook know who I know?

Cjzx636

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 06:38 pm
I had an ex girlfriend that I split up with back in 2008. Never saw her, talked to her, heard from or about her again. She changed her number and deleted her facebook account as I deleted mine as well.

I recently made a new one, using my phone number instead of an email this time. Somehow facebook suggested some friends and acquaintances that I actually knew in person. It amazed me. Still, I did not add anyone yet.

Today, my ex popped up as one of them.

So how does facebook know that I know her? I don't have her number and i am pretty sure she doesn't have mine. We had no mutual friends in person or on Facebook. What other connections could there be?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 560 • Replies: 3
No top replies

chai2

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 06:43 pm
@Cjzx636,
Magic
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 07:12 pm
@Cjzx636,
Somehow it's in your email history, email contact on email, Internet cookies..or history on FB.
jespah

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 07:39 pm
@Ragman,
This, plus you likely both have location information on, and so Facebook is putting together that you are geographically close. There may be other things, a High School in common, local checkins (Foursquare, perhaps) in common, local business reviews (Yelp, perhaps) in common, etc. There is a ton of data out there on people. Some of it Facebook owns, some of it buys, and some of it conjectures with its algorithms.
0 Replies