To move or not to move?

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 08:37 pm
Dear Readers,
I'm a 25 year old full-time worker and part-time college student contemplating a move out of my mothers house. I've been contemplating this for the last couple of years but can't make up my mind. I do live free although it comes at a cost. My mother is home all of the time. I love her very much BUT she's extremely annoying, nosy and has no boundaries. I can not bring ANY ONE over. If I do only a female and only for a few hours. The older I've gotten the more I value my independence and respect. Two things I don't have at home. I'm not a party animal, I'm not a drinker nor do I sleep around. I do occasionally enjoy get togethers and/or woud really enjoy a place of my own that I can decorate. My own place that I can invite guest (friends or family ) to stay over when ever I desire. My own place to basically create my own rules. Does this make sense?

I haven't done so because I'm scared of living on my own. I could find a room mate but I'm still scared of feeling alone and coming home to an empty quite apartment. I'm scared of not having enough money even though I calculated expense would be tight but sustainable. I'm scared of moving out! Even though I day dream about it practically everyday.

I've had people tell me to take my time because once you move out of your parents home it can be really tough financially. Basically, I've been told to milk the cow for as long as I can.

I've had other people tell me the experience is totally worth it.

I don't know.

Please help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,328 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 08:52 pm
@LiveLoughLaugh24,
Go over your costs again, and include every possibility. Did you include utilities, internet connection, trash collection? Have you been doing your laundry at home and buying groceries? How about travel expenses to work and school?

If the numbers still work, do it.
LiveLoughLaugh24

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 08:54 pm
@roger,
So if the numbers are very close ...don't do it?

roger

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 09:47 pm
@LiveLoughLaugh24,
I like a little margin for the unexpected, and in your first household, there will be many. Still, there are probably emotional advantages to setting up housekeeping. I would say go for it, if you've really anticipated the expenses. If it looks like it will cost over you budget, don't be afraid to change your mind.
0 Replies

phoebe4

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 10:13 pm
You should move ...
LiveLoughLaugh24

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2014 08:57 pm
@phoebe4,
Did you ever encounter this situation? If so, how did it work out for you? Curious. I enjoy hearing how it worked out for other people.
0 Replies