Creative Writing: Why Can't My Character Stop Her Voice Mail From Playing Out

Boppy

Thu 31 Jul, 2014 12:07 pm
I'm working on an important scene in my novel and need some help. My character receives a message at work on her office phone that contains personal and embarrasing information that she'd prefer to keep to herself. She tries desperately to stop the message from playing out for everyone to hear but she can't even when she's tried the obvious (pressed stop, pressed volume-down button and lifted the receiver) Can someone tell me any other plausible reason why she's not able to stop the message from being played? Feel free to come up with anything imaginative, but realistic. Include other characters if you need to. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 6,848 • Replies: 11
Topic Closed
No top replies

roger

Thu 31 Jul, 2014 12:12 pm
@Boppy,
Realistically, it's probably a new device that will do exactly what she wants, but she's not familiar with the technology.
Boppy

Thu 31 Jul, 2014 12:20 pm
@roger,
Thanks a lot.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Thu 31 Jul, 2014 12:44 pm
She could muffle the sound with her hand couldn't she?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Thu 31 Jul, 2014 01:05 pm
@Boppy,
She could turn off the speaker phone if she could find the right button to push on the many-buttoned phone.

http://www.telcotel.com/comdial/Edge_120_Executive_Speakerphone.jpg
Romeo Fabulini

Thu 31 Jul, 2014 05:17 pm
Solar flares hitting earth's atmosphere can trigger weird effects in electrical apparatus, for example-
Sep 1859- Telegraph wires burst into flames, touching off fires .Telegraph machines scorched paper printouts, stunned operators with electric shocks, transmitted gibberish, and continued working for hours even after being unplugged from the batteries that powered them. The Earth itself was no longer "grounded"!

http://greekgeek.hubpages.com/hub/massive-solar-flare-1859
Boppy

Fri 1 Aug, 2014 07:15 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo, this is a great idea, I wouldn't know where to start looking if this was my office phone. Fantastic! Thank you. x
0 Replies

Boppy

Mon 4 Aug, 2014 04:19 am
@Butrflynet,
Thanks Butterfly net.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Mon 4 Aug, 2014 10:51 am
In this clip from the scifi/horror film 'The Stone Tape', the computer seems to come alive and starts printing out warnings at 1:20 saying- "Pray...soul...pray..".
(Basically a group of paranormal investigators are trying to trigger a ghost into appearing in an old haunted cellar)

0 Replies

Oscar70

Mon 22 Sep, 2014 11:42 am
@Boppy,
What about she is dealing with food at the moment she decides to check the messages and having her hands and mouth busy at the moment the recording appears makes all the situation goofy and chaotic.
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Fri 17 Oct, 2014 04:20 pm
The first words of the recording said that the message is for someone else, and she and others who were close to her smiled because "the wrong number"received message.

When the message is in progress, everybody is paying attention. Suddenly she starts to realize that is not "a wrong number message" but is about her, and she tries to stop it.

One of the co-workers hold her hand impeding her attempt to push the stop button, because the message is more than interesting.

She panics, the message is telling everything about her.

The others are now more interested with the narration of details, and she decided to stop the recording by disconnecting the device.

Too late, the last words of the message mentioned her name, which was cut off when she pulled the cable (or finally pushed the stop button), but was understood by the others anyway.

Silence.

(I should decide to make the rest leaving the area trying to get busy in something else, perhaps one of them looking at her trying in vain to give her support... or make the rest laugh because the "joke" or laughs pretending it was a joke... choices are many)
0 Replies

GorDie

Mon 6 Jul, 2015 11:42 am
@Boppy,
arms are full of important protfolios.
0 Replies