School Incident - What can I do?

Kyle-M

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2014 03:01 pm
I had a problem at the school back in mid December, 2013 that ended up with me being forced by my school to finish my second semester from home. In the time I have been home (Nearing 8 months) My mother and I have seen several professionals and I have been diagnosed with MDD and ADD, and since have been on medications for both. More problems came though, from being isolated at home day after day, week after week. Because of the schools decision to punish me by forcing me to work from home, I have become very easily overwhelmed and frustrated, as well as very distraught from the lack of social contact, which has also impacted my self esteem and depression.

My question comes in here, because I would like to continue attending my schools technology academy when school starts this August, so I reached out to the head of the academy asking if I would be allowed to resume attendence. She replied stating that I could not attend, because I had been expelled. I had been told that I was not suspended nor expelled, and that none of the incident nor the disciplinary action resulting from the incident would appear on my record. So I reached out to the principal, whom told me that what I what I had been told was correct, none of it is on my record, but I would not be allowed back to the academy regardless.

My question is, what can I do/what are my rights as a student? As far as I can find, I should be able to request a chance for redemption, especially now that I have been properly diagnosed with ADD and major depression. Would the principal not allowing me back to the academy be considered discriminatory (due to the LGBT nature of the incident/ the ADD-Depression findings) or violate my right to learn/an education? I am not sure how to approach this situation, especially as the tech academy means the world to me, both in the friends I have there and in the education I can get there. Any suggestions?

jespah

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2014 03:09 pm
@Kyle-M,
It's unclear where the LGBT part comes into your story (you just spring it into a later paragraph but there's no background, so it's hard to follow what you're talking about).

School districts have superintendents. That's your next stop, above the principal.

Be polite and respectful. Have written (if you can) proof of anything that's been said to you. But be prepared for things to possibly not go your way. Try it that way first, and see what happens.
Kyle-M

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2014 03:11 pm
@jespah,
Thank you, sorry for being a tad unclear, I have become rather scatter brained from being locked up so long. I'll see if I can get into contact with the superintendent, thanks!
jespah

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2014 04:36 pm
@Kyle-M,
Best of luck to you!
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2014 06:54 pm
Why not apply to another academy?
Kyle-M

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2014 07:05 pm
@PUNKEY,
There are only 3 other technology academies structured in the same way in the united states, so short of moving or going to a private school that has the same opportunities... wouldn't be the same. Plus the few friends I have had in life attend that academy.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2014 07:21 pm
@Kyle-M,
I went to half of kindergarten in Los Angeles, then we moved to Washington DC, then I went to 1st and second grade in Los Angeles, then to third grade in New York, and then spent some years in a Chicago area grammar school where I got to know the other students, except when I was pulled out to go back to California. I was an only child, most of all that time by myself.

Tell me what you are whining about again?

That sounds sarcastic, but you have been rather cosseted.
I don't know about that school that said no, or why. Maybe it was because of the lbgt question, but we have no idea, since you don't explain the matter.

Maybe you have some case in arguing, but it is hard to surmise that from your post.
I don't know how to help. You could consider the different points of view that are happening.

I, and maybe some of the rest of us readers, would like to help, but I, at least, am not sure what was going on.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2014 07:52 pm
@Kyle-M,
Quote:
especially now that I have been properly diagnosed with ADD and major depression.

I would suggest getting the medical people now treating your problems if possible to write letters supporting your return to school.
0 Replies