What everyday problems do you have that could be solved by a new product?

Romeo Fabulini

Fri 1 Aug, 2014 09:41 am
@Samu93,
Thanks, riders were puncturing in this years Tour de France so sadly there still isn't such a thing as a puncture-proof tyre..Smile
Samu93

Fri 1 Aug, 2014 09:47 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Yeah, because the current solution filling the tyres with a foam (as seen on wheelbarrows) would not be a comfortable option for cyclists. I guess that this will eventually be the solution after developing a foam that will also provide comfort for the user.
Romeo Fabulini

Fri 1 Aug, 2014 09:59 am
@Samu93,
Racing cyclists pump up their tyres rock hard anyway because the roads are generally excellent with no bumps to cause discomfort.
But punctures still do occur even on excellent roads, so the answer would be a solid rubber tyre, but racers are put off because it'd be heavier than a pneumatic tyre.
However, not everybody is a racer and I'm sure the average cycling mum dad and kids would happily buy solid tyres knowing they'd never suffer a puncture again.
So whoever markets a solid tyre will become a millionnaire overnight..Smile
Samu93

Fri 1 Aug, 2014 10:08 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Maybe the foam option would be of use, as they work well on wheelbarrows that are used to going over rough ground. Im just surprised nobody has ever decided to use this proven method on bikes, as it is a lighter option to a solid rubber tyre.
dalehileman

Fri 1 Aug, 2014 10:26 am
@Samu93,
Sam I double that remark regarding the wheelbarrow. I seem to spend half my life reinflating just one
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Fri 1 Aug, 2014 10:29 am
@Samu93,
As a longtime cyclist myself (amateur racer and cycle-camper), the amount of weight I've carried in my saddlebag on camping trips is phenomenal, so the extra weight of solid puncture-proof tyres would be completely unnoticeable by comparison.
Pneumatic tyres have been around for over a hundred years and people are so used to them that nobody yet has woken up and said "Hey why on earth are there no such things as solid puncture-proof tyres?"
Like I said, it's a golden opportunity waiting for an entrepreneur to pick up on and become a millionnaire overnight..Smile
0 Replies

roger

Fri 1 Aug, 2014 10:35 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Schwalbe Double Defense Marathon is as good as it gets. Solid rubber has been done.
Romeo Fabulini

Fri 1 Aug, 2014 11:19 am
@roger,
Is the Schwalbe Double Defense Marathon a solid rubber puncture-PROOF tyre or just pneumatic puncture-RESISTANT?
I can't seem to find it on the net, this one is from the same range and is only 'Resistant'-
Website quote: "The Marathon Mondial Double Defense Clincher Tire is Schwalbe’s ultimate touring tire for all conditions and all applications. Cut- and puncture-resistant, it’s lightweight, with fast rolling speed and some flex"
http://www.racycles.com/product/schwalbe-marathon-mondial-double-defense-clincher-tire

I've done a brief web search and it seems there are truly PROOF tyres around, but i'll have to do more research to try to find out what percentage of ordinary cyclists use them-
Website quote:- "Puncture Proof Tyres are the sole distributors of Amerityre products in the UK.
Amerityre are the creators of polyurethane foam technology for tyres. They created their first puncture proof tyre back in 1995 and have been busy perfecting them ever since. Now, 15 years later, they’re not only as good as a pneumatic tyre – they’re better.
There's a Puncture Proof Tyre for almost every bike wheel.
Big or small. Thick or thin. Puncture Proof Tyres tyres are used by thousands of people every day. So why risk getting a puncture?"
http://www.tiredofpunctures.com/cycle/index.html
0 Replies

dalehileman

Fri 1 Aug, 2014 01:12 pm
@Samu93,
Quote:
after developing a foam that will also provide comfort for the user.
I'd suppose foam eventually goes flat with air slowly squeezed out of the bubbles

What's needed then is a foam of bubbles that not only can't leak but which can be produced under slight pressure
0 Replies