What everyday problems do you have that could be solved by a new product?

Samu93

Mon 28 Jul, 2014 02:22 pm
I am a Product design student that needs to create a new product for a dissertation project. Any problems how big or small will help massively to generate new ideas.

Many thanks

luismtzzz

Mon 28 Jul, 2014 05:24 pm
@Samu93,
I am a medical Doctor. i have this problem that may help you somehow.

Everytime you see a doctor on a pic, they are always portrayed with the estetoscope hunged from behind the neck. This is practical since is the best way to carry them around. The truth is that it regularily trends to slide sideways and falls. They are too bulky to carry on the pockets of the clincal robe. Since we also carry other medical artifacts so that is not an option.

I hope this can help.
jack2927

Mon 28 Jul, 2014 06:51 pm
@Samu93,
I am a woodworker and DIY person on the weekends. I am constantly - constantly misplacing my tape measure ( and usually my pencil). Usually I slip the pencil in my pocket, but not the tape measure. It is too big. It has a belt clasp but I don't wear a belt with my shorts. I live in Florida and its really hot outside so I wear as little as possible. Hanging the tape measure on my pants is impractical, it wont fit in the pocket and if it did the pants would fall. I need a way to stop misplacing the tape measure or better way to hang on to it.
djjd62

Mon 28 Jul, 2014 07:17 pm
an AK47

okay it's not new, but it's definitely a problem solver
ehBeth

Mon 28 Jul, 2014 07:22 pm
@Samu93,
Self-cleaning ovens don't really cost more than regular ovens.

Why can't there be an affordable self-cleaning toilet?

I'd rather clean an oven than a toilet.
chai2

Mon 28 Jul, 2014 08:01 pm
@ehBeth,
I want a self cleaning bathroom.
roger

Mon 28 Jul, 2014 09:33 pm
@chai2,
I want a clean bathroom.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Tue 29 Jul, 2014 12:35 am
@djjd62,
what the deej said
(but I'll settle for an Uzi)
0 Replies

Ragman

Tue 29 Jul, 2014 06:57 am
@Samu93,
belly button lint cleaner
0 Replies

dalehileman

Tue 29 Jul, 2014 11:23 am
@Samu93,
An electronic switch in the form of a disk inserted in a socket, to control a lamp for instance, by toggling, alternately switched on or off with successive application of power. This device would permit two lights or other appliances on the same circuit to be controlled independently

For instance Sam abover my bed I have a fan with attached light, at bedtime wish I could turn on just the fan without the need to unscrew the bulb

I keep hoping such a thing already exists but so far no luck finding it

chai2

Tue 29 Jul, 2014 11:38 am
@dalehileman,
um. you don't need to unscrew the bulb. You just pull the cord the activates the fan.

Don't you have 2 cords/chains hanging from your ceiling fans?
dalehileman

Tue 29 Jul, 2014 01:15 pm
@chai2,
Alas thanks Chai but I was oversimplifying. Of course there are two chains but I'd still like to nail my proposal since---matters of convenience aside---it might prove cheaper and easier than the eventual dismounting and disassembly to replace a pull switch

Bedsides I am thinking of others with similar but more critical needs, such as lights etc on the same switch but in separate rooms. To this end a variation of my "invention" might entail a sequence of 3 or 4 where the requirement is more involved
0 Replies

Samu93

Thu 31 Jul, 2014 11:32 am
@luismtzzz,
Thanks for the idea, I tend to design medical products so this would be a very good area to look into. Is there any other areas in which you believe medical products could be improved? One area I personally think is apparatus for the young disabled as the current products are designed solely for purpose and don't consider form.

Many Thanks
Romeo Fabulini

Thu 31 Jul, 2014 11:36 am
I'd like somebody to invent a computer app or whatever that ensures the sound always comes out of our speakers at the same comfortable level.
At the moment as we surf around (say in youtube), we have to keep constantly adjusting our volume knob up and down because the sound level varies from vid to vid
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Thu 31 Jul, 2014 11:40 am
Here's a real money-spinning idea that's waiting to be invented-
A PUNCTURE-PROOF BICYCLE TYRE!
It'd have to be solid rubber all the way through of course (no more hassle of pumping it up) but springy enough to absorb bumps, I'm sure a special rubber compound could be formulated to do the job..Smile
luismtzzz

Thu 31 Jul, 2014 11:49 am
@Samu93,
Othoscopes are a very important medical gadget. Unfortunatedly they are vey expensive. This is strange since considering how led technology has improved a lot and we can have high quality lamps at a very cheap price and at the size of a piece of chalk. We still use heavy bulky othoscopes with troublesome on and off buttons and not ergonomic grips.

roger

Thu 31 Jul, 2014 12:09 pm
On less important note, I would like to see a new kind of weed cutter. At present, there is a more or less spear - like device with an inverted vee shaped cutter. Good design, but fails on the tougher, woody weeds. The same implement could be made with compression spring and auto release that would hammer the point in without losing contact with the base of the weed.

If the concept isn't clear, machinists use an automatic center punch. With the point on the layout, pressure is applied till the spring tension is released and a small but accurate punch mark is produced.
0 Replies

Samu93

Fri 1 Aug, 2014 08:57 am
@luismtzzz,
Thanks, so a new range of general medical apparatus would be a good area to look into re-designing?
0 Replies

Samu93

Fri 1 Aug, 2014 08:58 am
@jack2927,
So a multifunctional tool that combines all the general DIY tools in one that is sleeker than the general tape measure size would be of use to you?
0 Replies

Samu93

Fri 1 Aug, 2014 09:04 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Thanks, yeah I think this would be a very good area to look into but sadly I don't have the scientific knowledge to go into this subject! The current products available for this are linked below, but truth be told I don't know how they perform and if they do fully prevent punctures.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/schwalbe/marathon-plus-20-x-135-ec018432?country=GB&currency=GBP#features