Is it normal to be upset like this? How to move on?

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 12:33 pm
I was seeing a guy for a month and then he pulled the disappearing act on me. Around 1.5 months later he messaged me to apologize and said he didn't think things could go any further between us. What's with the reappearing and apologizing really? The moment has passed. I already knew that he got back with his ex (or maybe she's a new girl, I'm not sure). I was upset, and still am. It's been 3 months since the last time I met him. Is it strange that I still think of him and get upset over this whole thing? Plus I can't help comparing myself to that other girl. I feel helpless. How to move on?

jespah

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 12:38 pm
@comeeliz,
First off, it really isn't you. It's him.

He's a jerk.

I think you need to get righteously angry. Not to the point of throwing stuff or marching down to where he works or anything like that. Just, be angry. He was at best discourteous, at worst, downright hurtful. You were together for not a very long amount of time, but it was longer than a week. And then he didn't even have the balls to say, "I'm sorry, but it's not working out." Even a lame breakup would have been preferable, amiright?

So go ahead and get angry. He was immature.

And once you've been angry for an hour or two, let it go.

He's not worth it.

Hold your head high. You did nothing wrong.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 01:11 pm
Jespah's right. Allow yourself to feel your feelings of hurt and anger. But, when you start comparing yourself to what he left you for - you're hurting yourself. You're judging yourself - and beginning to want that guy back in an unhealthy way. Otherwise, why do you CARE what the new girl looks like...

You are perfectly you. No one else can beat you at it. The lovely thing we're all looking for has a combination of traits we all deserve + a strong attraction to who we are. This guy didn't have what it takes to be your guy. We're all just so afraid that our person will never come, so many many of us try to smash everyone who comes along into the mold of "our guy" or "our girl."

If you need an action to improve your post-bad break-up feelings, think about this:

Get a beautiful journal and begin by listing at least 5 things that are awesome about you. Look at them. Own them. Begin a love affair with yourself.

List what you consider your 5 most notable weaknesses.

I have a lot more in this area, but you may have lost interest. If not, pipe up.

An additional note: Unfortunately, society dictates that most romantic relationships are sparked by physical attraction. I think the strongest chance for a relationship to survive is if it begins with a friendship. Following this logic, spending time engaged in an activity that you're passionate about brings you into contact with other people who share your passion. This can lead to friendship and time together getting to know each other - which may lead to a strong connection.

What do you love to do? Is there a place others gather to do the same thing? The best way to battle sadness after losing a dude is to strengthen your relationship with yourself and seek ways to pursue your passions. Then, things are likely to fall into place - meanwhile, you are becoming a more exciting, self-reliant woman.

Good luck, my dear. That guy wasn't worth your attention.
jespah

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 02:01 pm
@Lash,
Well said.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 03:14 pm
I'm looking at the timeline here.

You only dated him for a month. Even if you saw him a couple of times a week, you still only when on 8 dates....maybe 10 on the extreme end. It was only 4 weeks, 30 days. Maybe you only went out with him 3 or 4 times.

In my mind, a month of dating doesn't add up to a lot, especially if after that time he just disappears. I would have wondered about him not calling me for about a week. I probably would have called to see if he was all right. During the 2nd week, he may have popped into my mind once or twice. After that, I wouldn't be thinking about it at all.

If he showed up after a month and a half of not seeing him, and announced "We're not going out any more", my response would be "No ****."
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 03:17 pm
Wait.

Is this after the other guy you dated for a month, then ran him off by telling him he looked tired all the time?

http://able2know.org/topic/245809-1#post-5678131

Is this the usual thing that you date someone a month, and then they stop contacting you?
Lash

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 07:02 pm
@chai2,
Same girl. After I read this, I saw the Tired Weekday Dater saga...
chai2

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 07:14 pm
@Lash,
I still can't get over the fact that dating someone for a month is considered relationship worthy.

A whole month? WOW.
Lash

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 07:44 pm
@chai2,
Life moves quite briskly for Millennials, it seems.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 09:05 pm
Quote:
Comeeliz said: I was seeing a guy for a month and then he pulled the disappearing act on me. Around 1.5 months later he messaged me to apologize and said he didn't think things could go any further between us

Happens all the time to us whether we're male or female, so get over it and move on..Smile
0 Replies