Is this a good method before charging a Li-ion battery?

Gutmann

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 10:06 pm
Should I fully discharge the battery (the voltage exactly drops to 0V) before charging it up again? And why?

View best answer, chosen by Gutmann
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 10:09 pm
@Gutmann,
I don't think those batteries have a memory, so it doesn't matter when you recharge them. I don't worry about it, and carry an extra fully charged battery for my camera.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 10:11 pm
@Gutmann,
No. Never fully discharge any kind of lithium battery. It's possible they will never work again. Actually, most quality devices have a protective circuit which shuts everything down before they completely discharge.

This story goes back to the days of the nickel cadmium batteries which developed a sort of memory. Lithium batteries are a whole different chemistry.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 10:16 pm
@roger,
I think you're spot on! When the battery runs too low, it just stops working. Sometimes, you can wait a few minutes, turn it on, and get another shot. I'm not sure how much reserve is left in the battery, but your equipment is programmed to let you know when to recharge it.
0 Replies

Gutmann

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 10:21 pm
@roger,
err, i mean, i never short-circuit them because it's a dangerous thing to do but use them until there's almost no more left (most devices put on a low battery warning when the voltage drops to certain level but i takes out the battery and use it elsewhere). i have done this serveral times.
roger
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 10:30 pm
@Gutmann,
You might spend some time on this site. http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Whatever you need to know is on there somewhere. There is also a forum called candlepower. I think it's just candlepower.com, though I didn't test it for you.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is this a good method before charging a Li-ion battery?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 02:46:08