cheating.advice

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 07:45 am
So me and my boyfriend have been seeing each other for about 3 yrs. A couple months ago he was really depressed with his life. We would talk about how he felt like his life was just work and sleep and how he had 0 time for himself. Our relationship suffered alot. We would go a full week without seeing each other and he said he was fine with it. Come to find out this is the exact time he cheated. When I found out he was quick to admit. He didn't try to cover it up. He told me he drank a lot at a party one night and made out with one of the girls there. He owned up to his actions and I sensed he was being sincere. He said he was in a bad place and doesn't know what he was thinking. Going on the say it made him realize what he wanted in life. The way I see it is I'm glad he was able to man up to it but where does that leave us.. We're both to blame for that rough time we were going through but while I was fighting with him trying to fix things he was pulling away and went and did what he did. He accepts the fact that he fucked up and told me to take 2 weeks to think of what I wanted to do but I'm completely lost. I've always said I'd leave if I ever got cheated on but I would hate to see our relationship fail after all we've been through. I love him but also need him to respect me. How am I supposed to trust that it was only one time. And how am I supposed to trust it won't happen again. I feel embrassed, insecure, angry, hurt and confused... Any advice ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 854 • Replies: 5
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 08:58 am
@californiaking3322,
Trust takes time.

He is going to have to prove, over time, that he can be trusted again.

At the same time, I think you need to spend some time and reflect honestly on whether you think you will ever trust him again.

I'd suggest both of you taking a slight step back. Start dating each other a little bit again - spend some time getting to know each other better - try not to focus on the history you have together (it's dangerous - both with good and bad memories).

I'm not one of the people that believes "once a cheater, always a cheater", but I also don't think all couples can get over cheating - and it is an active process for both partners for those couples who do recover.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 09:02 am
@californiaking3322,
californiaking3322 wrote:
He accepts the fact that he fucked up and told me to take 2 weeks to think of what I wanted to do but I'm completely lost. I've always said I'd leave if I ever got cheated on but I would hate to see our relationship fail after all we've been through.

specifically to these sentences - there has already been a relationship fail, and two weeks is just not enough time to determine if there can be a new, different relationship going forward.

Again, I'd suggest you think about whether you can truly forgive him and then decide if you want to try dating him again.

He may try to rush to regain the old relationship - offer taking more serious steps etc.

If you decide you can try dating him again, let him know this is going to have to be a slow, relaxed process. Hopefully he can understand that - and honour your request to have time for you to develop a new relationship.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 06:06 pm
When he said to take 2 weeks and think about it, you should be known it was over.

If he really wanted you back he would have acted desperate and would have wanted to be very close you to at all costs.

Let this guy go. He is showing you that he wants his freedom. He just doesn't have the guts to tell you.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 08:25 pm
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
Let this guy go. He is showing you that he wants his freedom. He just doesn't have the guts to tell you.
Maybe, maybe not. But for whatever reason he seems not willing to fight for the relationship, which means according to me that no one should fight to stay with him. I need passion, I have no use for an intimate relationship that does not include this.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 08:26 pm
So ........
0 Replies