Does my husband really love ME?

dc2014

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 08:27 am
Been married for 6 years, have 2 little kids. I feel like he's not interested in ME as a person and I don't know if he ever was, looking back. Whenever I have outside hobbies or interests he doesn't seem interested. I KNOW that he does not have to be interested in my hobbies, but I would like to feel like he is interested in ME, as a person. For example, I competed in a competition recently and when I got home (he couldn't attend because of work) he didn't ask me one question about it or about how I did. So of course, I was excited and talked his ear off for a little bit, but he just seemed annoyed and still didn't ask any questions. Later he initiated sex and I was a little hurt, so wasn't in the mood (and no, I do not turn him down a whole lot). I told him my feelings and he got defensive right away and said he just got home from work and all I did was talk his ear off when he just wanted to relax. Usually I DO give him his space when he gets home from work...I know he does need some time to unwind, but this time I felt like he was being selfish and wished that he would put aside his own needs or wants for just this one time and be happy for me and actually act like he cared. If the shoe were on the other foot, I would've asked him questions when he got home whether or not I cared about his hobby, because I care about HIM. Looking back, I realize that he's always kind of been like this and I just crave for someone to care about me as a person, even if they don't have the same interests. Sometimes I feel like I'm just around for the sex. Other than that I feel like I don't get a lot of attention. He's either on his phone or the computer or watching tv. I'm the only one who really seems to do things around the house too, but that's another issue that I decided to live with and put behind me for the most part. I guess maybe I feel like more and more is that I don't have a "partner."

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 08:55 am
Seven year itch. Seek some counseling about communication.
chai2

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 09:42 am
Sorry I have to break this to you, but you are married to a guy.

Next case.

Oh, and the shoe doesn't go on the other foot. You have your shoes and he has his.....that's bonus info.
dc2014

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 10:00 am
@chai2,
Thanks for the GREAT advice. So now I can raise my daughter with the knowledge that she can marry a "guy" .... you know, the stereotypical "sit on the couch in his underwear, scratch his balls a little with no care in the world around him" while she works her ass off around the house, raising the kids and not getting attention from the person she wanted to live her life with. If that's the case, then maybe I should steer her towards finding a woman.

Even though my husband is not that bad (as the stereotypical image), all I wanted was advice as to how to feel a little more love, which yes, even "guys" are capable of.
dc2014

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 10:01 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Thank you...I will have to do that.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 11:19 am
@dc2014,
dc2014 wrote:

Thanks for the GREAT advice.

You're welcome.

Your daughter can of course marry a guy like the one you described. Or, she can be more careful than you were and marry someone different.

Daughters don't have to fall victim to the same mistakes their mothers made. You apparantly feel like you married someone like that.

In fact, you were the one who put the negative connotation on the word "guy" as a knuckle dragging, mouth breathing troglodyte.

My meaning of "guy" is not so drastic. It just means that most guys are not apt to want to hear all the details, don't care for blow by blow descriptions of what happened during the course of the day. Give him a break. He's just a bloke really.

Good luck with changing someone's basic personality.

chai2

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 11:29 am
@chai2,
Here's how guys and blokes are.....

thanks to izzythepush.
0 Replies

silentwatch2

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 12:24 pm
@dc2014,
dc..
First of all a marriage is a marriage. You should feel that it is your partner. but that is another matter.. will come to that..

On the final day God will ask you not how many times your husband hurt you or not supported you... but the question will be how many times you have been supportive.? we never know what somebody is going through or feeling inside. we should let go of somethings... even when we are through the saddest part we should be prepared as if we are the capable of the two to adjust to...
goodluck
CoastalRat

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 12:38 pm
@dc2014,
Quote:
I realize that he's always kind of been like this
Exactly. And by and large, people do not change just because you want them to change. So why don't you change? Don't try to engage him immediately after he gets home from work. Give him time to relax. Do you sit down to dinner together as a family? That would be a wonderful time to talk about your day and ask him about his day? If you do not sit down for dinner together, why not start? Dinner table conversation is one opportunity for everyone to stay connected.

Just a suggestion.
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 02:52 pm
How was your husband raised?
My first husband was raised in a home where the mother was expected to be home and have a hot dinner ready when he came home from the bar. He was never interested in her artwork or her needs. Needless to say, their sons cannot have long term relationships. Divorce long ago, thank god.

Second husband really liked and respected women. He was a great listener, too. He helped me be the person I am today and was always supportive of everything I did. Great marriage for 25 years. His mother was treated with respect in the home.

so . . . my point is that your husband does not have a sense of what it is to listen to a woman and be sensitive to her needs. He needs to be taught that. Hold his face in your hands gently and say, "Dear, I need you to listen to me. I need more attention and for you to be connected to me once in a while so i can tell you what is going on in my life. I promise i will do that with you, too."

Marriage encounter sessions or marriage counseling is in order for you two.

Good luck.

PS - Second husband was NOT handy, but we HIRED people to do those things around the house. Tell him that''s how it's going to be. Stop wearing yourself out.

Debra Law

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 03:09 pm
@dc2014,
dc2014 wrote:

Been married for 6 years, have 2 little kids. I feel like he's not interested in ME as a person and I don't know if he ever was, looking back. Whenever I have outside hobbies or interests he doesn't seem interested. I KNOW that he does not have to be interested in my hobbies, but I would like to feel like he is interested in ME, as a person. For example, I competed in a competition recently and when I got home (he couldn't attend because of work) he didn't ask me one question about it or about how I did. So of course, I was excited and talked his ear off for a little bit, but he just seemed annoyed and still didn't ask any questions. Later he initiated sex and I was a little hurt, so wasn't in the mood (and no, I do not turn him down a whole lot). I told him my feelings and he got defensive right away and said he just got home from work and all I did was talk his ear off when he just wanted to relax. Usually I DO give him his space when he gets home from work...I know he does need some time to unwind, but this time I felt like he was being selfish and wished that he would put aside his own needs or wants for just this one time and be happy for me and actually act like he cared. If the shoe were on the other foot, I would've asked him questions when he got home whether or not I cared about his hobby, because I care about HIM. Looking back, I realize that he's always kind of been like this and I just crave for someone to care about me as a person, even if they don't have the same interests. Sometimes I feel like I'm just around for the sex. Other than that I feel like I don't get a lot of attention. He's either on his phone or the computer or watching tv. I'm the only one who really seems to do things around the house too, but that's another issue that I decided to live with and put behind me for the most part. I guess maybe I feel like more and more is that I don't have a "partner."

You are describing a typical complaint. In the hierarchy of needs, you and your husband rank your most important needs differently. I recommend that you visit the marriage builders website and read the articles.
0 Replies

Love Unplugged

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 04:11 pm
@dc2014,
You did identify that he was like he was from the start. But something still made you desire him - I call them appetizing values. The sort of things which attracted you to him in the first place. A package attraction which is often hard to explain. Values in another are hard to explain so we do the best we can. He may have also been a pass at the time as you where ready to marry (just examples)

The sort of daily examples you describe are common (as replied already) but shouldn't be accepted. You are living in a dull marriage with your flourishing spark found in your interests, and him his interests on the computer perhaps. We also desire the intimate spark found in sex which is the value concretization of the values we seek or posses in another. This part is dim or absent by the looks. You need to own your decisions in staying in a dim relationship. By staying in this relationship you value the ethics or morals which are part of the institution of marriage. The ethics of duty, sacrifice, and compromise which are an anchor on our flourish seeking soul.

By staying you have chosen the morals and duty part and perhaps the security and stable part of a marriage. Together with children in re mix adds weight to such thoughts. A loveless (by both partners) relationship is companionship. Of this is what one desires this is fine. Real love was, is, and will always be a selfish pursuit and is a genuine rarity to obtain. The advice of selfishness as derogatory is misguided and is the answer to real love versus the vice many comment on. One just needs to check their own actions and intentions to qualify one's genuine volition.

The idea of working on communication as some would suggest is actually an outcome of lost values in the relationship. Those appetizing values which drew you to the other such as attractiveness, nice nature, and interests are lost or being lost. This is where objective compatibilities take over to give longevity to relationships. A deficit it seems in your dilemma.

Finally with counseling. Not the best suggestion to spring on a bloke who thinks he's done nothing wrong. A pride damaging action to a male which often is lost forever as he will perieve he is the issue. A couple is then forced to work at the futile relationship trying to narrow a canyon which is in place.

I wish you luck. To stay and suffer is thought as a virtue. But also not the best for one's wellbeing. This should be a primary in ones own happiness pursuit. Often the sacrificer keeps sacrificing to oblivion to an insightless incompatible brute or forcer by guit or tears.
contrex

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 04:56 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

You're welcome.

Your daughter can of course marry a guy like the one you described. Or, she can be more careful than you were and marry someone different.
[...]

I don't know what IDIOT voted down this very good advice.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 04:58 pm
@silentwatch2,
silentwatch2 wrote:
On the final day God will ask you not how many times your husband hurt you or not supported you... but the question will be how many times you have been supportive.?

What a pile of horse ****.

chai2

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 06:29 pm
@contrex,
Truly a huge pile.

This crap royally pisses me off, especially because so many people feel like they have to always be the giver, the nuturer, the person who always says "well, maybe it's because.....", making excuses for the other persons behavior.

This hegemony, this manipulation of others to "play nice" apparantly doesn't apply to the one's that want the license to do whatever the **** they want.

Someone writes this garbage that sounds like it comes out of a Hallmark card. I want to ask them how the hell they know what some god is going to ask them at the pearly gates.....let's see...."how much of someone's **** did you have to eat because you were told by some idiot that's what I wanted?"

That's just as bad as someone like the OP who knew what someone's personality was like, but subsequently decides she wants this person to change who they've always been, to prove "they love me"

I'll tell you one thing. If I could write cloying bullshit like this silent watcher person, I could really screw with a lot of peoples head.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 06:38 pm
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:
And by and large, people do not change just because you want them to change. So why don't you change?

really?

he's not going to change so she should?

I usually think you give decent advice but this is just crap.
chai2

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 06:40 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

CoastalRat wrote:
And by and large, people do not change just because you want them to change. So why don't you change?

really?

I usually think you give decent advice but this is just crap.

I think he meant that rhetorically, but I could be wrong.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 06:40 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:

the choices are:

1) she changes

2) she accepts

3) she leaves
0 Replies

dc2014

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 10:07 am
@PUNKEY,
He was raised mostly by his dad. His mom left and he despised her for it. So he truly never got to see a relationship and what one should look like.
0 Replies

dc2014

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 10:08 am
@Love Unplugged,
I think my needs have changed, as well because in the beginning of our relationship, the things that bother me now didn't bother me back then. I've always heard that some people divorce because "people change" and I've never really understood that until now.