I know where your cat lives

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 08:04 am
Have you seen this?

http://iknowwhereyourcatlives.com/cat/af1134eaf9

Quote:
I Know Where Your Cat Lives is a data experiment that visualizes a sample of 1 million public pics of cats on a world map, locating them by the latitude and longitude coordinates embedded in their metadata. The cats were accessed via publicly available APIs provided by popular photo sharing websites. The photos were then run through various clustering algorithms using a supercomputer at Florida State University in order to represent the enormity of the data source.

Is your cat on there?

Sturgis

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 10:02 am
@boomerang,
My sweet begonia, my little bouillabaisse, is no longer with us having departed to the great great Mouse, Fish and Bird chasing afterwards.

If he were still here I'd be quite concerned about his wellbeing since that site seems kind of stalking. (Further reading of the site mentions that it additionally has people tracking capability - not a pleasant notion)

If folks don't object to being tracked, that's fine by me, I'd rather maintain at least a few traces of privacy.
boomerang

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 10:35 am
@Sturgis,
I completely agree that it's unsettling!

I think that might have been their intent...
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 10:41 am
@boomerang,
I posted some photos here of my cats, but I'm pretty sure that when I did, I posted not from where they lived but my then or now present home areas when I posted. I assume that is true for many, so the whole thing is flawed.
luismtzzz

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 03:23 pm
@boomerang,
This may be a plot of the Melmaquians, so they can find easy source of nourishment in the event of an invsion.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 03:29 pm
@ossobuco,
To translate what I tried to say, my cats aren't where they think they are.
farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 03:30 pm
@ossobuco,
we haf vay to trek your ket. You kent fuel uz.
Mwah ha ha
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 03:35 pm
@luismtzzz,
I looked up Melmaquian on google - which at first didn't want to provide me an answer - and I find it's some person's name. I suspect there is more to it. Perhaps Melmaquians are a group afraid of invasion by canines?
luismtzzz

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 03:41 pm
@ossobuco,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALF_(comics)#Marvel_Comics
0 Replies

luismtzzz

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 03:44 pm
@ossobuco,
My bad, the term traslated to english in Melmacian not Melmaquian
dlowan

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 03:45 pm
@boomerang,
Nope.
0 Replies

luismtzzz

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 03:53 pm
@ossobuco,
And by the way i read the fundaments of the proyect and it is possible that one of your cats´photos could have ended up on the proyect.

They grab cat pictures that where uploaded to public servers on the internet. Every multimedia file has a tag added called metadata. This metadata hosts important infromation about the photo. Like type and the date, the device used for the file creatinon. Many modern electronic devices, principally cell phones, have always localization services.

If you are not carefull your cellphone may automatically be tagging the position of your cellphone using gps or wifi net on the metadata of your photos. With out you even noticing. Since it is GPS information it is very very accurate.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 04:27 pm
@luismtzzz,
Ha! Well, I'm ignorant of Marvel Comics, though I've heard of them. A friend of mine named her dog Marvel.
luismtzzz

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 04:42 pm
@ossobuco,
I loved ALF tv series. I had just realized his franchise is owned by Marvel comics.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 05:24 pm
@luismtzzz,
Cats are one thing but this "hidden" location information is contain in a great deal of uploaded photos including children and young women.

You do need to check your camera/phone to see if it set to places GPS locations on the photos.
luismtzzz

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 05:33 pm
@BillRM,
That is completely true. I had scolded my nices a few times for uploading their gps position on facebook.

It is really easy to avoid such information to leak by simple disableing the localization services on your android device. And having always blocked the gps tracker.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 05:46 pm
@luismtzzz,
Probably not mine - unless they've mined old a2k photos loaded from photobucket. I've got an almost antique cell phone - no texting, no camera, no musical ring tone. But even with this new technology, people do move and take their cats with them, or one hopes they do.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 05:49 pm
@luismtzzz,
The one thing I think that the phone gps is good for is if you go hiking in the wilderness and get hurt somehow. I gather that at least sometimes they can track the phone.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 06:47 pm
@boomerang,
No, neither of them are, nor are any of the other cats down my road.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 07:04 pm
funny, none of the feral cats in my neighbourhood seem to have facebook accounts or smart phones
0 Replies