Early release for 46,000 federal prison inmates (drug offenders)

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 04:45 am
Sentencing Commission approves early release for tens of thousands of federal drug prisoners

Excerpt from article:

Quote:
The U.S. Sentencing Commission, which earlier this year voted to substantially lower recommended sentences for drug-dealing felons, voted unanimously to retroactively apply that change to prisoners now behind bars.

More than 46,000 inmates, including many who have already served a decade or longer in prison, would be eligible to seek early release under the commission's decision. A judge would review the case of each prisoner seeking to get out early to decide if the release would jeopardize public safety. The releases would start in November 2015 and be phased in over a period of years.

I think this is another significant step toward ending our "war on drugs", which has caused considerable harm to the world.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 853 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 04:55 am
@Debra Law,
Amazing. The gummint is begining to behave reasonably and rationally? What next?
Debra Law

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 03:29 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Amazing. The gummint is begining to behave reasonably and rationally? What next?

We're moving toward enlightenment at a snail's pace.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 03:41 pm
Good to hear...I've made my comment about this ad nauseam. Stupid ay for us to spend tax dollars.
Debra Law

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 06:37 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

Good to hear...I've made my comment about this ad nauseam. Stupid ay for us to spend tax dollars.

I agree.
0 Replies