What's this electrical gadget called

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 04:34 pm
It's an electronic switch in the form of disk placed for instance in a lamp socket to alternately turn the bulb on or off. That is, with every other application of power the lamp stays off

It might be used to independently control two different appliances from a single toggle switch. For instance you have two lamps (or banks, say in separate rooms) presently controlled by the same switch but want only one to be on at any time

Or you have a fan with attached light but you don't always want the bulb to be on when the fan is going. This gadget would make it unnecessary to unscrew the bulb each such time

…..and lazy or incompetent (like me) you're of course reluctant to tear up or bore holes in the walls or timber to add wiring or install new switches

In a little more elaborate system the disk might instead be remotely controlled by radio signal

Anyhow I'd like to know what this gadget is called

…if indeed any such thing exists

Thanks fellas
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 572 • Replies: 9
No top replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 05:08 pm
The Clapper.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 05:23 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Aha

Thank you Bob

Still wondering however…..
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 09:16 pm
@dalehileman,
When I googled "electronic disk lamp socket switch", your thread was numero uno up, Dale.

But googling"electronic disk lamp socket" seemed to bring up the most likely stuff to answer your question.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 10:47 pm
@dalehileman,
We have several versions of these from QVC in our house. It might fit the problem you are trying to solve.

We use them for remotely turning on lights in the bedrooms from the living room rather than stumbling around in the dark. We also use them for remotely turning on the lamps in the living room at dusk.

I use one in my bedroom for turning on and off a window fan, and also the television set and light while in my bed. You can have several in the house and the signals do not cross.

http://www.qvc.com/Globe-Electric-Indoor-Wireless-Set-of-3-Remote-Control-Outlets.product.V32278.html?sc=V32278-ISRC

Quote:
Includes one remote control transmitter with one A23G battery and three outlet receivers
Works through doors, floors, and walls with a range of up to 80'
Pre-coded for easy out-of-the-box operation
Approximate measurements: Remote control transmitter 4-1/4"L x 1-5/8"W x 3/4"D; Receivers 3-1/8"L x 2-1/8"W x 1-5/8"D

http://images.qvc.com/is/image/v/78/v32278.001?$uslarge$

The receiver plugs into a wall outlet

http://images.qvc.com/is/image/v/78/v32278.002?$uslarge$

And the device you want to operate plugs into the receiver.

http://images.qvc.com/is/image/v/78/v32278.006?$uslarge$
Jameswilson

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 11:55 pm
Computers, TVs and electronic gadgets require large amounts of energy and raw materials to produce, and dealing with electronic waste is a growing challenge. By cutting down on energy use, and disposing of unwanted equipment carefully, you can reduce the harmful impact of electronic goods on the environment.
roger

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 12:03 am
@Jameswilson,
No one is required to reply when they have nothing to say. You don't seem to.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 09:59 am
@JTT,
Quote:
"electronic disk lamp socket" seemed to bring up the most likely stuff
Thanks JTT, I'll try it
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 10:04 am
@Butrflynet,
Thank you But, intriguing if not quite what I was looking for

….which indeed might yet not exist
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 10:08 am
@roger,
That's funny, Roger.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What's this electrical gadget called
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 04:43:56