Word 2003 Footnotes using weird symbols

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 03:40 pm
I have a large document with over 2500 footnotes. Somehow they became "corrupted". I say that because the symbol that is being used is not a number nor is it one of the symbols that can be chosen from the footnote dialog box. The symbol is an empty box for the first foortnote of a page and the second footnote is 2 empty boxes. The text is right and the reference is correct. I can right-click and choose "Go to footnote" and it goes right to it. When I try to change those symbols to numbers, nothing happens. The empty boxes don't change. I have checked to see if Track Changes is chosen, but it is not. Even if I turn it on and off, the symbols don't change. The creator of this document needs to stay with Word 2003 for other reasons.

jespah

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 04:15 pm
@axiomcrs,
Is it possible that the footnotes are in a font not loaded in the document reader's (I'm talking about your computer, versus the one where the document was originally written) Word 2003 application?

Try selecting the box where you'd expect to find a number (on the footnote itself) and go to the Home tab on the ribbon and change the font to something preloaded, like Times New Roman, and see if it fixes things.
axiomcrs

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 08:45 am
@jespah,
Thanks for your reply. The font was already New Times Roman. I tried changing it to something else, but it did nothing. I am wondering if it may be related to the Normal template. I'll try looking down that path. And then maybe looking up superscript errors. Perhaps several other things that are wrong at the same time are related and could provide a further clue to fixing this. The hyperlinks are not showing just as a hyperlink, they look like this: HYPERLINK "http://www.pamunkeydavenport.com" http://www.pamunkeydavenport.com . I just noticed that in the post the actual link portion of the last sentence appears in blue, this does not happen in the Word document. There are extra characters that did not show up from the cut and paste: 2 exclamation points at the beginning in front of the word HYPERLINK, at the end a symbol which looks like an upside down T, and in the middle a paragraph symbol shows up between com" and http. The exact characters probably don't provide any clue to fixing this, but may point to a more fundamental issue. Also, another strange thing that is happening is that the page numbers appear like this: - PAGE 11 - . they also contain the same strange characters like the hyperlink which did not come over from the cut and paste, i.e. 2 exclamation points, an upside T, and a paragraph symbol all in the same placement.
jespah

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 09:04 am
@axiomcrs,
The hyperlinks are set up incorrectly.

You can fix this by selecting the text to be hyperlinked, then go to the Insert tab. Select hyperlink from the tab and paste the link in there. Click OK and you've got a correctly-formatted hyperlink. Then just delete whatever isn't the hyperlinked text.

It sounds a lot like it's a bad paste/formatting job. Perhaps this document started off in a different format? Was it maybe an older version of Word originally, or even a different program, like Open Office?
0 Replies