0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 12:01 pm
@ehBeth,
Please give her my regards.
Germlat

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 01:45 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I think Frank is an interesting character....his history alone. He's been exposed to all sorts. Also C.I. worth mentioning.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 04:46 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

I think Frank is an interesting character....his history alone. He's been exposed to all sorts. Also C.I. worth mentioning.

I was commenting on folks who no longer post here.

However, I enjoy Frank and would not like to see him depart A2K.
Germlat

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 04:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I agree!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 06:54 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Also true: I saw treatment of a woman I considered to be impeccably behaved - who had conservative opinions - that was so bad, I kept reading back to see what crime she'd committed. She was ripped at by a mob for over a year, ruthlessly - I was on a bit of a hiatus, very busy with classes. I had no time to be here, but I'd occasionally just peek in. Even though she hadn't been a personal friend, and I hadn't agreed with her more than about 30% of the time, I was sickened to see her treatment. I never could find a good reason for it, and imagined they were doing a Lord of the Flies purge of conservatives - as they had already rid the place of most with that political leaning. I remember wishing she'd leave just to spare herself of further horror. Thinking about it now, I have most likely been the similar object of that sentiment at different times.

You are, no doubt, referring to Foxfyre, formerly a frequent poster here who was best known for being blissfully unconcerned with facts, evidence, and logic. It is true that those in the fact-based community - myself among them - were, at times, infuriated by her blissful unconcern with facts, evidence, and logic, and she often had to respond to four or five different posters at once, all pointing out various errors in her monumentally stupid positions. To her credit, however, she managed herself quite well in these exchanges, although it should be remembered that her task was not all that difficult, given that she was, after all, blissfully unconcerned with facts, evidence, and logic.

Like you, I too am sorry that Foxfyre has left the forum. Not because her opinions were valued - far from it, her positions were, as I noted above, monumentally stupid - but because she was one of those rare individuals who could always be depended upon to spark an interesting and lively debate. She was, as Lenin might have said, a "useful idiot," and although it might appear that we have a superabundance of them at A2K, we can always use more useful idiots like her around here.
blatham

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 07:13 pm
@joefromchicago,
For reasons implicit in Joe's piece above, I've always taken some pride in being a useless idiot.

roger

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 07:14 pm
@newstep,
newstep wrote:

I don't know why you could determine I've only been observing a week...no sir. That would be idiotic. Try months...even a year or longer. I know another one here...I won't expose him though .

Then your topic question was kind of pointless.
margo

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 07:37 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

For reasons implicit in Joe's piece above, I've always taken some pride in being a useless idiot.

Yep - me, too!
newstep

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 07:42 pm
@roger,
Not at all. I obtained what I needed. To me it's only numbers. All else is up to you and your benefit. I'm done. It's observational for me. I'm done. Last post.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 09:10 pm
@joefromchicago,
Had I just seen close questioning, Joe, I'd agree. It was, many times, a cruel feeding frenzy filled with personal insult from a multitude.

I suppose sometimes it was as you say. We are all free to go back and survey the carnage.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 09:47 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Also true: I saw treatment of a woman I considered to be impeccably behaved - who had conservative opinions - that was so bad, I kept reading back to see what crime she'd committed. She was ripped at by a mob for over a year, ruthlessly - I was on a bit of a hiatus, very busy with classes. I had no time to be here, but I'd occasionally just peek in. Even though she hadn't been a personal friend, and I hadn't agreed with her more than about 30% of the time, I was sickened to see her treatment. I never could find a good reason for it, and imagined they were doing a Lord of the Flies purge of conservatives - as they had already rid the place of most with that political leaning. I remember wishing she'd leave just to spare herself of further horror. Thinking about it now, I have most likely been the similar object of that sentiment at different times.

So true. Foxy. I certainly remember the ganging up on her. Many right leaning posters have been subjected to that treatment here, just not as focused.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 09:49 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
She and I were long planning to meet for coffee, but lived quite far from each other.

I never met her, but wanted to. I met Asherman during one trip through your burg.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 09:54 pm
@Ticomaya,
Even back then I had driving problems (eyes worse then). Anyway, it didn't happen.

We may still need her and hub for fantasy football.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 10:45 pm
Like many of us, I, too, was a frequent critic of Foxfyre and did not hesitate to disagree totally with her in my posts. However, I always tried to keep a civil tongue in my head and refrained from name calling because her own tone and manner were quite civil when compared to some of the wing nuts here.

Then, on my last trip back to Boston to close things down before moving permanently to the Sandwich Isles I ended up in the hospital for emergency surgery, as some of you might remember. Seaglass, in Hawaii, started a thread on my plight and encouraged A2kers to send me e-mail greetings. I also received several phone calls while recuperating in my hospital bed. Among the callers were Blueveinedthrobber, Walter Hinteler (all the way from Deutschland) and a number of the Boston folk.

And then I got a phone call from a woman in New Mexico who said, "You don't know me, or, rather, you know me as Foxfyre. I just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery and tell you that you're in my prayers."

Absolutely true story. I've never forgotten that.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 11:38 pm
@newstep,
newstep wrote:
Who are your favorite A2k characters and why?

My personal A2K character hall of fame, in no particular order ...

Dys ... crotchety old coot, and radial left-wing extremist. I never liked him, of course, but came to love him in the end. Really regret not having met him in person.

Gus ... for reasons obvious to long-time a2k'ers. Turned me on to the best CCR song ever.

kicky ... hey, it's all blue potatoes to me, man.

Roger ... from Farminton. Steady, fair, and always genteel.

Bipolarbear (aka blueveinedthrobber) ... my favorite old fart rocker.

squinney ... if for no other reason than she put up with the Bear for so many years.

Intrepid ... I can't remember why. Formerly a maple leaf avatar. Another Canuck.

Reyn ... wren or rain? Staunch chess player, and creative avatar collage-maker.

Sophia ... before she became Lash. Okay, Lash too.

Gargarmel ... everyone's favorite Kool-Aid avatar.

Ionus ... he's posted here a lot. Who is this guy, and is he friend or foe?

farmerman ... a seemingly Renaissance man, and super geologist. A favorite.

OmSigDAVID ... a retired attorney, mensan from New York ... who gives hope to every mensan hopeful that they too can be a mensan, if Dave can.

Heeven ... why do I remember Heeven? Ostrich avatar ... that I remember.

Cowdoc ... from Salmon, Idaho. County Commissioner. Have met him and the lovely Ms. Cowdoc. Love hearing his exploits about being elbow deep in cow.

JustBrooke (aka Justababblingbrooke) ... remember her?

Husker ... remember him?

Soz ... always rational and reasonable.

sublime ... Chi-town dude.

jpb ... another Chi-town personage.

JoefromChiTown ... another .... enjoy his posts when he's not too much of a leftist douche.

wandeljw ... yet another. Proud father.

Eva and Joe ... Okies.

Finn ... really enjoy his posts of late. Have always enjoyed his posts.

GeorgeOB ... would love to meet this guy.

George ... from Bean Town. One of my favorites.

Letty ... my favorite A2K DJ.

Bella/Chi2/Chi Tea ... are these the same person?

djja ... allegedly their brother?

panzade ... my favorite Floridian, bar none.

Ragman .... with the possible exception of Rags ...

jcboy ... and jcboy. (Who has now moved back to California?)

Montana .... from up North.

seed ... always spying on Montana.

slappy ... funny dude. Who didn't like slappy?

Lil'K ... gotta like a beer-loving girl.

dagmaraka ... I miss her.

neologist ... I have no idea how I feel about neo. I have a feeling he's older than dirt.

Andrew & Seaglass ... my favorite Hawaiian A2K'ers.

Walter H ... constantly in need of advice on where to place commas in his sentences, but speaks more languages than I ever will. Gets my vote for most passive aggressive poster at A2K.

Calamity Jane ... probably makes the best bratwurst ever.

OCCOM BILL ... a great guy.

timber ... miss him tremendously.

asherman ... great mind, and great writer and artist.

set ... we've tangled a time or two, but I respect the man for his strength in history (please don't tell him I said that).

ehBeth ... the ying to set's yang.

Jespah ... the glue to this project for many years, IMO. (Honorable mention to reeg ...)

Edgar ... good ol' Edgar.

spendi ... spurned by many, for reasons I've never fully realized. Perhaps his generous mysogeny, I suppose. I've never had a dull conversation with him, and always enjoyed the banter.

smorgs (aka Sarah Morgan) ... I just enjoyed seeing her post.

Rocky ... enjoy reading his diary. I know him from real life, in another life.

Shewolf ... if only I practiced law in Texas!!

C.I. ... traveled more than anyone else at A2K.

Cyclops (aka Cycloptichorn) and Diest TKO (aka Failures Art/F.A.R.T.) ... poor misguided leftists.

blatham ... recently re-arrived Canuck ... completely mis-guided chap, of course.

Roxxxanne/Chrissee/Harper/Nikki ... well, these are characters ... not my favorites, and can't say I miss them .... my first use of the "ignore feature" ..

JTT ... been on ignore for years. Worthless contributions to this forum throughout its tenure.

Roberta ... Boida ... from the Big Apple. Very classy broad.

Real Johnboy ... a North Carolinian, and my favorite fantasy sports friend.

McGentrix ... from Syracuse. Wish he posted more often.

Dlowan ... the rabbit from down-under.

margo ... another from down-under. Pleasant, and lovely.

hingehead ... another Aussie with great musical leanings.

msolga ... whatever happened to Miss Olga? Did I drive her away from A2K?

izzie!!!!! ... A truer friend to so many has never been known.

Dutchy .. Cosmic Eagle.

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 02:13 am
Djjd is indeed the brother of Tai Chi. When i first met Tai Chi, we went to a South Asian street festival in Little India. A woman whom i had never seen before came up to me and said: "You're set, right?" I thought it was one of the stranger come-ons i had ever heard. In fact, she was saying: "You're Set, right?" I don't think of myself as Set in real life, so i had no clue. Well, it was funny to us, at least.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 02:45 am
@Ticomaya,
I certainly remember the ganging up on [Foxfyre]

Not terribly surprising given that she was a movement conservative (with evangelical topping) who had absolutely no capacity for admitting to being wrong about anything, ever. She'd just slither into some new assertion.

Also not surprising because she, like many of her fellows in that camp, gain identity through imagining themselves as the victimized righteous, beset on all sides.

While here, she got to proselytize for Jesus and Ann Coulter and she had the self-satisfaction of being mauled by lions. It was perfect for her.